General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 24-Oct-17 14:28:35
Print Post

Opinions on Independent Fibre Networks Ltd (IFNL) FTTP

[link to this post]

I'm considering a new build home and the developers have partnered with IFNL to provide fibre to the premises. Some interesting points:

- The fibre infrastructure is used to provide access to Internet access, voice, and communal broadcast: Sky, FreeSAT, FreeView and DAB
- In the home is a device that takes the fibre and provides outputs for the various services
- Structured cabling into each room presenting dual coax, phone socket and RJ45
- IFNL provide wholesale access for providers to offer voice and data
- There are five residential providers (including IFNL themselves): https://www.ifnl.net/availableisps

It looks like a reasonable service offering, although I suspect that everything other than IP connectivity will ultimately become redundant for me.

Having searched around, I've not found any independent reviews. Has anyone here experienced their services?

-==-
DougM
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 24-Oct-17 14:32:57
Print Post

Re: Opinions on Independent Fibre Networks Ltd (IFNL) FTTP

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

I clicked submit just as I got my first reply from IFNL about their service:
We currently do not support IPv6, and at this moment in time we have no plans in place for this as the demand is so low.
Not the best start; IPv6 is not really about end-user demand, it's an investment in the infrastructure to ensure continued high quality of service. Done properly it should be invisible.

-==-
DougM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Oct-17 14:52:35
Print Post

We see people speed testing, but as the number of customers is low SeeTheLight (IFNL), Direct Save Telecom etc don't always make the monthly results summary

http://tbb.st/1507836175323554355
http://tbb.st/1506970902707001255
http://tbb.st/1506971040524476255

So people are getting decent speeds but they are not nailing the top speed necessarily but with a small sample size its possible some are and we are not seeing them or a quick pick and they did not jump out at me.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User banjo
(regular) Tue 24-Oct-17 16:12:49
Print Post

Sounds like a Bovis home. You can google IFNL and See the Light etc and there are quite a few people who are not happy with the 'lockin' to their services and being unable to access a BT line.
Standard User DougM
(member) Wed 25-Oct-17 09:22:22
Print Post

[re: banjo] [link to this post]

This development is Charles Church (part of Persimmon). It appears IFNL has been quite good at building partnerships with a bunch of house builders.

I saw the posts about choice, but I'm not too worried given this is a wholesale network through which any ISP could choose to provide a service. It would be nice to see a couple of more established players, although it would really suck for these niche ISPs to have someone like Sky come onboard and take a massive share of the relatively small market. I'd sign-up for AAISP in a heartbeat.

Personally I have no plans to take a voice service. I'll port my old BT number to AAISP VoIP and use my Fritz!Box to drive the DECT phones in the house.

-==-
DougM
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Thu 26-Oct-17 08:58:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by DougM:
This development is Charles Church (part of Persimmon). It appears IFNL has been quite good at building partnerships with a bunch of house builders.

They also appear to have a deal with Taylor-Wimpy
  Print Thread

Jump to