General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gazzafaegreenock
(newbie) Sun 12-Nov-17 07:08:22
Print Post

Re: So what sppeds can i expect from FTTP

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

If itís FTTP like us I wouldnít expect the speed youíre estimated to match what the checker says. I recently posted a thread about our ridiculous fluctuation in speed... from the dizzy 310mbps which weíre paying for to the sadly regular speed of 45mbps. How they can get away with advertising and charging for a 330mb package and only supplying 45mb is absolute robbery.

So in short. Whatever you see on the checker, donít get your hopes up.

Ps: if theyíre installing poles itís a 3 month wait for planning objections. They started our rural build in February and completion was 1/10/17

Edited by gazzafaegreenock (Sun 12-Nov-17 07:14:11)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Nov-17 08:27:38
Print Post

[re: gazzafaegreenock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gazzafaegreenock:
If itís FTTP like us I wouldnít expect the speed youíre estimated to match what the checker says. I recently posted a thread about our ridiculous fluctuation in speed... from the dizzy 310mbps which weíre paying for to the sadly regular speed of 45mbps. How they can get away with advertising and charging for a 330mb package and only supplying 45mb is absolute robbery.

Ps: if theyíre installing poles itís a 3 month wait for planning objections. They started our rural build in February and completion was 1/10/17

You never said anything about 45Mbits in your other post, you said 100/140Mbit, granted that's only a third to half of your speed, but its an up-to 300Mbit.

I just did a speed test on my connection (shown below) just now and its fine here.

My Broadband Speed Test

Granted my connection does drop a lot between 3pm to like 2am, basically its around 200Mbits, but my SamKnows WhiteBox says on the 2 Nov 2017, 21:00 it dropped down to 114Mbits, but that's fine.

Also if you read the DSL Checker you will see it is correct, read the part Up to example shown below of my results:

*** From BT DSL Checker ***
         Featured Products: WBC FTTP
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps): Up to 330
  Upstream Line Rate(Mbps): Up to 30
    Downstream Range(Mbps): --
WBC FTTP Availability Date: Available
      FTTP Install Process: 2 Stage

Just that certain times of the day you might see a decrease in your speed.

The worst mine has gone since I have had FTTP is shown below, but that was due to an issue in BT Network, I think most of London was down around that time.

My Broadband Speed Test

I just phoned BT and reported it and over the next 4 hours it started to come back.

The way I see it, all of us with FTTP are lucky to even get FTTP, think of the people that cannot even get fibre and are stuck on a couple of megabits if even that.

I was like you and fussed over the dropping of speed, its not worth worrying about, keep worrying about it will make you ill.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User gazzafaegreenock
(newbie) Sun 12-Nov-17 13:44:39
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

You never said anything about 45Mbits in your other post, you said 100/140Mbit, granted that's only a third to half of your speed, but its an up-to 300Mbit.

Because the last few days thatís what itís been, e.g. after I made the post.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Nov-17 15:32:41
Print Post

[re: gazzafaegreenock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Because the last few days thatís what itís been, e.g. after I made the post.

Ah, ok, maybe due to the weekend.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Sun 12-Nov-17 15:33:44)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Nov-17 16:26:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Or they could just put their postcode into https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages which will filter based on the speed/technology at the postcode.

If the postcode is live and we are not recognising it as FTTP yet, then a prod will get us to update the lists.

A random postcode with native GEA-FTTP available is SN5 4FP if people just want to see what the options are

When I do that I get options for Uno in my area but Uno say no when I put my Plusnet phone number into their checker.

"We're currently not able to offer you this service"

Not sure why a BTW based FTTC is a no no for them.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 13-Nov-17 17:53:57
Print Post

[re: willfish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by willfish:
Best of luck and in answer to your initial question is; first "how deep are your pockets?"

I suggest you need to trawl at least 5 suppliers to get an idea of what they can deliver, what their service level agreement is, what if any download limits they impose and finally how many beer coupons a month they will want from you smile.

You'll most likey end up doing some spreadsheet bashing to find how much extra this FTTP will cost.
You should some "fun" with that no doubt. (I did).

Yes this has come as a shock to me as well, i was over the moon when the guy told me it was going to FTTP rather then FTTC a while ago now i'm over the moon and just looking for the next bank to rob (jk plod), to be honest at the prices i have seen so far i think i may have to stay with Relish.net and their superb unlimited (but we will cut you off when we think you have downloaded too much and no we have no Intention of telling what that limit is) service until the price drops a wee bit.

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Nov-17 18:08:41
Print Post

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/zen/packages/unl...

Native FTTP pricing, £43.50 per month.

Or pick your timing and get a cheaper setup via BT Infinity and with the reward cards if at the £150 point it knocks a fair bit off the price, yes BT consumer prices rise in 12 or 18 months at end of contract, but negotiate or switch to Zen

The Cerberus up to 76 at £39/m is a pretty good price
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/cerberus/package...

Your choice, but if people are happy with Relish speeds and QoS at their prices, then can see providers asking serious questions of campaigners who have badgering away for years when lots do not sign up.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Mon 13-Nov-17 19:05:02
Print Post

PlusNet FTTP (classed as a trial);

40/10 Mb/s Down/Up Unlimited - £14.99 / £17.49 pm with/without PN phone service.
80/20 Mb/s Down/Up Unlimited - £19.99 / £22.49 pm with/without PN phone service.

No installation fee.
No copper line required after service up and running.

Open to existing customers only so you'd need to get a DSL line with them to qualify.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps

Edited by Rastus (Mon 13-Nov-17 19:10:01)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Nov-17 19:32:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Your choice, but if people are happy with Relish speeds and QoS at their prices, then can see providers asking serious questions of campaigners who have badgering away for years when lots do not sign up.

Colour me depressed. Openreach delivering FTTP to people who don't want to pay for it, even though it's no more expensive than FTTC, while here over 80% of people would've bought it as over 80% paid for FTTC.

Thanks TalkTalk et al for ensuring people think Internet access should cost next to nothing and resent being asked to pay for a decent service.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Nov-17 19:41:48
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Well said +1

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to