General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 13-Nov-17 18:05:28
Print Post

Re: Using an OR Huawei Modem

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
You would be able to use the TP-Link wifi to access the Internet via the Now TV router.

It can be a cheap way to improve your wifi. especially if you already have the router.

As a solution it would cost less than buying a new wireless access point, though there are some good Wifi access points that you can get these days

Ah I get you now, Would I turn off the Now TV Hub WiFi in order not to have it conflict the other router ?

CJT.

On NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Nov-17 19:58:53
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

smile
I was and am perfectly calm. I see nothing "uncalm" in what I previously said.

Note that my original post was a reply to:-
In reply to a post by TTTJJJ:
If you're not planning on having the supplied router, you could always just use a VDSLmodem/router, there's plenty available online that combine the two so you needn't have a separate OR modem.

I think the only reason the OR existed back then was purely because devices capable of being a router and a modem for VDSL were too expensive and not widely available.
In my reply to you which upset you, my "both" was referring to the OP's ECI and the Huawei he is considering. The fact that both OR FTTC modems are in fact modem/routers locked down in bridge mode was irrelevant to the answer I was giving to the second paragraph in the quote above.

The mention of the Frog was merely pointing out that BT (did Openreach exist at the time?) didn't allow tinkering with the Frog either and it was the only allowed device.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Nov-17 22:23:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The mention of the Frog was merely pointing out that BT (did Openreach exist at the time?) didn't allow tinkering with the Frog either and it was the only allowed device.

Was that on the 512kbps service?

I was given an Alcatel modem. Black box, standalone, all locked down. I can't remember what I used as a router, though I'm pretty sure the Alcatel was just a modem ... perhaps I used a Linux server to perform routing.

However, that was for the original Demon trial, where they put us on the 2Mbps service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 08:12:51
Print Post

The difference with the frog was that it was pretty much a dumb modem. All the settings you would generally tinker with in a router were controlled via the PC - so tinkering was possible because the interface to manage it all was the PC rather than in the modem. Barring flashing the firmware there was nothing else that could be done directly with the modem as there was nothing on it to change.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:06:14
Print Post

Ah I remember the Green Frog modem, I remember a company I worked for had ALL their PC's connected to a switch which I think in turn connected to one PC which the modem was connected to... so that we could share their internet.. that was back in 2002/2003..... I first had ADSL (so new at the time) with Metronet... and my partner (at the time) and I had to buy our own router!

Great service though, no "dialling in" smile

CJT.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Nov-17 12:17:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The main point in mentioning the Frog was that it was the only device you were supposed to use. As were the two FTTC "modems". I simply expressed it in a way that could be (and was) misinterpreted.

This continuing discussion of it is ridiculous. I reiterate for the second time, with a parenthesised insert in the quote from the post I was replying to for clarity as the post-chain isn't obvious, and mine with a suitable strikeout, that I was giving the reason for Openreach insisting on them being used frown. The mention of the Frog was purely that they did the same on ADSL when it was introduced.
In reply to a post by TTTJJJ:
I think the only reason the OR (Huawei and ECI "modems") existed back then was purely because devices capable of being a router and a modem for VDSL were too expensive and not widely available.
Openreach wanted full control of the modem, which is why they were locked down. The same happened when ADSL was introduced, with the Frog.
Is everybody happy now? frown

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:08:12
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

..... except they were turquoise.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:09:15
Print Post

It's only a discussion Bob, you seem to be taking umbrage at something where no slight was intended.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:10:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I almost made a similar response but I know that some people see turquoise as turquoise, some as blue and others as green. It is a colour that seems to largely be in the eye of the beholder and I have had "discussions" with family members in the past on just that subject.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:16:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
..... except they were turquoise.

Oh so they were....

https://offog.org/notes/speedtouch-revival/speedtouc...

CJT.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to