General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alloneword
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 04:13:41
Print Post

So what sppeds can i expect from FTTP

[link to this post]

It's early and i have forgotton how to post images so here are the links to the images to give you some idea of what i have right now, it's an EO line but i have been told by someone that we will have FTTP by Dec this year.

https://s26.postimg.org/agyq81zy1/Image_01.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/kfjouj9dl/Image_02.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/7dy04okzd/Image_03.jpg

Now i have always thought i was a fair way from my exchange but have no idea what kind of speed to expect, does anyone have any idea?

All1
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 05-Oct-17 04:57:55
Print Post

Re: So what sppeds can i expect from FTTP

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Enter your details here: https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...

Does it say you are getting FTTP?

The speed you get will be the speed you order.
If you order the 80Mb/s package that's what you will get.
If you order the 300Mb/s package that's what you will get.
Distance from the exchange makes no difference with FTTP, if that is what you are getting.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 05-Oct-17 04:58:56)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Oct-17 08:10:18
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

And if the person was wrong and it will be FTTC rather than FTTP then we can't answer the question as we don't know where the cabinet would be built.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alloneword
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:12:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Enter your details here: https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...

Does it say you are getting FTTP?

The speed you get will be the speed you order.
If you order the 80Mb/s package that's what you will get.
If you order the 300Mb/s package that's what you will get.
Distance from the exchange makes no difference with FTTP, if that is what you are getting.

That site is saying the same as it has done for the last 20 years, we are exploring etc etc.
However i have been talking to people within OR and this is a copy of the last email i got from them

We have completed the local survey and believe we have identified a solution to provide you with Ultra-Fast broadband (FTTP).

The survey details are now with our Planning Team to plan the works.

Assuming we do not encounter any major issues during the build, I am estimating a Ready For Service date of the middle of December 2017.
this guy should know his stuff so i have no reason to doubt him.

Thanks for the info on speed etc

All1
Standard User alloneword
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:17:28
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
And if the person was wrong and it will be FTTC rather than FTTP then we can't answer the question as we don't know where the cabinet would be built.
It will be FTTP as i have no cabinets near me, here is a copy of the last email i got from them

We have completed the local survey and believe we have identified a solution to provide you with Ultra-Fast broadband (FTTP).

The survey details are now with our Planning Team to plan the works.

Assuming we do not encounter any major issues during the build, I am estimating a Ready For Service date of the middle of December 2017.

All1
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:23:19
Print Post

I believe they are planning FTTP.
I don't believe service will be live by December.
3 months from planning to completion seems extremely fast for an entire FTTP build.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 17:03:53
Print Post

3 months from planning to completion seems extremely fast for an entire FTTP build.

Well don't know what to say to that John, time will tell i guess but i fail to see why someone in "Chief Engineers Team" would go to the trouble of getting one of his "engineers to undertake a local survey" have that survey done and then come back with the info posted before only to be pulling my leg, but as i say time will tell.

I'll post back just before crimbo to see if i have FTTP or stuck with my current ISP (Relish & 4G)

All1
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 10-Nov-17 23:22:34
Print Post

Well just an update John, saw a few bods from openreach round here today and asked was this FTTC or FTTP work they were doing and told it was FTTP they asked where i lived and i explained and they said yes it would be live in next few weeks 100% before crimbo and we will be getting letters and flyers from ISP's telling us what service is open to me, so for me at least it looks like santa has come early, now just to find out what the damage is going to be.

All1
Standard User willfish
(newbie) Sat 11-Nov-17 15:31:29
Print Post

From Experience of a Openreach FTTP delivery.

Tuesday 12th September, Openreach staff tipped up , commenced opening the footway junction boxes and commenced installing draw cords from each house to said footway boxes. Houses in my road are all underground duct fed.
Subsequently they installed multiway manifolds for connectorised delivery in the footway boxes. Then connected them all up to an aggregation node some 500 metres away. Disapeared leaving it all connected up I believe.
Eventually came back did testing of "light" available in each of the manifold ports. Within 5 days of this testing the BT Wholesale/ BT ADSL Checker etal went WBC FTTP Upto 330Mbps / Upto 30Mbps

This availability date was Thursday 9th November.

This "service available" delivery took circa 8 weeks some 32 working days; and during this time included some duct cleaning too.

So if they started yesterday it will be rather tight for Christmas......don't forget post being available there's the 4 to 6 week delay in installing the bit of fibre that enters the house, installing the ONT & BBU etc.

If the Openreach team are under time constraints to deliver by Christmas then no doubt they will deliver a "service available".

Best of luck and in answer to your initial question is; first "how deep are your pockets?"

I suggest you need to trawl at least 5 suppliers to get an idea of what they can deliver, what their service level agreement is, what if any download limits they impose and finally how many beer coupons a month they will want from you smile.

You'll most likey end up doing some spreadsheet bashing to find how much extra this FTTP will cost.
You should some "fun" with that no doubt. (I did).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Nov-17 16:21:39
Print Post

[re: willfish] [link to this post]

Or they could just put their postcode into https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages which will filter based on the speed/technology at the postcode.

If the postcode is live and we are not recognising it as FTTP yet, then a prod will get us to update the lists.

A random postcode with native GEA-FTTP available is SN5 4FP if people just want to see what the options are

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to