General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Carbon
(regular) Thu 05-Oct-17 12:12:34
Print Post

Issues with connection

[link to this post]

Hi, last month i upgraded from ADSL to FTTC, and my connection has been dropping daily until it seems to be settled at the following:

Data Rate
45858 kbps

MAX Rate
86460 kbps

SNR Margin
7.3 dB
6.0 dB

Line Attenuation
13.9 dB
0.1 dB

Path Mode
Interleaved

Interleave Depth

The checker says i should be able to get 80meg and i'm about 600m from the cabinet, following the road, so i was wondering if anyone knows if i could have an issue with my line, and if so, what to do about it? My connection used to drop a fair bit on ADSL too, but i never lost speed due to it.

Thanks for any advice.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Thu 05-Oct-17 13:06:08
Print Post

Re: Issues with connection

[re: Carbon] [link to this post]

Is the router connected to the master socket? If so, remove the front plate (if it has one) and connect directly to the test socket via a microfilter (this is located behind the front plate). See if the issue stops, if it does, then it's a problem with your wiring. If it still continues, contact your ISP.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Thu 05-Oct-17 13:07:15)

Standard User Carbon
(regular) Thu 05-Oct-17 14:11:15
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks William. I did connect it to the master socket behind the plate, and also did a quiet line test from the phone, and noticed a slight hiss in the background, so i phoned the ISP and he ran a test.
Apparently there is a fault.. something to do with copper joints.. not sure what that means, but he's raised an issue with engineer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Thu 05-Oct-17 14:17:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Carbon:
I did connect it to the master socket behind the plate, and also did a quiet line test from the phone, and noticed a slight hiss in the background, so i phoned the ISP and he ran a test.
Apparently there is a fault.. something to do with copper joints..
One joint is displaying either HR (high resistance) or semi-conductive tendencies.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Carbon
(regular) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:08:09
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Ah right. There's a very old GPO junction box in the house where the line comes in, could it be that, and if so, would the engineer be able to tell / come in and fix it ?
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:59:07
Print Post

A HR (or semi-conductive) joint can form where two dissimilar metals are joined in the presence of moisture. It would, most likely, be found somewhere in the outside plant . . . either in a jointing chamber or an aerial joint.

Just because there is an "old" junction box within your premises does not necessarily make it the prime suspect. A competent technician would be able to trace the fault, given enough time. If s/he needs to enter your premises, I'm sure that the junction box will be inspected.

Standard User Carbon
(regular) Thu 05-Oct-17 17:02:21
Print Post

Appreciate the responses - very informative.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Fri 06-Oct-17 15:08:06
Print Post

You are welcome.

Standard User Carbon
(regular) Sun 08-Oct-17 16:30:06
Print Post

Hi, my line was sorted apparently, got the DLM reset and all was good for a couple of days, but today i've noticed Interleaving has been turned on and dropped sync speed again. I didn't have any disconnects either.
I'd like to replace the box joining the drop wire to the internal phone line wire - What would you recommend i swap it with?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-Oct-17 16:34:56
Print Post

Can you post a picture of the box please?

You'll have to upload an image to a photo sharing website, e.g. https://imgur.com and post a link to it here
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to