General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sat 14-Oct-17 22:14:19
Print Post

Re: High Resistance Joint Fault Developing?

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Sure, but I find the ZyXEL firmwares incredibly buggy, and when I tried to report the issues to their support, they wouldn't help, because they said that I needed to test on several devices which I didn't have...

William Grimsley.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Oct-17 22:18:46
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Most firmware has bugs or needs improvement even Billion. I found ZyXEL support very helpful with a firmware bug and indeed saying they would test it in their lab. I haven't had any problems with the VMG-1312-B10A it just works. What bug did you come across?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79188/19661

BQM
(experienced) Sat 14-Oct-17 22:24:53
Print Post

Yes, the ZyXEL's work, but it's the way their web pages are scripted and they don't properly format on iOS devices. I also found they use a telnet like implementation for their stats page which I found was full of broken text, etc. But, it wasn't just that, I just prefer Billion as a make, and that's why I'm sticking with them. It has to be something outside of the router, because it works fine most of the time.

William Grimsley.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Oct-17 22:29:18
Print Post

I have no problem with telnet on my ZyXEL and am using DSLStats, telnet output on my model and other models has been perfect. My Asus router doesn't display correctly on my Windows Phone but is perfectly fine on PC, not everything is perfect. Having said that the ZyXEL works fine on my Windows phone.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
(experienced) Sat 14-Oct-17 23:01:16
Print Post

True, but like I said, it wasn't that, that made me choose Billion over it. smile

William Grimsley.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Oct-17 00:43:32
Print Post

What was it then that made you choose the Billion? I have a Billion 7800 for ADSL2+ it is horses for courses. The 7800 was very reliable and I chose it because it had a tweak page so I could adjust the SNR Target as on a TTB line the target was 6db when my line could quite easily handle 3db. I have a Billion 8800NL R2 which syncs at 64mbit @ 6db nice router but the ZyXEL outperforms it by another 7mbit sync higher. The Billion SNRM on MWDS was exactly the same as your Billion, pretty variable, that is just the Billion for you.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Oct-17 09:55:38
Print Post

Perhaps its time for the poster to report a fault and use more resources to chase down the odd noise spike, or as most people do accept that DSL was designed to resync automatically after noise spikes which are the norm for the RF environment and get on with life.

DSL is cheap and nasty, if resyncs and noise variations cause lose of sleep then time to spend on a full fibre service and only then worry about changes in light level.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Oct-17 10:48:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hear, hear.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sun 15-Oct-17 18:02:30
Print Post

Tim, sorry but I think that's wrong. ZyXEL routers do not purposely make the SNRM smoother...

I couldn't disagree more.

The ZyXEL VMG8x24-B10A and the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A both have additional noise filters fitted that I haven't seen on any other device (definitely not on the Billion).
I've seen switching to 1 of these Zyxel devices change an snrm plot dramatically from incredibly spikey to practically a straight line.
They both contain what is regarded as 1 of Broadcoms best performing VDSL2 chipsets, the BCM63168.

You have the (in my opinion) better of the 2 variants, the Billion 8800NL R1 with the favoured BCM63168 chipset. The Billion 8800NL R2 has the cheaper/budget Broadcom chipset the BCM63381.
It's doing its job absolutely fine.

In my opinion all of the above is absolutely irrelevant, and your broadband works fine, so leave it alone.
VDSL is not a perfect system. It's extremely susceptible to external noise, which is why they design it with a noise margin in mind.
It can be tweaked and hardware/cabling optimised to improve stability, but I don't know what you're expecting from tech that uses 2 simple lengths of copper wire.

Twice in the past 24 hours your line has resynced at a lower rate, and it looks like twice a resync has been initiated to get a higher sync again.
Perhaps leave it alone as you will likely find it much more stable running at a few Mb less with a higher snrm.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 15-Oct-17 18:04:50)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Mon 16-Oct-17 16:20:56
Print Post

Not this again! Weíve told you about this in the past. Itís a DSL based technology running over a copper pair. I donít know what you expect. Stop worrying about the odd drop and get on with your life.

Icaras
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to