General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User snowy44
(learned) Fri 03-Nov-17 17:46:01
Print Post

Moving ISP DLM Reset

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am moving from BT to TalkTalk next week and was wondering on the day that my line and services move to TalkTalk will this cause the DLM to reset my line back to full speeds?

Please could someone confirm if the DLM is reset when moving to a new provider?

Thanks.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 03-Nov-17 20:04:28
Print Post

Re: Moving ISP DLM Reset

[re: snowy44] [link to this post]

Yes.
Banding can stick when changing product even though a DLM reset appears to have happened.
BT and Talktalk use different DLM profiles (BT use Speed/Talktalk use Standard) so there shouldn't be an issue and any banding should be removed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Nov-17 21:19:45
Print Post

I was reliably informed by an ISP that the DLM is only reset if the migration involves a change of Openreach product.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Nov-17 23:30:56
Print Post

As far as I know TalkTalk opt for reliability over speed, and hence the profile I believe is standard? (others to confirm). I would expect it to possibly remove banding, but overall be more conservative than BTs system.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Nov-17 19:12:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I was reliably informed by an ISP that the DLM is only reset if the migration involves a change of Openreach product.
Which would include from BT WBMC to Openreach GEA , as it involves a physical move onto the providers own GEA cable link, so DLM gets reset to the wide open profile , I have seen it myself, when Zen migrated my circuit from BT WBMC to their own GEA cable link , and then reversed the change back to WBMC lost G.inp each time
Standard User Ixel
(member) Sat 04-Nov-17 21:25:21
Print Post

DLM is reset if changing from BT's WBMC to GEA (or vice versa) or if the product's speed is changed (e.g. 80/20 to 40/10 and so on). I can't say whether banding sticks when changing product speed though, I don't imagine it would certainly if downgrading to 40/10.

When one month contracts become a reality one day in the near future then it should be easier to reset DLM by simply changing speed (regrading) and then next month regrade again (if desired).

Edited by Ixel (Sat 04-Nov-17 21:26:53)

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sat 04-Nov-17 23:13:14
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
DLM is reset if changing from BT's WBMC to GEA (or vice versa) or if the product's speed is changed (e.g. 80/20 to 40/10 and so on). I can't say whether banding sticks when changing product speed though, I don't imagine it would certainly if downgrading to 40/10.

When one month contracts become a reality one day in the near future then it should be easier to reset DLM by simply changing speed (regrading) and then next month regrade again (if desired).
Although the line is reset, banding can stick on a product change with the same ISP on the same DLM profile. Williams banding stuck at 34,999 after upgrading from 40/10 to 55/10 with his BT line.
  Print Thread

Jump to