General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nyan
(newbie) Fri 03-Nov-17 17:27:04
Print Post

FTTC available on full address but not on phone number

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to the boards, but I've been reading a lot in an attempt to understand our flat's broadband current situation. I'm sorry if my story is long to read, if a lot of unnecessary elements are added, but I would really appreciate your time and consideration. I'm not seeking a miracle, and understand that the end result might still be that I can't have fiber at my flat, but I would like to understand how things works, what could be our options or future.

We are living in a big complex with many flats, I say many as in probably around 300.Obviously we are also in the heart of the city. Our exchange is LSKIN aka Kingston Exchange.
When we moved in, I looked at what we could get, and unfortunately, we were set on an EO line (info from openreach). So we have ADSL 2+ but since we are far from the exchange we receive 7mbps. Some people might say it's not too bad, but for three gamers, this is hell.

I lost hope but because I'm curious I kept looking at the results from Openreach website from time to time. Last week, our status went to "Connect" and we were shown as connected to Cabinet 67. I jumped in joy at the fact that being manually connected to a cabinet from the exchange was going towards getting fiber services to our flat. So I kept refreshing everyday, to witness the progression. We quickly reached the status "accepting superfast orders" yesterday, and since I couldn't believe it, I searched on the BT checker if we could upgrade our plan to fiber. Their website started my order because it reacted to the postcode, but ended up telling me that we were not eligible despite our cabinet being enabled. I came back to the openreach website and used our phone number instead of our full address and it was on the accepting superfast orders with a mention "but your line cannot get it yet as it might be too far from the cabinet blablabla".

On the BT wholesale checker, my number shows that we cannot get FTTC, but previously we could only have ADSL when now FTTPoD is available.

So well, you'll tell me "you got your answer girl, you can't have FTTC". My questions are, why do I get something different when I use my full address, meaning I even select my flat number, not only my postcode, from when I use my phone number? Does it mean that maybe, a deactivated line at my flat got access to FTTC but not my current landline?Or that Openreach asks me for full address for no reason and keeps only the postcode for the search?

Also, since I can't get FTTC, but FTTPoD just appeared at our cabinet, does it mean that we can have hope that orders will be opened or that they can just decide to install it and not offer it? I have to admit that I secretly wish they set this up because our block of flats have a messy cable management and it is the only way to provide fiber to them all, does this scenario happens sometimes? I saw a topic where someone had only ADSL and FTTP offered and since it was the case they had it for the same price as FTTC, I wish I would be in the same situation but this guy was in a house, not in a block of flats so I wonder if there is hope in this case.

I think I'm confused because if it was impossible for us to have FTTC, they didn't have to go to the trouble to connect us to a cabinet and could've left us with our EO line even more because the cabinet isn't brand new, we were just added to it. Is there a technical reason? A commercial point? Can I have hope or should I go hang myself with my ADSL cables?

Many thanks for reading and even more if you have a story to share to help me understand.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-Nov-17 18:04:34
Print Post

Re: FTTC available on full address but not on phone number

[re: Nyan] [link to this post]

Different area but

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4571667-re-...

answer is pretty much the same

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dohmniq
(newbie) Sun 05-Nov-17 10:33:13
Print Post

Also see this very similar thread for a rough idea of how long it took a similar cabinet to go live for phone numbers, not just addresses:

FTTC - "yes" by full address, "no" by phone number

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Nov-17 13:00:24
Print Post

Start with looking at this previous case:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4544269-re-...

Then add the following:

Those internal databases track estimates separately for addresses and phone numbers. They can go out of sync for a day or two, but sort themselves out. But sometimes things stick.
Standard User Nyan
(newbie) Sun 05-Nov-17 18:41:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I will wait and see how it goes then, thanks for the stories and help you're awesome!
  Print Thread

Jump to