General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thesmileyone
(newbie) Mon 06-Nov-17 02:52:35
Print Post

BT checker says I can get FTTP... what now?

[link to this post]

Quite excited!

So back in July they were wiring fibre down my entire road, had a friendly chat with the engineers who told me my speed (FTTC) would increase (it hasnt, maybe I need to reset profile?) but also told me it is likely I can get FTTP as the telegraph poles are carrying it. There are boxes on these poles, and apparently they carry fibre, so the only distance from the nearest one to my house is about 10 metres. The pole is on my side of the road too which is handy...

So I did a random telephone number check today... it hadnt worked last few months, said number didnt exist, wierd as been on Zen FTTC at around 40/10 for a year.

I was greeted with this:

https://i.imgur.com/ErleRH4.png

Now I am wondering where do I go from here? Don't really wanna pay £300 a month for 3 years, seen places offering it for £180 instead.

Can't see install cost being too high.

I run a business from home so I am sorted there.

I wanted to stick with Zen as they are great...they have an FTTP section on their website but their checker doesn't say I can get it????

330/30 isn't mindblowing, most of my internet work is upload. But I figure if I can get that then I can not only get whatever speed they offer in the future but when I can afford a 1000/1000 leased line all the setup would be done already, as I believe leased lines use the same cabinet.

Thank you

Zen Fibre Unlimited 2
47.3mbit DOWN 9mbit UP 14ms - Speedtest.net
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 06-Nov-17 08:25:11
Print Post

Re: BT checker says I can get FTTP... what now?

[re: thesmileyone] [link to this post]

That's not FTTP. That's FTTP On Demand. Pay a few thousand in install fees and they will run fibre to your property from the nearest fibre aggregation node. It comes with a 3 year contract.
Most properties with FTTC show the exact same as you. It does not mean you have fibre on your pole.

Currently Cerberus and Fluidone sell FTTPod.

There's a recent thread on here showing that the pricing structure for this product is changing in January.

To add to your post. No idea why the engineer said you would get a speed boost from them running fibre down the street. That will absolutely NOT happen. Unless you actually ordered FTTP the presence of the fibre on the poles won't make a bit of difference to any line.

If they have indeed installed fibre on your street, it isn't yet available. I would be very surprised if they did install FTTP as your FTTC speeds meet the superfast targets. It's pretty rare that they install both unless the FTTC speeds are low.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 06-Nov-17 08:30:14)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Nov-17 08:30:46
Print Post

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/guides/fibre-fttc-ftt...

Read the above, covers your scenario, i.e. its only the Fibre On Demand

Three providers - FluidOne, Cerberus or in Wales Spectrum Internet. Pricing is all set to change, but a lot of unknowns so its order now or wait and gamble that on demand build charge will be lower.

If the boxes you refer to are native FTTP then the build charge may be small, but IMPORTANT NOTE, those boxes are built to cope with a demand for those with access to native FTTP, so needs someone to double check that those premises can order native FTTP (i.e. we've seen people confuse boxes that actually serve others 1km away)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Nov-17 08:54:04
Print Post

Others have answered most of your questions. However, just one comment - leased lines don't use the same infrastructure as the FTTP/FTTC product sets so having an enabled cabinet makes no difference to leased line delivery.

Zen don't supply FTTPoD just native FTTP so that's why it says unavailable.

I'm surprised they have run fibre along telegraph poles when you are in a FTTC area (unless it was just passing through to another area that is FTTP) - I would be suspicious of what you've been told.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Nov-17 15:45:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It's possible someone else has ordered FTTPod, if it goes along the poles it would make sense to install hardware for future connections.

Perhaps the OP could post a picture of said boxes.

Standard User Synotio
(newbie) Mon 06-Nov-17 16:32:39
Print Post

Re: BT checker says I can get FTTP... what now? *DELETED*

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 06-Nov-17 16:35:30
Print Post

[re: Synotio] [link to this post]

No idea why you've replied to me with this post? I said nothing about switching supplier.

Pretty sure this post breaks advertising rules here on the forums.
Standard User Synotio
(newbie) Mon 06-Nov-17 16:43:28
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Sorry replied to the wrong comment, and I'm just trying to help someone out

Building 5 Crossford Court,Sale, Manchester M33 7BZ 0161 393 8884
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 06-Nov-17 16:46:52
Print Post

If every ISP did the same this would be a very horrible forum to visit, sifting through the spam.
I'm just warning you it's against the forum rules to advertise.

Makes it worse that you registered just to make that post...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Nov-17 16:47:54
Print Post

Perhaps you should read the forum rules before posting further?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to