General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Wed 18-Oct-17 15:32:35
Print Post

Outage In Night

[link to this post]

My wife was up quite early doing work on her laptop & woke me up to say the internet wasn't working. I crawled out of bed & did a quick check on my phone which showed it was off. I got up and looked at the modem which showed DSL was connected.

After some half asleep messing I booted my PC up and saw the www wasn't connecting, I was however able to check emails & downloaded 20 or so quickly. I rebooted the router but not the modem & had no change. After about 15 mins all was well again, I looked at the BQM & showed large packet loss during the night. Anyone else have this? Was this BT doing things at night or maybe spooks?

My Broadband Ping

Edited by Roksan (Wed 18-Oct-17 15:33:47)

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Wed 18-Oct-17 16:51:42
Print Post

Re: Outage In Night

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

Was this BT doing things at night

Possibly. Or more likely Openreach. They do a lot of Planned Engineering Works ar night.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Oct-17 20:35:47
Print Post

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

Yes, my connection bounced just before 4am and came straight back. However, it did not come back "properly" as when I was at work, I noticed my automated speed tests had taken a dive since that event. Further investigation revealed that the IPv6 part of the connection was partially broken (no addresses had been auto-configured and assigned on the /64 prefix upon re-connect) so just before mid-day, I forced a manual PPP session drop/reconnect and then everything reverted back to normal.

Looks entirely like Openreach planned engineering works to me. I'm also on IDNet, like yourself.

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 Cloudflare Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Edited by mixt (Wed 18-Oct-17 20:41:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Wed 18-Oct-17 20:43:58
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I was initially (irrationally) concerned as I fitted a new modem yesterday morning & wondered if it had totally lost the plot but as I had a stable connection after I realised it must have been some sort of work taking place, good it wasn’t just me, it’s made me feel better.
  Print Thread

Jump to