General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alloneword
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 04:13:41
Print Post

So what sppeds can i expect from FTTP

[link to this post]

It's early and i have forgotton how to post images so here are the links to the images to give you some idea of what i have right now, it's an EO line but i have been told by someone that we will have FTTP by Dec this year.

https://s26.postimg.org/agyq81zy1/Image_01.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/kfjouj9dl/Image_02.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/7dy04okzd/Image_03.jpg

Now i have always thought i was a fair way from my exchange but have no idea what kind of speed to expect, does anyone have any idea?

All1
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 05-Oct-17 04:57:55
Print Post

Re: So what sppeds can i expect from FTTP

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Enter your details here: https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...

Does it say you are getting FTTP?

The speed you get will be the speed you order.
If you order the 80Mb/s package that's what you will get.
If you order the 300Mb/s package that's what you will get.
Distance from the exchange makes no difference with FTTP, if that is what you are getting.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 05-Oct-17 04:58:56)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Oct-17 08:10:18
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

And if the person was wrong and it will be FTTC rather than FTTP then we can't answer the question as we don't know where the cabinet would be built.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alloneword
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:12:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Enter your details here: https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...

Does it say you are getting FTTP?

The speed you get will be the speed you order.
If you order the 80Mb/s package that's what you will get.
If you order the 300Mb/s package that's what you will get.
Distance from the exchange makes no difference with FTTP, if that is what you are getting.

That site is saying the same as it has done for the last 20 years, we are exploring etc etc.
However i have been talking to people within OR and this is a copy of the last email i got from them

We have completed the local survey and believe we have identified a solution to provide you with Ultra-Fast broadband (FTTP).

The survey details are now with our Planning Team to plan the works.

Assuming we do not encounter any major issues during the build, I am estimating a Ready For Service date of the middle of December 2017.
this guy should know his stuff so i have no reason to doubt him.

Thanks for the info on speed etc

All1
Standard User alloneword
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:17:28
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
And if the person was wrong and it will be FTTC rather than FTTP then we can't answer the question as we don't know where the cabinet would be built.
It will be FTTP as i have no cabinets near me, here is a copy of the last email i got from them

We have completed the local survey and believe we have identified a solution to provide you with Ultra-Fast broadband (FTTP).

The survey details are now with our Planning Team to plan the works.

Assuming we do not encounter any major issues during the build, I am estimating a Ready For Service date of the middle of December 2017.

All1
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:23:19
Print Post

I believe they are planning FTTP.
I don't believe service will be live by December.
3 months from planning to completion seems extremely fast for an entire FTTP build.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 17:03:53
Print Post

3 months from planning to completion seems extremely fast for an entire FTTP build.

Well don't know what to say to that John, time will tell i guess but i fail to see why someone in "Chief Engineers Team" would go to the trouble of getting one of his "engineers to undertake a local survey" have that survey done and then come back with the info posted before only to be pulling my leg, but as i say time will tell.

I'll post back just before crimbo to see if i have FTTP or stuck with my current ISP (Relish & 4G)

All1
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 10-Nov-17 23:22:34
Print Post

Well just an update John, saw a few bods from openreach round here today and asked was this FTTC or FTTP work they were doing and told it was FTTP they asked where i lived and i explained and they said yes it would be live in next few weeks 100% before crimbo and we will be getting letters and flyers from ISP's telling us what service is open to me, so for me at least it looks like santa has come early, now just to find out what the damage is going to be.

All1
Standard User willfish
(newbie) Sat 11-Nov-17 15:31:29
Print Post

From Experience of a Openreach FTTP delivery.

Tuesday 12th September, Openreach staff tipped up , commenced opening the footway junction boxes and commenced installing draw cords from each house to said footway boxes. Houses in my road are all underground duct fed.
Subsequently they installed multiway manifolds for connectorised delivery in the footway boxes. Then connected them all up to an aggregation node some 500 metres away. Disapeared leaving it all connected up I believe.
Eventually came back did testing of "light" available in each of the manifold ports. Within 5 days of this testing the BT Wholesale/ BT ADSL Checker etal went WBC FTTP Upto 330Mbps / Upto 30Mbps

This availability date was Thursday 9th November.

This "service available" delivery took circa 8 weeks some 32 working days; and during this time included some duct cleaning too.

So if they started yesterday it will be rather tight for Christmas......don't forget post being available there's the 4 to 6 week delay in installing the bit of fibre that enters the house, installing the ONT & BBU etc.

If the Openreach team are under time constraints to deliver by Christmas then no doubt they will deliver a "service available".

Best of luck and in answer to your initial question is; first "how deep are your pockets?"

I suggest you need to trawl at least 5 suppliers to get an idea of what they can deliver, what their service level agreement is, what if any download limits they impose and finally how many beer coupons a month they will want from you smile.

