General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AberDino
(newbie) Fri 03-Nov-17 15:13:11
Print Post

Openreach Fibre Checker Potentially Incorrect?

[link to this post]

I live in a small village (Catterline) in the North East of Scotland (exchange NSCAT) and Openreach have recently been deploying fibre cabinets (hooray!). First there was only one cabinet next to the exchange but then they installed poles and ran overhead fibre to a second cabinet nearer to the village itself, next to an underground joint. The routing of the original copper wiring to the village is underground, with branches coming off with overhead wiring to properties along the way. I am located within the village itself, as part of a housing development which was built in the mid 80s.

As I am extremely keen to upgrade from ADSL to FTTC broadband, I've been consulting the Openreach fibre checker on a daily basis, and the cabinet nearest to the village went live yesterday. However, as it now turns out, when I use my phone number, the Openreach fibre checker thinks I'm on an EO line so my ISP cannot migrate me over. Interestingly, when I check using the telephone numbers of both my neighbours (terraced housing), they can migrate over to FTTC broadband! I've been asking other people in the village to try their phone number and so far they can all get it, but not me. If I put in my exact address (with house number) FTTC broadband is available, just not with my phone number.

I understand that it all depends on the routing of the physical wiring from the house to the cabinet or exchange. In my case, there is one entry point of the copper cabling into the village (across a bridge) and it splits from there to all the properties. The cabinet is located ~300m upstream from this bridge. All wiring to the village passes that cabinet, so I cannot see any reason why I would be the only one not connected to this cabinet.

I have explained all of this to my ISP, but they say they cannot do anything for me. As an individual I cannot speak to Openreach either so what am I to do? I don't mind paying an engineer to come out and confirm I'm on the cabinet, as long as they refund the amount if it turns out I am already connected. If not, could I request to be swapped over to a copper pair which is connected to the cabinet?

Any thoughts, advice or experiences greatly appreciated, thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-Nov-17 15:26:39
Print Post

Re: Openreach Fibre Checker Potentially Incorrect?

[re: AberDino] [link to this post]

With network changes like this it can take some days or a couple of weeks for all the permutations to sort themselves out for the checkers

If after two weeks the checker and providers are still not letting you order then one avenue is email me and I pester Openreach.

Can see NSCAT has only just gone live, but one possibility is someone has added it to the checkers a week early (believe I've seen this in the past)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AberDino
(newbie) Fri 03-Nov-17 15:30:09
Print Post

Re: Openreach Fibre Checker Potentially Incorrect?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If after two weeks the checker and providers are still not letting you order then one avenue is email me and I pester Openreach.

Thanks MrSaffron, I shall let you know either way.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to