General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Sat 11-Nov-17 15:36:24
Print Post

Fibre speed.

[link to this post]

I have copied this post here so as not to take the other thread off topic -

Might want to have a word with the Government then, since they want millions and millions of full fibre rolled out, because apparently millions want it.

I do not believe there are millions and millions wanting full fibre roll out, I recently moved to TalkTalk faster fibre i am getting fairly constant speeds in the high twenties low thirties (not counting the burst) using the TBB Speed checker i am happy with the speed and cannot see a reason to pay more for more speed, my question is why do some members want such high speeds or is it just a case of i can afford it so want the fastest i can get?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Nov-17 17:48:37
Print Post

Re: Fibre speed.

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Price is important, as what the alternatives are. If you can only get sub 2Mbps via a DSL connection which probably costs £20 + per month, you might think that 50Mbps for £42 per month from Gigaclear is a better alternative. Alternatively, if you are in York, Talk Talk fibre optic at £21.70 for 1Gbps is hard to beat and probably more reliable than any DSL alternative.

Michael Chare
Standard User j314
(learned) Sat 11-Nov-17 18:11:26
Print Post

Since I went from ADSL to FTTP I've found many improvements from the increased bandwidth, from major productivity jumps (I work from home and can send demo files to clients in 30 seconds instead of 25 minutes) to frivolous entertainment (streaming games with PS Now/Nvidia NOW).

And keep in mind that even the use cases we see as luxurious and unnecessary right now will become standard in time. Go back 10 years and you will find people confused that anyone needed more than 8Mbit down, because nothing needed that kind of speed. Go back another 10 years and almost everyone was content with dialup. As the typical consumer's bandwidth grows, so do the applications for it. It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg scenario, I suppose.

Ookla speedtest tells me my 74/21 is "faster than 94% of GB". I'm willing to bet that in another 10 years (or less), that is going to be seen as a bare minimum for a usable connection rather than near high end.

Edited by j314 (Sat 11-Nov-17 18:12:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Nov-17 18:16:51
Print Post

[re: j314] [link to this post]

+1

(committed) Sat 11-Nov-17 18:40:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks MC and J, i remember those days of dial up internet online gaming with a ping of 100+ was not the smoothest but it was a massive buzz being able to play real people, as time moves on we will need faster speeds but i wonder how many people out there are paying over the odds for speed they don't need just because the big numbers look good.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Nov-17 18:59:57
Print Post

I also remember Mary Turner, at the time the CEO of Tiscali UK, saying that nobody needed more than 2Mbps smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(committed) Sat 11-Nov-17 20:13:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I also remember Mary Turner, at the time the CEO of Tiscali UK, saying that nobody needed more than 2Mbps smile.

I remember the first time i switched from dial up to ADSL and went on Ebay i can still remember the speed in which the page loaded and the wow factor feeling, remember on dial up when the page used to load in sections. laugh
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sat 11-Nov-17 20:16:38
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I think price does play an important part in making the decision. However as someone else posted here, its also got to do with how much you will use it (i.e work etc..).

In my case I work completely from home in my current role. However even if I wasn't I want the fastest, most stable speed I can get for what I think is a fair price. Now what I believe is a fair price someone else may not.

For example, today I have Zen Internet, I have been with them for over four years and they have been FLAWLESS. I am on their business tariff since the beginning and paying £75 a month (I don't run a limited company so I cannot expense this).

Now with things like netflix etc.. its becoming more important to have the bandwidth (4k streaming will make the more evident).

But I agree with my comment on my other post. Millions may want it, but if TBB made a poll about how much people are willing to pay for 330mb etc I would say it would sit near £30 max £45 a month.

Snake smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Nov-17 20:19:29
Print Post

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

Used to do polls and the benefit in terms of use was limited as any result was called out as being a group of geeks responding, not a UK representative sample

On the comment I made it was not with respect to people upgrading from ADSL to FTTP but those people on cable or FTTC who can already stream 4K i.e. in the 30 Mbps and upwards real world speeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Nov-17 21:33:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
I do not believe there are millions and millions wanting full fibre roll out, I recently moved to TalkTalk faster fibre i am getting fairly constant speeds in the high twenties low thirties (not counting the burst) using the TBB Speed checker i am happy with the speed and cannot see a reason to pay more for more speed, my question is why do some members want such high speeds or is it just a case of i can afford it so want the fastest i can get?

This is one that's asked from time to time. My response would simply be this picture, and to invite you to think about how long it would take your good self on your service to acquire this one game via digital distribution.

https://s18.postimg.org/o6ipwjzix/Voom_Steam.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to