General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dohmniq
(newbie) Mon 09-Oct-17 14:49:24
Print Post

FTTC - "yes" by full address, "no" by phone number

[link to this post]

(Asking for a friend)

According to BT's DSL checker, looking up by full address (not simply postcode), EADIC cabinet 10 is now live for VDSL. However, when looking up by phone number (I tried a few) the checker says cabinet 10 is not live. How can this be?

Strangely, when my friend tries to order Infinity from BT's website using postcode and landline number, initially it estimates ~70Mbps but right at the end of the order process it goes on claim only ADSL is available.

Even more oddly, one of their neighbours HAS managed to order Infinity and has a go-live date within the next 2 weeks. The only difference with them is that have/had a TalkTalk LLU connection whereas my friend has a BT line.

Is this a BT/OR database issue - if so how does it get resolved? Cabinet 10 has only been reporting as live via checker for about 7 days and it only covers a small area so I doubt it's "full" already.

Any ideas/suggestions? Any secret BT/OR lurkers able to take quick look?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Oct-17 11:07:33
Print Post

Re: FTTC - "yes" by full address, "no" by phone number

[re: dohmniq] [link to this post]

I think cabinet 10 (which is a small footprint and is an infill cabinet for a previously existing cabinet 4) is live but not live...think its to the south of Oakley on Upper Oakley road.

Its in that odd middle ground so its give things another couple of weeks before really pestering about possible checker errors.

Oakley got a previous infill cabinet number 8

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dohmniq
(newbie) Tue 17-Oct-17 14:48:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

[Was previously talking about EADIC cabinet 10]

More strange results from BT's checker following an email I received:

Now EADIC cabinet 8 has changed and no longer showing as being fibre enabled, even if I look up address. It really is fibre enabled because I know of at least 3 people who have gone live with FTTC off that cabinet!

What could be going on here? Is it a temporary halt on orders for some reason? Not enough capacity at the exchange? (I thought that was reported differently on the DSL checker)

Maybe this is related to the cabinet 10 weirdness?

I understand OpenReach won't talk to me so any way of finding out more info or getting the database checked/fixed? Or sit tight for the foreseeable future until something magically resolves the situation?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 15:22:52
Print Post

[re: dohmniq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dohmniq:
What could be going on here? Is it a temporary halt on orders for some reason? Not enough capacity at the exchange? (I thought that was reported differently on the DSL checker)

I "think" your exchange is too small (i.e. ~1600 lines) to have the fibre delivered from there, plus its in the middle of nowhere, so I "think" fibre will be routed from another much larger exchange.

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong here.

In reply to a post by dohmniq:
I understand OpenReach won't talk to me so any way of finding out more info or getting the database checked/fixed? Or sit tight for the foreseeable future until something magically resolves the situation?

They do, but its limited information.
I have always used in the past enquire@openreach.co.uk and have always received a response within 7 to 10 working days.

I have also noticed some emails using fibre.enquiries@openreach.co.uk when they replied to my emails.

So I would send the email to both email addresses when asking for information about fibre in your area.

You could however fill in one of their forms: when superfast broadband will be available in your area, or delays to getting superfast broadband.

Like with the emails, you will have to wait up to 7 to 10 working days for a response.

Hope this helps.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
  Print Thread

Jump to