General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tylexon
(learned) Tue 14-Nov-17 14:49:26
Print Post

Re: Help reading Line stats

[re: Tylexon] [link to this post]

It seems that the rates have not changed much at all, I have got a new router being delivered in a few days so maybe that will be better than what I have at the moment.

So far I still dont have any interleaving on and I still have no idea on these SRA and Bit Swap settings even after googling and reading about it, all I got from it was that Bit Swapping will help if a channel is too busy and SRA is meant to help with noise on the line i think.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Nov-17 20:19:42
Print Post

[re: Tylexon] [link to this post]

I believe that Bit Swapping has been present on all UK xDSL systems since Day 1. What it does is if a noise source takes out some of the capability of a particular frequency/bin at some point after the connection was made, lowering the number of usable bits allocated to/provided by the bin, then unused space on another frequency can be used instead to maintain the sync speed. Bits are swapped from one frequency/bin to another.

That does require there still to be available spare space.

SRA, Seamless Rate Adapt(at)ion, allows the modems at each end to adjust the connection speed without needing to disconnect and re-sync when noise gets too high for the current sync to be maintained.

It has been experimented with in the UK in the past, Be Broadband being one ISP that had a go, but as far as I know it is not currently used in the UK. Openreach on FTTC and BT Wholesale on ADSLx have not implemented it.

You need Bit-Swapping ON. SRA doesn't really matter at the moment but I recommend leaving it ON. It does no harm.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Tylexon
(learned) Wed 15-Nov-17 12:39:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you for explaining that.

It does seem an advantage to just leave on then.

Would be nice if it was supported more though, it does seem quite useful, well to me it does.

Not had any drops though apart from when I have caused them so hopefully this connection has stabilised and I can rely on it. well until the new router comes.. then it's going to drop and most likely think there is an issue and go really really slow... but we shall see.

I also wonder if that is a big cause of peoples issues with speed, as most people instantly think to just restart their router if it doesn't seem to be working correctly and that would cause a drop and if it doesn't pick up speed again they are more likely to try again and it might be seen as a bad line...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to