General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Fri 13-Oct-17 13:51:50
Print Post

High Resistance Joint Fault Developing?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I hope you're all well.

I have a feeling that a HRJ fault is developing. This is because I've noticed that my line is starting to become more and more errored and the SNRM is starting to dip crazily at times, especially in the evening. Fortunately, this isn't causing the line to drop out, however I'm slightly concerned, seen as I'm experiencing frequent losses of throughput.

I have attached a screenshot of a recent SNRM plot:

https://i.gyazo.com/9bb65f333d3be0f8d6f81d772edf92af...

I don't want to come over like I'm obsessed again, because honestly I'm not, it's just that this has raised my attention. Should I think about booking an engineer soon?

Thanks!

William

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 13-Oct-17 13:57:15)

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 13-Oct-17 16:42:10
Print Post

Re: High Resistance Joint Fault Developing?

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Looks fine to me. Any drop in throughput you are seeing is down to ISP congestion. There's nothing on the DSL side that could be causing that. Errors are extremely low, snrm variance is nothing out of the ordinary.
Should I think about booking an engineer soon?
Absolutely not. If you weren't watching the stats you wouldn't notice a thing.

If you start seeing changes in attenuation or snrm falling and not recovering then an HR fault might be developing. The snrm is meant to go up and down, that's why there's a margin.
(experienced) Fri 13-Oct-17 16:46:11
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I don't think it is due to ISP congestion, I'm reading the drop in throughput of the G.INP Min-EFTR graph, which is frequently dipping below the sync rate. Well, I am noticing it, dropped packets, occasional lag etc. Yeah, the SNRM is falling and not recovering for long periods. I don't see how the SNRM variance is nothing out of the ordinary, especially when it's causing sometimes huge amounts of errors in a short space of time and nearly dropping to 0 dB, that to me does not seem good at all. 0 db = loss of service. Also, the attenuation does change by about 0.5 dB sometimes.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 13-Oct-17 16:52:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 13-Oct-17 16:53:43
Print Post

Packet loss from 4 ES?
That's not cause by the DSL circuit.
Why do you ask for advice when you get very defensive when told everything is fine.
It appears to me you're looking for a fault.

The line looks fine to me.
I don't think it is due to ISP congestion, I'm reading the drop in throughput of the G.INP Min-EFTR graph, which is frequently dipping below the sync rate
That's the 1st graph I looked at. Perfectly normal. No idea how you can tell the difference between a couple Mb drop on the MinEFTR graph and ISP congestion. Especially as that occurred for a few mins around 9pm (peak time).

From your stats, there is nothing there that would cause noticeable packet loss or throughput issues. Likely ISP congestion.

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 13-Oct-17 18:25:54)

(experienced) Fri 13-Oct-17 18:39:11
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Sorry, I'm trying not to be defensive. I'm not sure how that could've be taken defensively, but fair enough...

Yeah, I agree, only 4 DS ES, but one was severe, due to 10's of CRC's in that second. I admit that my line looks "fine", but I tell you, there are many lines that are "better" quality.

The other reason as to why I'm concerned, is because most of the information I've looked at online regarding faults has been linked to very erratic SNRM, which seems to be quite evident on my line, especially recently.

I've just noticed, a good example is very recently, the DS SNRM dropped from 4.3 dB to 2.5 dB within a minute, that to me rings alarm bells.

Another thing to add, when the phone is ringing/in use, the DS SNRM drops and the retransmissions increase dramatically, so surely something must be wrong if that's occurring.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 13-Oct-17 18:54:28)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Oct-17 23:37:46
Print Post

That SNRM plot looks fine could be a bit smoother if it was a ZyXEL modem but generally fine William.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79188/19661

BQM
(experienced) Sat 14-Oct-17 21:32:55
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Well, it's not fine, because I've just lost connection for a few minutes, due to a huge noise spike... Tim, sorry but I think that's wrong. ZyXEL routers do not purposely make the SNRM smoother... I think everyone must be looking at the wrong line, my MDWS ID is Grimmybob.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sat 14-Oct-17 21:37:32)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Oct-17 22:00:18
Print Post

I can only speak as I find William. My TP-Link modem has very spikey SNRM on MWDS but when I swapped over to the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A the SNRM hardly varies at all and keeps a relatively stable SNRM. But every line is different I guess.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
(experienced) Sat 14-Oct-17 22:01:19
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Well, I've just bought this router and it's up there with the best, I'm pretty sure it's an external fault of some kind, like most have been over the years...

William Grimsley.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Oct-17 22:09:54
Print Post

That maybe so but over on Kitz, lots of testing has shown ZyXEL devices to be highly regarded with an in-built filter and the best chipset Broadcom make so far.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to