General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Penelopejean
(newbie) Mon 30-Oct-17 11:03:24
Print Post

Voltage of Virgin media Coax?

[link to this post]

Hello all,
I am a director for a block of flats that has Virgin Media Fibre broadband. There is the normal Virgin Cabinet on the boundary of the grounds and a smaller (Very untidy)box installed in the grounds. We have discovered a green cable runs underground to each block of 6 flats which I think carries a copper coax twin cable(not fibre) to each flat. A resident wants to build a patio but is worried about digging up the ducting and the voltage of the cable within the green ducting which is 150mm below ground. I am pretty sure that it is low voltage but is there anyone out there who knows what the actual voltage is please?
Many Thanks in advance
Penny
PS What is FTTB by the way as mentioned on the Fibre Broad band forum index?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Oct-17 11:18:45
Print Post

Re: Voltage of Virgin media Coax?

[re: Penelopejean] [link to this post]

Low voltage and low power, the danger is about severing the cable and disrupting services and then Virgin Media will charge the person who broke the cable the full costs of re-instating. There will be a copper pairs to carry the phone service too.

Therefore if about to dig they need to use a cable finder to confirm the location before doing anything

FTTB is Fibre to the Building i.e. fibre optic to a machine room/comms cupboard in the building and Ethernet cabling to distribute the service around the building

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 30-Oct-17 11:32:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron,
Apologies but a few more questions that you may be able to help me with.
Am I right in assuming it is copper coax from the small box/cabinet in the grounds rather than fibre? It is a twin black cable. Does fibre look any different?
Also if the cables need to be lengthened to travel under the patio do you know how much it is likely to cost to have it done for 6 flats Hundreds? Thousands? I can't get any sense from Virgin as I am not a customer personally.
Finally and thanks again, Where can I buy a cable finder from?
Penny

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Oct-17 11:52:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Penelopejean:
I am pretty sure that it is low voltage but is there anyone out there who knows what the actual voltage is please?

Either 90 or 60 volts, AC.
(newbie) Mon 30-Oct-17 12:29:18
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thank you. Ignitionnet.
Penny
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Oct-17 12:36:39
Print Post

Sounds like the coax cable, the fibre roll-out is very small from Virgin Media and would have gone into the ground in the last year.

If the cables need lengthening then its a bespoke custom cost, but don't understand why they'd need lengthening if already in place.

If it was fibre there would be a piece of plastic tape in the ground above the tubing warning you, i.e. idea is spades grab that first and stops people chopping it.

Cable finders - any DIY/builders merchant, though may want to high a better one than the usual £20 type ones like you see people using on foot paths when marking things for road works.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 30-Oct-17 19:23:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

I thought the phone pair may have 50V to 60V DC normally and around 80V AC when the line is rung? The coax will have a few millivolts of RF (I think the VM spec is -6dBmV to 10dBmV so around 0.5mV to 3mV)...

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Oct-17 19:59:30
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

I thought the phone pair may have 50V to 60V DC normally and around 80V AC when the line is rung? The coax will have a few millivolts of RF (I think the VM spec is -6dBmV to 10dBmV so around 0.5mV to 3mV)...

Not that fussed about the phone pairs.

The amplifiers on VM's network are line powered. Each property has an isolator that keeps that from getting into the home but unless there's something on the tap bank the run into the property may be carrying AC.
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 30-Oct-17 20:24:31
Print Post

Something new learnt smile Thanks!

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Oct-17 21:25:18
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
Something new learnt smile Thanks!

smile

There's a cabinet that draws power from the mains, one for each ~500 premises passed. It powers the MSAN that's used for telco services and injects power onto the coaxial network. Means they don't need to take a mains power feed for each and every cabinet that has an amplifier in it.
  Print Thread

Jump to