General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dohmniq
(newbie) Mon 09-Oct-17 14:49:24
Print Post

FTTC - "yes" by full address, "no" by phone number

[link to this post]

(Asking for a friend)

According to BT's DSL checker, looking up by full address (not simply postcode), EADIC cabinet 10 is now live for VDSL. However, when looking up by phone number (I tried a few) the checker says cabinet 10 is not live. How can this be?

Strangely, when my friend tries to order Infinity from BT's website using postcode and landline number, initially it estimates ~70Mbps but right at the end of the order process it goes on claim only ADSL is available.

Even more oddly, one of their neighbours HAS managed to order Infinity and has a go-live date within the next 2 weeks. The only difference with them is that have/had a TalkTalk LLU connection whereas my friend has a BT line.

Is this a BT/OR database issue - if so how does it get resolved? Cabinet 10 has only been reporting as live via checker for about 7 days and it only covers a small area so I doubt it's "full" already.

Any ideas/suggestions? Any secret BT/OR lurkers able to take quick look?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Oct-17 11:07:33
Print Post

Re: FTTC - "yes" by full address, "no" by phone number

[re: dohmniq] [link to this post]

I think cabinet 10 (which is a small footprint and is an infill cabinet for a previously existing cabinet 4) is live but not live...think its to the south of Oakley on Upper Oakley road.

Its in that odd middle ground so its give things another couple of weeks before really pestering about possible checker errors.

Oakley got a previous infill cabinet number 8

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dohmniq
(newbie) Tue 17-Oct-17 14:48:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

[Was previously talking about EADIC cabinet 10]

More strange results from BT's checker following an email I received:

Now EADIC cabinet 8 has changed and no longer showing as being fibre enabled, even if I look up address. It really is fibre enabled because I know of at least 3 people who have gone live with FTTC off that cabinet!

What could be going on here? Is it a temporary halt on orders for some reason? Not enough capacity at the exchange? (I thought that was reported differently on the DSL checker)

Maybe this is related to the cabinet 10 weirdness?

I understand OpenReach won't talk to me so any way of finding out more info or getting the database checked/fixed? Or sit tight for the foreseeable future until something magically resolves the situation?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 15:22:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by dohmniq:
What could be going on here? Is it a temporary halt on orders for some reason? Not enough capacity at the exchange? (I thought that was reported differently on the DSL checker)

I "think" your exchange is too small (i.e. ~1600 lines) to have the fibre delivered from there, plus its in the middle of nowhere, so I "think" fibre will be routed from another much larger exchange.

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong here.

In reply to a post by dohmniq:
I understand OpenReach won't talk to me so any way of finding out more info or getting the database checked/fixed? Or sit tight for the foreseeable future until something magically resolves the situation?

They do, but its limited information.
I have always used in the past enquire@openreach.co.uk and have always received a response within 7 to 10 working days.

I have also noticed some emails using fibre.enquiries@openreach.co.uk when they replied to my emails.

So I would send the email to both email addresses when asking for information about fibre in your area.

You could however fill in one of their forms: when superfast broadband will be available in your area, or delays to getting superfast broadband.

Like with the emails, you will have to wait up to 7 to 10 working days for a response.

Hope this helps.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User dohmniq
(newbie) Mon 23-Oct-17 09:41:37
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Decided to check OpenReach's where-and-when page for an update on both EADIC cabinets 8 and 10 today.

Using a phone number connected to cabinet 8, OR's W&W page says:

"Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre, but you may not be able to order a service because our engineers are carrying out some maintenance on the cabinet that connects your home."

Out of curiosity, what kind of "maintenance" might be going on with a brand new cabinet, just gone live, with maybe 4 or 5 active FTTC connections?

Trying two different cabinet 10 phone numbers I get:

"Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.
This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options."

Both numbers are around 100m from cabinet 10. I guess there's some other issue than line length unless OR's database thinks the lines still go back to old cabinet 4.
Also slightly weird is that the right-hand pane of the results says: "Technology: -" I think the "minus" sign is pretty apt for the situation right now smile

I do wonder how many people get confused by results that don't quite make sense and how many BT/OR hours are spent dealing with the subsequent enquiries.
As a final note, have you seen just how many 3rd party scripts and cookies OR's W&W page needs just so you can perform a query?
Standard User mysticeddy
(regular) Mon 23-Oct-17 12:39:29
Print Post

My cabinet (CMHED - 27) is now showing as live and giving the same 'line might be too long' message as you got when checking the phone numbers. It even gives the same message for a property practically on top of the cab. Hopefully it'll be live soon, struggling to manage with poxy ADSL.
Standard User dohmniq
(newbie) Thu 26-Oct-17 08:38:28
Print Post

[re: mysticeddy] [link to this post]

EADIC cabinet 10 now shows FTTC available for the phone numbers I know.

So maybe it'll be as soon as a few days for you too, mysticeddy. It really sucks when you have little to no internet.

Surprisingly BT's DSL checker seemed to update during the day when I was under the impression it only updated overnight.

The "CodeLook" webpages have EADIC cabinet 10 listed as live since 30th September. Maybe it was... briefly! And only passing 25 properties? Could take a while to recoup the cost of that cabinet.
Standard User mysticeddy
(regular) Mon 06-Nov-17 12:33:34
Print Post

Annoyingly I've had Openreach confirm the cabinet is indeed live but there's a database issue which means anyone on my cab can't order it due to lines not being categorised or something!

Oh well, maybe it'll be on for Christmas
Standard User dohmniq
(newbie) Fri 10-Nov-17 12:38:37
Print Post

[re: mysticeddy] [link to this post]

I was talking to someone else in Oakley who is physically located between cabinets 8 and 10 but according to BT's DSL checker their line is still on old cabinet 4. (Lines on cabinets 8 and 10 were previously on cabinet 4).

How can this be?

Surely their line should join up with the others heading back towards cabinet 4 and the exchange? If they're not close enough to be on cabinet 10 then cabinet 8 is definitely on route when following the lines back to cabinet 4.

Much weirdness going on with the network in Oakley!

Also, cabinet 8 has been "un-live" for nearly a month now, even though there are several people with active FTTC. DSL checker doesn't say anything about a waiting list, just simply omits any reference to VDSL. What's going on here?

I think a lot of public frustration could be avoided if there was only more available information. I'm not talking about "when can we get fibre?" as that's a more commercially-sensitive question, but information like "Your cabinet is undergoing maintenance for X, due to completed by Y" or more detail during the build/connect/activation phases like "Cabinet X connection blocked requiring duct clearance, scheduled for Y"

We can't talk to OpenReach and other sources of info, like CodeLook, are sometimes woefully inaccurate or out-of-date. It's not so much "Shut up and take my money!" more "Speak up so I can give you my money!"
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Nov-17 12:42:51
Print Post

Your prospective or existing provider are meant to do this chasing for you...or put another way if I can forward those queries that do fall between the cracks and get an answer why aren't those you pay directly for services not doing the same.

On the one property, over the years have found oddities for some premises, e.g. was an old GP or police house so was a direct line at one time, or was the first phone line in an area and thus not part of the major bundles rolled out later. It is easy to forget that the phone network was not built in a coherent mass, but grew over many many decades and that mess makes it harder to do upgrade work while also ensuring things like service commitments on phone lines remain to target.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to