You'll most likey end up doing some spreadsheet bashing to find how much extra this FTTP will cost.
You should some "fun" with that no doubt. (I did).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Nov-17 16:21:39
Print Post

[re: willfish] [link to this post]

Or they could just put their postcode into https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages which will filter based on the speed/technology at the postcode.

If the postcode is live and we are not recognising it as FTTP yet, then a prod will get us to update the lists.

A random postcode with native GEA-FTTP available is SN5 4FP if people just want to see what the options are

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gazzafaegreenock
(newbie) Sun 12-Nov-17 07:08:22
Print Post

If itís FTTP like us I wouldnít expect the speed youíre estimated to match what the checker says. I recently posted a thread about our ridiculous fluctuation in speed... from the dizzy 310mbps which weíre paying for to the sadly regular speed of 45mbps. How they can get away with advertising and charging for a 330mb package and only supplying 45mb is absolute robbery.

So in short. Whatever you see on the checker, donít get your hopes up.

Ps: if theyíre installing poles itís a 3 month wait for planning objections. They started our rural build in February and completion was 1/10/17

Edited by gazzafaegreenock (Sun 12-Nov-17 07:14:11)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Nov-17 08:27:38
Print Post

[re: gazzafaegreenock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gazzafaegreenock:
If itís FTTP like us I wouldnít expect the speed youíre estimated to match what the checker says. I recently posted a thread about our ridiculous fluctuation in speed... from the dizzy 310mbps which weíre paying for to the sadly regular speed of 45mbps. How they can get away with advertising and charging for a 330mb package and only supplying 45mb is absolute robbery.

Ps: if theyíre installing poles itís a 3 month wait for planning objections. They started our rural build in February and completion was 1/10/17

You never said anything about 45Mbits in your other post, you said 100/140Mbit, granted that's only a third to half of your speed, but its an up-to 300Mbit.

I just did a speed test on my connection (shown below) just now and its fine here.

My Broadband Speed Test

Granted my connection does drop a lot between 3pm to like 2am, basically its around 200Mbits, but my SamKnows WhiteBox says on the 2 Nov 2017, 21:00 it dropped down to 114Mbits, but that's fine.

Also if you read the DSL Checker you will see it is correct, read the part Up to example shown below of my results:

*** From BT DSL Checker ***
         Featured Products: WBC FTTP
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps): Up to 330
  Upstream Line Rate(Mbps): Up to 30
    Downstream Range(Mbps): --
WBC FTTP Availability Date: Available
      FTTP Install Process: 2 Stage

Just that certain times of the day you might see a decrease in your speed.

The worst mine has gone since I have had FTTP is shown below, but that was due to an issue in BT Network, I think most of London was down around that time.

My Broadband Speed Test

I just phoned BT and reported it and over the next 4 hours it started to come back.

The way I see it, all of us with FTTP are lucky to even get FTTP, think of the people that cannot even get fibre and are stuck on a couple of megabits if even that.

I was like you and fussed over the dropping of speed, its not worth worrying about, keep worrying about it will make you ill.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User gazzafaegreenock
(newbie) Sun 12-Nov-17 13:44:39
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

You never said anything about 45Mbits in your other post, you said 100/140Mbit, granted that's only a third to half of your speed, but its an up-to 300Mbit.

Because the last few days thatís what itís been, e.g. after I made the post.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Nov-17 15:32:41
Print Post

[re: gazzafaegreenock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Because the last few days thatís what itís been, e.g. after I made the post.

Ah, ok, maybe due to the weekend.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Sun 12-Nov-17 15:33:44)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Nov-17 16:26:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Or they could just put their postcode into https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages which will filter based on the speed/technology at the postcode.

If the postcode is live and we are not recognising it as FTTP yet, then a prod will get us to update the lists.

A random postcode with native GEA-FTTP available is SN5 4FP if people just want to see what the options are

When I do that I get options for Uno in my area but Uno say no when I put my Plusnet phone number into their checker.

"We're currently not able to offer you this service"

Not sure why a BTW based FTTC is a no no for them.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 13-Nov-17 17:53:57
Print Post

[re: willfish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by willfish:
Best of luck and in answer to your initial question is; first "how deep are your pockets?"

I suggest you need to trawl at least 5 suppliers to get an idea of what they can deliver, what their service level agreement is, what if any download limits they impose and finally how many beer coupons a month they will want from you smile.

You'll most likey end up doing some spreadsheet bashing to find how much extra this FTTP will cost.
You should some "fun" with that no doubt. (I did).

Yes this has come as a shock to me as well, i was over the moon when the guy told me it was going to FTTP rather then FTTC a while ago now i'm over the moon and just looking for the next bank to rob (jk plod), to be honest at the prices i have seen so far i think i may have to stay with Relish.net and their superb unlimited (but we will cut you off when we think you have downloaded too much and no we have no Intention of telling what that limit is) service until the price drops a wee bit.

