General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ollie87
(newbie) Thu 09-Nov-17 10:42:01
Print Post

Having a really strange issue with my VDSL

[link to this post]

Back in September (the 20th) I moved from BT Broadband to Vodafone due to the offer at the time being excellent. When I was with BT I used to get a downstream sync of around 65-69Mbps and I was generally happy with the connection, pings were great, uptime was brilliant and in the 1000s of hours.

However ever since I've moved to Vodafone I've been having issues, sometimes the connection is fine for days, but then I'll get 5-7 drops over a 12 hour period. I've been plugged into the master socket/test socket since the connection went live, I had to otherwise it wouldn't even connect! My downstream sync is now 55Mbps, but weirdly despite all the drops hasn't dropped down any further than 55Mbps

An example of that is here:
09-11-2017

Yet last week:
03-11-2017

Vodafone are struggling to figure this out and seem to be against sending an engineer out, trying to blame my house wiring (again, I'm in the master socket), they blame me for using HomePlugs, an AppleTV, basically anything they can think of. They even suggested I go out and buy my own Modem/Router at a cost to myself! I'm getting really frustrated now. Yet the only thing that has changed is I unplugged my BT HomeHub and plugged in Vodafone's router.

Any one have any idea what might be going on with my connection?

Edited by ollie87 (Thu 09-Nov-17 10:55:05)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 09-Nov-17 10:52:14
Print Post

Re: Having a really strange issue with my VDSL

[re: ollie87] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ollie87:
Vodafone are struggling to figure this out and seem to be against sending an engineer out,
I'm not surprised as what you posted gives nothing to go on
trying to blame my house wiring (again, I'm in the master socket),
that means nothing, you need to be in the test socket
they blame me for using HomePlugs, an AppleTV, basically anything they can think of.
all of these could cause a problem
They even suggested I go out and buy my own Modem/Router at a cost to myself! I'm getting really frustrated now. Yet the only thing that has changed is I unplugged my BT HomeHub and plugged in Vodafone's router.
The vodafone router is known to have problems
What are the actual problems you have?
Standard User ollie87
(newbie) Thu 09-Nov-17 10:54:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Vodafone are struggling to figure this out and seem to be against sending an engineer out,
I'm not surprised as what you posted gives nothing to go on
trying to blame my house wiring (again, I'm in the master socket),
that means nothing, you need to be in the test socket
they blame me for using HomePlugs, an AppleTV, basically anything they can think of.
all of these could cause a problem
They even suggested I go out and buy my own Modem/Router at a cost to myself! I'm getting really frustrated now. Yet the only thing that has changed is I unplugged my BT HomeHub and plugged in Vodafone's router.
The vodafone router is known to have problems
What are the actual problems you have?

Someone didn't do reading comprehension in Primary School.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Nov-17 11:04:35
Print Post

The Vodafone router has poor wifi.

If you stream video to Wifi devices or have more that 6 of them I would switch of the Wifi on the Vodafone router, connect it to your BT router with an ethernet cable, disable the DHCP on the BT router, and make sure that it has an IP address which is outside the DHCP of the Vodafone router and does not confict with the Vodafone router.

For Vodafone, I use a 2nd hand Zyxel VMG8924-B10A bought on ebay for less than £25.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Nov-17 11:05:14
Print Post

Are you in the master socket or test socket?

Different modems will handle the noise pick up issues slightly differently so the Home Hub may have held on through the noise bursts if short where as the Vodafone modem is not. How this sort of thing is handled is one of the differences between different modems.

The test socket is important, as if just in the usual master socket the effect of noise on the extensions is still a factor for VDSL, i.e. those extensions need isolating in noise terms via a faceplate filter.

As for Home Plugs it is possible they are an issue, they do share similar radio spectrum so you cannot discount them.

So in terms of ideas its strip it down to test socket and no Home Plugs and see if things improve, if they do then start using HomePlugs again and if all well still you'll know it was not them.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ollie87
(newbie) Thu 09-Nov-17 11:08:10
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:

If you stream video to Wifi devices or have more that 6 of them I would switch of the Wifi on the Vodafone router, connect it to your BT router with an ethernet cable, disable the DHCP on the BT router, and make sure that it has an IP address which is outside the DHCP of the Vodafone router and does not confict with the Vodafone router.

For Vodafone, I use a 2nd hand Zyxel VMG8924-B10A bought on ebay for less than £25.

Nothing to do with Wi-Fi in this case, it's WAN drops. Which Vodafone confirm they can see happening.

I no longer than the BT HomeHub as I sent that back to BT.

Also I don't tend to stream video over Wi-Fi, I use HomePlugs for the following devices:

1. Gaming PC upstairs
2. Gaming PC downstairs
3. AppleTV
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Nov-17 11:09:26
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Don't think its Wi-Fi issues or load crashing router as the BQM shows jumps in base line latency so the DLM system may be learning its optimum position in terms of interleaving. G.INP etc

If the Vodafone modem is less stable than the HomeHub this might end up in slower speeds

Keep bidding to get a bargain Zyxel for my 2nd line to replace old ECI modem, the little cheap VDSL2 modems e.g. TP-Link W9970 used to just do the simple modem task do really well compared to the bundled stuff.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ollie87
(newbie) Thu 09-Nov-17 11:14:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Are you in the master socket or test socket?

Different modems will handle the noise pick up issues slightly differently so the Home Hub may have held on through the noise bursts if short where as the Vodafone modem is not. How this sort of thing is handled is one of the differences between different modems.

The test socket is important, as if just in the usual master socket the effect of noise on the extensions is still a factor for VDSL, i.e. those extensions need isolating in noise terms via a faceplate filter.

As for Home Plugs it is possible they are an issue, they do share similar radio spectrum so you cannot discount them.

So in terms of ideas its strip it down to test socket and no Home Plugs and see if things improve, if they do then start using HomePlugs again and if all well still you'll know it was not them.

Yes, sorry it's the test socket. I have the latest Openreach NTE5C socket and I've removed the faceplate and I've tried several different filters. It's also worth noting that I don't have any other phone sockets in the house any way.

If I'm not using HomePlugs then I have to use Wi-Fi and I don't find it in any way acceptable due to the amount of jitter it seems to introduce into my online gaming. The BT HomeHub seemed to cope just fine with it.

Edited by ollie87 (Thu 09-Nov-17 11:16:08)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 09-Nov-17 12:07:22
Print Post

Someone didn't do reading comprehension in Primary School.
Lol, no need to say thanks, you're welcome.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Thu 09-Nov-17 12:27:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:

Nothing to do with Wi-Fi in this case, it's WAN drops. Which Vodafone confirm they can see happening.

I no longer than the BT HomeHub as I sent that back to BT.

Also I don't tend to stream video over Wi-Fi, I use HomePlugs for the following devices:

1. Gaming PC upstairs
2. Gaming PC downstairs
3. AppleTV

WAN drops or sync drops? Itís cruical that we know whether your router is losing sync with the Openreach cabinet or not.

Icaras
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to