General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iknowgungfu
(newbie) Thu 26-Oct-17 21:09:57
Print Post

Fibre speeds between ISP providers

[link to this post]

Hi all,
Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. I am just wondering if I would experience any difference in speed from one Fibre ISP to another assuming all my equipment etc stays the same.

Basically, when choosing which ISP will they all provide the same speed (discounting any service levels/payment packages).

Back in the old days I used to worry about contention between one provider and another. Does Fibre negate all that now?

Thanks in advance!
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Oct-17 21:20:08
Print Post

Re: Fibre speeds between ISP providers

[re: iknowgungfu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iknowgungfu:
Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. I am just wondering if I would experience any difference in speed from one Fibre ISP to another assuming all my equipment etc stays the same.
In connection speed, no. But the cheaper ones can still suffer more from congestion at peak time than the more expensive ones. In practice most people won't notice much difference.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Thu 26-Oct-17 21:40:43
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

The older I get (58) the more I realise 'you get what you pay for' It seems to me that does apply with internet provision too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Oct-17 22:09:47
Print Post

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

4 years your junior, but completely agree. smile

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Oct-17 08:21:17
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

There can be small differences in connection speed as ISPs can choose the profile from a short list and that will make a little difference but largely they will be similar.
Standard User tthom
(committed) Tue 31-Oct-17 08:49:06
Print Post

[re: iknowgungfu] [link to this post]

Usually connection speed is roughly the same.. The big thing is do they have enough bandwidth for peak times, As I found out when I moved from BT to Talktalk connection was slightly faster but peak times was 3meg

Broadband Providers Aoll/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT infinity/Talktalk/BT Infinity 60/11 Sync
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
  Print Thread

Jump to