General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Thu 05-Oct-17 13:55:25
Print Post

RJ45 vs telephone cable

[link to this post]

Hi
I'm shortly due to be upgraded to FTTC & and thinking about optimizing my connection.
The location of my Master socket is situated such that I have to run a telephone cable from there to my office.
Would it be better if I placed my router/modem next to the Master socket and then run cat5 RJ45 cable from there to my office?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 05-Oct-17 13:57:31
Print Post

Re: RJ45 vs telephone cable

[re: DavidA23] [link to this post]

Yes, that would be a good option
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 05-Oct-17 14:27:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Yes, that would be a good option

But not the best solution as you will almost inevitably need to use the remaining ports on the router and perhaps even its USB port(s). Yes, you could add a switch at the remote end at more unnecessary expense. It would be infinitely much better to have the master socket relocated which is a simple DIY job but you are more or less obliged to use Openreach for that task for silly money.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(learned) Thu 05-Oct-17 14:42:20
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
But not the best solution as you will almost inevitably need to use the remaining ports on the router and perhaps even its USB port(s). Yes, you could add a switch at the remote end at more unnecessary expense. It would be infinitely much better to have the master socket relocated which is a simple DIY job but you are more or less obliged to use Openreach for that task for silly money.

It is always (unless the cabinet is outside your house) better to covert to ethernet as soon as practically possible inside the house.
Standard User deniscampbell
(newbie) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:08:44
Print Post

You can buy low loss shielded, twisted-pair cable with RJ11 ends. Effectively the same as an RJ45 cable.
The cable from cabinet to house is probably just bog standard telephone cable, but is not be as subject to mains borne interference as the master socket to router, so better quality cable may help.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:14:42
Print Post

[re: deniscampbell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by deniscampbell:
You can buy low loss shielded, twisted-pair cable with RJ11 ends. Effectively the same as an RJ45 cable.
It's twisted pair but here the similarity ends. Ethernet is a digital connection virtually immune to noise, whereas a phone connection is analog easily disrupted by noise.
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:21:19
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

So it's pros & cons really. Would the improvement in running RJ45 from the MB be worth the bother?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:24:47
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Given Ethernet switches are now down in the £10 to £15 region e.g. Netgear 5 port at £12 then going for modem and router at point of entry and Ethernet running to a remote switch is only the price of 3 pints.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 05-Oct-17 17:11:56
Print Post

I recommend placing a modem right next to the master socket, keeping the DSL link as short as possible. Then run cat5e to the router in your office.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Oct-17 17:13:32
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

+1

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79050/19661

BQM