General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Broadbean2
(regular) Tue 07-Nov-17 18:31:17
Print Post

BT Broadband Infinity Packages in relation to FTTP

[link to this post]

Hi, I live in West Wales and should soon be able to access a superfast broadband service via GEA-FTTP (anytime between now and end of 2017).

I am aware that only the following ISPs currently offer an FTTP service in Wales:
4Com Ltd; Andrews and Arnold; BT Retail; Entanet; & Zen Internet.

I also understand that pricing at a wholesale level for GEA- FTTP should be identical to GEA-FTTC albeit install fee is higher at £92+VAT due to engineer attendance. With that in mind, I have been researching the FTTP ISPs above to see what is on offer.

I have a query concerning the BT Broadband Infinity Packages currently listed on their website.

Firstly, the price indicated includes BT Line Rental. However, should this apply for an FTTP broadband connection which does not need delivery via a copper line whereas FTTC requires it (and hence line rental is charged)? Interestingly, Zen Internet offer both FTTC & FTTP packages with or without line rental charges but, disappointingly, pricing is practically the same for their FTTP ones.

Secondly, my current phone landline is with BT on an ‘Unlimited Anytime Plan’. Does anyone know whether I will be able to continue this package or will it (as I expect) be replaced by the signing up to 18-month contract that applies to the Infinity packages on offer? Incidentally, those Infinity packages only include ‘Free Unlimited Weekend Calls’. If my existing BT landline contract needs to be cancelled and replaced for a further 18-month term, will I be able to change it to include an ‘Unlimited Anytime Plan’ which would result in an increase in price?

Finally, I was hoping to discuss my query with BT Retail today. However, one of my neighbours spoke to their FTTP sales team the other day and, it seems, they would not give him or anyone pricing details until he/they was connected and able to order a service.

Anyone here have any experience of ordering a GEA-FTTP service from BT Retail and, if so, can answer the points that I have raised above?

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Nov-17 18:41:23
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband Infinity Packages in relation to FTTP

[re: Broadbean2] [link to this post]

LIne rental still applies as the cost at the wholesale level of a data only service is the same as the copper for voice plus fibre for data (which is what most of the Welsh build is) and also the same as the Fibre with Fibre Voice Access products.

Incremental revenue from voice calls also goes some way to keeping broadband price down potentially, hence why so few other the data only option.

Call plans remain unchanged, and would expect you to still be using the copper phone line for your calls if that is what is at the property now, i.e. when ordering and linking it to the existing BT account the options for calls are all there.

Generally calling them is a waste of time, as they give out confused or conflicting information as the FTTP service is not that common and sales staff get confused easily.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Broadbean2
(regular) Wed 08-Nov-17 00:00:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your prompt response – good service as always & much appreciated.

According to a posting on the BT Care Community Forums, this is the phone number - 0800 587 4787 of BT’s FTTP team if you want to order FTTP.
Some forum members have claimed that buying an FTTP package online is not possible (probably why nothing is shown for FTTP on BT’s website).

I will phone that number once I get advice that FTTP is available for me to order.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Nov-17 08:46:34
Print Post

Buying FTTP online is definitely possible and does get listed for people who have it available - it just won't appear if the database doesn't have the address as FTTP enabled.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Nov-17 09:41:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Broadbean2:
Some forum members have claimed that buying an FTTP package online is not possible (probably why nothing is shown for FTTP on BT’s website).

Definitely shows up for my address online

https://s1.postimg.org/5lh5m3nwlb/screenshot1.jpg

But to get the above you actually need to put in an address/number of a property which is FTTP ready.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Nov-17 10:37:14
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Correct and given the number of times the BT Consumer website has broken itself in this regard its now a regular check when we update the package prices which is at least weekly...

Not forgot news on BT price rise - just lots of other stuff to do.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Broadbean2
(regular) Wed 08-Nov-17 20:12:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks to everyone who responded and for the advice offered. Much appreciated.
Standard User cymru123
(member) Thu 07-Dec-17 09:00:06
Print Post

Just to let you know I have detected some properties in SA38 9PZ and SA38 9QA is now showy as FTTP available.
  Print Thread

Jump to