General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ear9mrn
(newbie) Sat 21-Oct-17 14:08:10
Print Post

FTTC Home extension

[link to this post]

Hi Forum,

Just looking for some advice to squeeze the most out of my FTTC broadband. I live about 200-300m from the Huawei cabinet and my phone line enters my property at roof level from a pole. Currently there is an extension from the BT drop cable in the loft to a point under my stairs (about 15m or so in floor space) via 6core twisted pair cable which i believe is CW1308. At this point I have a BT MK 4 master socket.

Currently these are my stats.
up/down
current sync Kbps 19,999/79,999
max sync Kbps 32,217/91,644
Attenuation DB 0.0/12.6
delay 0.0/3.0
INP 0.0/4.0
Power dbm 0.6/13.3
SNR db 15.0/9.2

And when I ping bbc.co.uk I generally get around 5-6 ms and when I do a speed test I get 74 Mbps down and 16 Mbps up. I do not experience any drops in connection. My only issue is that when I am working away from home and need to connected back to my linux box via ssh I loose connection at least for or five times during the day and have to reconnect, the IP has not changed and the modem and router have not rebooted or anything. In addition I do see a spikes (from modem stats) in CRC and ES on the upstream once or twice an hour and the the same on FEC on the downstream.

I am looking for some advice as follows. Are these drops in ssh connection something to do with the CRC/EC/FEC spikes ? and could my current setup be a source of them? My options as I see them from reading on this forum are as follows:

1) do nothing, most people would give their right arm for those stats and bandwidth!
2) Move the master socket and connect straight to the BT drop then use existing CW1308 as an extension to another socket (under the stairs) where it then split to data and phone.
3)move the master socket to the BT drop and use the existing CW1308 to run separate data and phone (i.e. split at master socket) to two sockets (BT and RJ11 or RJ45) under the stairs.
4) move master socket to BT drop and run a new (better ?) cable cat5e or cat6 for my data and use the existing CW1308 for the phone line,
5) move master socket to BT drop and run a new (better ?) cable cat5e or cat6 for both my data and phone

would appreciate any advice. Using the existing cable would be fairly straight forward but would like to know if it would likely make any difference. Running a new cable (cat5e or 6) would be done but would a big job, under floors and wall ducting etc! So I would want to be very sure it will have a positive impact.

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

many thanks,

Pete.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Oct-17 14:21:58
Print Post

Re: FTTC Home extension

[re: ear9mrn] [link to this post]

When you lose connection has the modem actually resynced?

SSH should cope with the odd blip in latency, i.e. tcp/ip is generally only affected when CRC/ES climb to high levels and at those levels the DLM would react and slow you down.

Given the margin between max and actual sync I don't think your issues are noise on VDSL induced.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 21-Oct-17 14:29:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by ear9mrn:
My only issue is that when I am working away from home and need to connected back to my linux box via ssh I loose connection at least for or five times during the day and have to reconnect, the IP has not changed and the modem and router have not rebooted or anything. In addition I do see a spikes (from modem stats) in CRC and ES on the upstream once or twice an hour and the the same on FEC on the downstream.

I am looking for some advice as follows. Are these drops in ssh connection something to do with the CRC/EC/FEC spikes ?
Do the times you lose connection coincide with the times of the spikes?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sat 21-Oct-17 16:53:34
Print Post

There's nothing you can do about that. The CRC's/ES need to be very high to cause a dropped connection like that. With you being on a Huawei cabinet with retransmission it becomes even less likely.

Think of the number of hops between the 2 connections. I'm my opinion this is very unlikely to be anything you could influence or improve.
Standard User mrc99
(learned) Sun 22-Oct-17 08:38:46
Print Post

My only issue is that when I am working away from home and need to connected back to my linux box via ssh I loose connection at least for or five times during the day and have to reconnect, the IP has not changed and the modem and router have not rebooted or anything.

It may not be relevant but have you looked into setting SSH's keepalive facility in case router NAT is disrupting your SSH session?

Explained why/how quite well here
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Sun 22-Oct-17 13:42:48
Print Post

I recommend setting up a
Broadband Quality Monitor
and try to route its pings though to the linux box.

my guess is that this will show it is staying connected all the time
Standard User ear9mrn
(newbie) Mon 23-Oct-17 08:53:04
Print Post

Re: FTTC Home extension *DELETED*

[re: mrc99] [link to this post]

Post deleted by ear9mrn
Standard User ear9mrn
(newbie) Mon 23-Oct-17 08:53:58
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
I recommend setting up a

Thanks for the reply and yes. I have set the keep alive with the client (putty) as well as the server side (ssh_config).
Standard User ear9mrn
(newbie) Mon 23-Oct-17 08:56:26
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
I recommend setting up a

Yep, doing this. Check it out here My vdsl stats, scroll to the bottom of the page. Here you can also see stats collected from my Huawei modem.
Standard User ear9mrn
(newbie) Mon 23-Oct-17 09:00:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
My only issue is that when I am working away from home and need to connected back to my linux box via ssh I loose connection at least for or five times during the day and have to reconnect, the IP has not changed and the modem and router have not rebooted or anything. In addition I do see a spikes (from modem stats) in CRC and ES on the upstream once or twice an hour and the the same on FEC on the downstream.

I am looking for some advice as follows. Are these drops in ssh connection something to do with the CRC/EC/FEC spikes ?
Do the times you lose connection coincide with the times of the spikes?

Good question. It is hard to say as I am not at my terminal the whole time, I go back to it on and off and sometimes I have lost connection and have to sign in again so I do not know the precise time it went down.

It got me thinking though, if I can some how log the dropped ssh sessions on the server side as well as the spikes in CRC/ES then cross-correlate them this may well shed some light on the issue as at this time I am not sure the two issues are related.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to