General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sparkymark75
(newbie) Fri 20-Oct-17 18:28:50
Print Post

How accurate is Openreach's When Can I Get Fibre?

[link to this post]

I knew my new build was in plans to get FTTP (despite the Openreach website saying there was no plans). Over the past few weeks there's been Openreach vans in my street.

Today I checked the Openreach website and it said I could order FTTP. So I placed an order via BT which they have processed. I'm booked for an install in a couple of weeks.

What's weird though is that none of my immediate neighbours appear to have it. If I check their door numbers, they still come up as only having ADSL.

If I use the BT DSL checker, I see this

https://i.imgur.com/9ACHvrb.png

If I do the same for a neighbour, they see the same minus the top row entry for FTTP. Is the Openreach database accurate? I do see a pull rope has been pulled through to the side of my house where the BT phone line comes in.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Oct-17 19:03:59
Print Post

Re: How accurate is Openreach's When Can I Get Fibre?

[re: sparkymark75] [link to this post]

It is possible that the others are not actually ready, i.e. new builds can go live in stages as each fibre DP is completed, rather than wait for a whole estate to be completed.

If people are in a property and expecting FTTP and checkers say no, first stage is to get the provider to do the leg work, as new builds have a number of issues for multiple utilities in terms of being recognised.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 20-Oct-17 20:16:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Maybe all my moaning since I moved in at the end of June has paid off! smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 20-Oct-17 20:40:27
Print Post

Mine has gone from "Exploring Solutions" to "Design", "Field Survey" & "Build" over the last 1.5 years, to then go back to "Exploring Solutions" a few months ago, when I'm 99.9% certain we will be getting FTTP at some point - I live on a dead end road and some of the postcodes come up as FTTP and some like mine show nothing, I cant imagine for one second that BT are going to by-pass my house to go further down the estate with FTTP.
(Ex-TPON on whole estate).
Been waiting 7 years for something faster than 4Mb - almost 2018 its a disgrace really.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Thu 26-Oct-17 14:23:04
Print Post

Depends on their database.

An error stopped me ordering fibre in March and has delayed our install.

When OR tried to correct the error, they succeeded in listing our property twice, one in scope for FTTP, the other not available. The property 10m away had theirs installed on Tuesday and an engineer is coming to install ours next week.

And the checker still says we can't get it.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by fiddler (Thu 26-Oct-17 14:23:46)

(newbie) Thu 26-Oct-17 15:04:55
Print Post

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fiddler:
Depends on their database.

An error stopped me ordering fibre in March and has delayed our install.

When OR tried to correct the error, they succeeded in listing our property twice, one in scope for FTTP, the other not available. The property 10m away had theirs installed on Tuesday and an engineer is coming to install ours next week.

And the checker still says we can't get it.

Guess I'll find out a week tomorrow when my installation appointment is. What was the error you encountered? And why has it taken them from March until October to resolve it?
Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Thu 26-Oct-17 16:32:51
Print Post

Mine went straight to FTTP even though thereís some fairly significant build work to be done. BT were pretty quick to identify further survey work was required, in contact within a couple of days. So if you havenít heard anything hopefully thatís a good thing.
(newbie) Thu 26-Oct-17 16:41:49
Print Post

[re: bluemoon87] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bluemoon87:
Mine went straight to FTTP even though thereís some fairly significant build work to be done. BT were pretty quick to identify further survey work was required, in contact within a couple of days. So if you havenít heard anything hopefully thatís a good thing.

Yeah, I ordered it last Friday. Everything on the BT website still appears to be on track. Appointment confirmed for the morning of the 3rd Nov. Not had any news to tell me different so assuming all okay so far.

Do they do the install all in one appointment these days? Pull the fibre from the DP in the chamber in the pavement outside my house through to my house then connect the ONT up inside?
Standard User fiddler
(member) Thu 26-Oct-17 16:51:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by sparkymark75:
Guess I'll find out a week tomorrow when my installation appointment is. What was the error you encountered? And why has it taken them from March until October to resolve it?

Error was that for some reason, of the five properties at the postcode, only three were listed as being able to have FTTP, our being one of the ones that couldn't, even though we were 10m across the farmyard from one that could and placed an order.

OR is absolutely useless - I tweeted and filled out an on-line ticked and the 4 week response turned to 6 weeks with no change in status. I e-mailed the CEO of BT who got his team involved long enough for me to explain and place an order in April.

There was about 4 months of fannying around with contractors surveying, re-surveying, re-re-surveying before digging up the shared drive in fits and starts. In the mean time, there were 3 visits by engineers to install the fibre even though the closest piece of cable was in ducting about 50m away.

AT some point, the database must have flipped as there are now two listings for us and neither can get fibre. This delayed our install while the neighbours went ahead as planned.

BT threw their hands up and said they have no control over OR and said we'll just get them to install it anyway.

As of Tuesday, when I was chatting to the guys working on the neighbour's property they said that there were no other orders that they could see on the system for the post-code.

BT have e-mailed be to say that an engineer is coming between 8 and 1 next Tuesday to install fibre.

Time will tell.

Regards,

Rob
(newbie) Thu 26-Oct-17 18:18:05
Print Post

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

Fingers crossed they turn up for both of us!

Mines is (hopefully) more straightforward as I'm on a new build estate and there has been loads of activity recently with OR vans and contractors.

Edited by sparkymark75 (Thu 26-Oct-17 18:21:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to