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Nov-17 18:08:41
Print Post

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/zen/packages/unl...

Native FTTP pricing, £43.50 per month.

Or pick your timing and get a cheaper setup via BT Infinity and with the reward cards if at the £150 point it knocks a fair bit off the price, yes BT consumer prices rise in 12 or 18 months at end of contract, but negotiate or switch to Zen

The Cerberus up to 76 at £39/m is a pretty good price
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/cerberus/package...

Your choice, but if people are happy with Relish speeds and QoS at their prices, then can see providers asking serious questions of campaigners who have badgering away for years when lots do not sign up.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Mon 13-Nov-17 19:05:02
Print Post

PlusNet FTTP (classed as a trial);

40/10 Mb/s Down/Up Unlimited - £14.99 / £17.49 pm with/without PN phone service.
80/20 Mb/s Down/Up Unlimited - £19.99 / £22.49 pm with/without PN phone service.

No installation fee.
No copper line required after service up and running.

Open to existing customers only so you'd need to get a DSL line with them to qualify.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps

Edited by Rastus (Mon 13-Nov-17 19:10:01)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Nov-17 19:32:40
Print Post

Your choice, but if people are happy with Relish speeds and QoS at their prices, then can see providers asking serious questions of campaigners who have badgering away for years when lots do not sign up.

Colour me depressed. Openreach delivering FTTP to people who don't want to pay for it, even though it's no more expensive than FTTC, while here over 80% of people would've bought it as over 80% paid for FTTC.

Thanks TalkTalk et al for ensuring people think Internet access should cost next to nothing and resent being asked to pay for a decent service.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Nov-17 19:41:48
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Well said +1

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Nov-17 21:20:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Sadly it's the gimme gimme society so many are living in today with no realisation of some of the costs involved. Costs I'm only too well aware of having organised nearly £19K of funding for our gap funded AIO cabinet here in Camberwell/Oval.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 13-Nov-17 23:01:34
Print Post

I'm far from happy with Relish one is evening speed but given i'm not in their coverage zone officially i can't moan aout that too much, I'm in Southwark and cell mast is over the other side of the Thames in the isle of dogs, but biggest gripe i have is then failing to tell users what too much useage is, leaves me wondering if i'm coming or going, I know of no other person near me on Relish it's only because i have own router and an ext antenna.

All1
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 13-Nov-17 23:06:37
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rastus:

40/10 Mb/s Down/Up Unlimited - £14.99 / £17.49 pm with/without PN phone service.
80/20 Mb/s Down/Up Unlimited - £19.99 / £22.49 pm with/without PN phone service.

No installation fee.

Open to existing customers only so you'd need to get a DSL line with them to qualify.
I used to be with PlusNet and as a rule i was happy with them (apart from speed but i understand that is nothing to do with them) i hear CS support has got worse over the years but i was lucky in not having to deal with them.

So i may bite the bullet and sign for plusnet on a monthly contract to see what they can offer.

All1
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 13-Nov-17 23:18:41
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
Sadly it's the gimme gimme society so many are living in today with no realisation of some of the costs involved. Costs I'm only too well aware of having organised nearly £19K of funding for our gap funded AIO cabinet here in Camberwell/Oval.

Know camberwell very well, where the hell you found £19k round that neck of the woods i'll never know.
When you bear in mind i have been told for what feels like a decade now that this neck of the woods would be the last to get any kind of speed over 2 meg i have never given the price of FTTC/FTTP any thought what so ever, so it's not a cse of not wanting to pay it's more of a case of surprised how pricey it is compared to what i hav paid in the past which is lets be honest, a heap of junk.

I fail to see how i should know or even care what is costs to build something be it a car, a phone, a house or even a fibre network, I want value for money but at the same time I don't expect to pay mini money and get a Bentley service, just a fair deal....... Ooops sorry i forgot i live in the England i know i'm gonna get screwed i just hope they have the decency to use some lube.

All1
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Tue 14-Nov-17 09:35:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by alloneword:
In reply to a post by Rastus:

No installation fee.

I used to be with PlusNet and as a rule i was happy with them (apart from speed but i understand that is nothing to do with them) i hear CS support has got worse over the years but i was lucky in not having to deal with them.

So i may bite the bullet and sign for plusnet on a monthly contract to see what they can offer.

All1

If you do decide on PN you won't get much luck if you ask customer service about FTTP (or the trial) as very few of them are aware of it. Instead you need to go to trials.plus.net (I think you need to be signed in to proceed).

As very few PN staff are trained in FTTP it's a good idea to make contact with them on the PlusNet FTTP forum.

AFAIK nobody who has native FTTP available to them has been turned down so you're almost guaranteed to get connected.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User alloneword
(member) Tue 14-Nov-17 10:21:42
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info and links Rastus, hopefully they will come in handy.

All1
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to