General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RMDS
(newbie) Mon 30-Oct-17 19:17:41
Print Post

CDS commercial area?

[link to this post]

Hi
A friend of mine lives in a postcode in Devon which CDS say is covered or is going to be covered commercially, so they have no plans for it. However its a very rural area with just standard Openreach copper lines available and no LLU at the exchange. It seems unlikely that anyone else would go there commercially, however after many many faults the last Openreach technician siad that they would be getting FTTP, but its not listed on the Openreach Where and When checker and there doesnt appear to be anyone else that knows if this is true or not....anyone here able to shed some light on this? Postcode is EX36 4JB.
Thanks
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 30-Oct-17 20:05:06
Print Post

Re: CDS commercial area?

[re: RMDS] [link to this post]

It may not be OpenReach who are going to provide the service. Under the rules CDS is not allowed to give public subsidies if any private sector money is used in that particular area.

If it's as rural as you say it may be 1 of the wireless providers who plan to deploy to your property.

It may end up being done by CDS though as private sector plans often change.

The information provided is based on the private sector responses to our September 2015 Open Market Review (OMR) - the OMR seeking to gain information on planed private sector Next Generation Access (NGA) provision up till 2019.
Standard User RMDS
(newbie) Mon 30-Oct-17 21:54:23
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I don't think it could be wireless as its in a deep valley...would BT/Openreach plans for FTTP included in that OMR if it was planned already before the OMR on a commercial basis? Any other way of finding out if the Openreach bod is correct? As they don't always have the correct info...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Oct-17 22:08:36
Print Post

Are you sure you are not misinterpreting what CDS are saying, since there are areas outside their phase I and phase II scope since no 100% roll-out has been created yet.

It is possible that the area might be getting some extra roll-out due to gain share from phase I but I'd urge adopting a 'not going to happen' position as no signs of anything happening

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RMDS
(newbie) Mon 30-Oct-17 23:41:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All I know that if you put the postcode and house into the CDS checker it comes back with "commercial area" which just seems so unlikely to me based on the geographical location unless it is FTTP or infill FTTC as part of their commercial rollout. The last Openreach engineer fixing the lastest fault said that FTTP was coming but there seems to be no way of confirming this with anyone or be able to find out any proper confirmation....

from CDS checker
Commercial Area*
MEETHE, EX36 4JB
CDS has been told by a number of telecoms companies that they have plans to invest across our intervention area.

According to our records your property is either currently, or planned to be, covered through one of these private sector investments by the end of 2019. As such, we are not able to invest public money in your area under European Commission State Aid rules.

* The information provided is based on the private sector responses to our September 2015 Open Market Review (OMR) - the OMR seeking to gain information on planed private sector Next Generation Access (NGA) provision up till 2019.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Oct-17 09:04:43
Print Post

FTTP is coming - when that is the case it usually gives some hint on the Openreach checker and engineers are well known for not knowing the detail of the roll-out or getting some information confused e.g. they are doing FoD for one customer elsewhere on exchange which will not help you

Most areas where Openreach are going with FTTP do show something in the checker ahead of time

So the ball is very much in the CDS court, I'd personally be checking postcodes around me to see if this looked to be a one off mistake or was a wider area so might get an idea of the roll-out area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RMDS
(newbie) Tue 31-Oct-17 15:47:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have put the phone number into the Openreach checker but it justsays "Exploring Solutions"
Fibre Journey...

We are exploring solutions

We're working with government and industry to explore ways to bring Superfast fibre to as many people as possible but don't have a plan for your area yet.

You might consider co-funding fibre access in your community. Knowing there's a healthy demand in your area can also really help.
Cabinet icon

Exchange name: Chittlehamholt
Exchange status: Fibre enabled
Cabinet number: 3
Technology: -

Some of the other properties in the same postcode are down as being "LOT 4 Airband" on the CDS website.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Tue 31-Oct-17 16:10:23
Print Post

https://home.airband.co.uk/project/west-devon/?postc...

Looks like you are getting Airband

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 31-Oct-17 16:12:25)

Standard User RMDS
(newbie) Wed 01-Nov-17 19:03:52
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I'm not so sure about that...they live in a steep valley that hasn't even got any mobile signal, plus I would have thought that would have been listed under the CDS checker but it isn't. Some of the other properties in the postcode area are but not theirs and a few others, which are down as already covered or due to be covered commercially...which is why I was trying to find out who that commercial company is, or if it's an error by CDS. And also if the Openreach guy is correct that FTTP is coming. Their adsl is so bad that they were even considering satellite,so I said I would try and find out what is happening, but it appears to be a very difficult task..
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Wed 01-Nov-17 19:17:36
Print Post

CDS say a commercial provider is covering that postcode. They won't tell you anything about an address unless they are providing funding, which in this case they aren't.
OpenReach say they have no plans for the postcode. That usually means exactly that. If it was meant to be getting OpenReach FTTP then it would say so.

Airband specifically say they are covering that postcode. Given all of the above it sounds to be like your friend is getting Airband.

The fact it's a steep valley means nothing with this tech. If there's somewhere in the middle with line of sight to most of the properties (like a church spire) then it's perfectly viable.
  Print Thread

Jump to