General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 12-Nov-17 09:04:37
Print Post

Using an OR Huawei Modem

[link to this post]

Good Morning,

I have recently moved to NowTV Broadband, and I intend to stop using the supplied router (having got the relevant info from it. What I wondered was it is also worth having the OR Huawei Modem as well? At a previous address OR supplied me with the ECI Modem and I used that in conjunction with my Router.

I could Flash the Huawei modem as I then understand you can get more info from it. But is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

CJT.

Currently....
On Virgin Media Up to 50Mbps

Moving to NOW TV Broadband
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 12-Nov-17 09:31:40
Print Post

Re: Using an OR Huawei Modem

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Why are you planning to stop using the Sky supplied one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Nov-17 09:34:37
Print Post

I'm still using my OR modem. I now use a router (Billion 8800) that has a built-in modem but can't be bothered reconfigure things.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 12-Nov-17 22:56:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

It's not dual band, and my £30 TPLink router performs better with WiFi...

CJT.

Currently....

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 12-Nov-17 22:58:36
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
I'm still using my OR modem. I now use a router (Billion 8800) that has a built-in modem but can't be bothered reconfigure things.

I have been looking at the 8800 on eBay (2nd hand) they seem to be really good, and look neat! I can't say my TPLink looks neat sadly

CJT.

Currently....

Standard User TTTJJJ
(newbie) Sun 12-Nov-17 23:56:44
Print Post

If you're not planning on having the supplied router, you could always just use a VDSLmodem/router, there's plenty available online that combine the two so you needn't have a separate OR modem.

I think the only reason the OR existed back then was purely because devices capable of being a router and a modem for VDSL were too expensive and not widely available.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Nov-17 00:39:03
Print Post

[re: TTTJJJ] [link to this post]

Openreach wanted full control of the modem, which is why they were locked down. The same happened when ADSL was introduced, with the Frog.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Nov-17 06:55:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Openreach wanted full control of the modem, which is why they were locked down. The same happened when ADSL was introduced, with the Frog.

The frog was just a modem, it is different to the BTOR modem which is not really a modem anyway as such, it is a a router as well.

In the frog ADSL days, most of us was not interested in mucking around with settings anyway, having the extra speed compared to dial up kept most of us happy for a while.

Different days now, well for some anyway, some like to muck around with settings and try and get that last extra bit out of their broadband.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Nov-17 06:58:36
Print Post

I thought sky used a different system to authenticate and only a few routers/modems will work?

As for flashing the BTOR modem, depends if you really want to know the info, I have had Fibre for a few years now and I have never bothered to flash the modem as long as it worked and I could get a decent speed.

Granted when Plusnet sent me the Zyxel, I had a nose, now that i can.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 13-Nov-17 08:35:59
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I thought sky used a different system to authenticate and only a few routers/modems will work?

I followed a few online posts, and a video on YouTube, so find the login/authentication info.

Not as yet tested it.

Just annoyed at Now TV/SKY over how poor the router is! frown

CJT.

On NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Nov-17 09:30:53
Print Post

The frog was just a modem, it is different to the BTOR modem which is not really a modem anyway as such, it is a a router as well.
So what? Both as delivered are locked down in bridge mode so in effect are modems.

It is irrelevant to my point.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Nov-17 11:47:41
Print Post

Why not buy a decent WiFi AP?
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Mon 13-Nov-17 13:05:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJT:

I followed a few online posts, and a video on YouTube, so find the login/authentication info.

Not as yet tested it.

Your router needs to support DHCP option 61/MER to work with Sky.

Many older TP Link don't, but I know certainly some of the current models do.

The other option would be to flash your router with open/dd-wrt if it is supported.

Edited by Davey_H (Mon 13-Nov-17 13:07:42)

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 13-Nov-17 16:08:52
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:
Your router needs to support DHCP option 61/MER to work with Sky.

Many older TP Link don't, but I know certainly some of the current models do.

The other option would be to flash your router with open/dd-wrt if it is supported.

I have found what appears to be a supported version of Open WRT for the Model of Router I have...

Bit anxious if I should try this out....

frown

CJT.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Nov-17 16:19:40
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Or connect the TP-Link router to the Now TV router using and Ethernet cable. Disable the DHCP on the TP-Link router and make sure that its IP address does not conflict with the range of the DHCP of the Now TV router and is not the same as Now TV rouer's local network address .

Michael Chare
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 13-Nov-17 16:58:21
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Or connect the TP-Link router to the Now TV router using and Ethernet cable. Disable the DHCP on the TP-Link router and make sure that its IP address does not conflict with the range of the DHCP of the Now TV router and is not the same as Now TV rouer's local network address .

what would that allow me to do? Sorry bit confused..

CJT.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Nov-17 17:16:13
Print Post

You would be able to use the TP-Link wifi to access the Internet via the Now TV router.

It can be a cheap way to improve your wifi. especially if you already have the router.

As a solution it would cost less than buying a new wireless access point, though there are some good Wifi access points that you can get these days

Michael Chare
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Nov-17 17:31:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJT:

Not as yet tested it.

I presume they are using the old Sky router, i heard it was pretty poor, I looked at Now TV broadband, but changed my mind due to the router and other things, I am glad Io stayed with plusnet now.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Nov-17 17:33:33
Print Post

So what? Both as delivered are locked down in bridge mode so in effect are modems.

It is irrelevant to my point.

Wow, calm down.

TBH, i did not even know the frog had any firmware as such or anything that could be unlocked, I did not think any of those USB modems settings could be changed, but then I never really looked.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 13-Nov-17 18:04:21
Print Post

I presume they are using the old Sky router, i heard it was pretty poor, I looked at Now TV broadband, but changed my mind due to the router and other things, I am glad Io stayed with plusnet now.

They are using a re-branded model - NR701 but it's just like an SR102 just with NOW TV replacing the Sky logo, and the menu being a NOW TV Hub

CJT.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Mon 13-Nov-17 18:05:28
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
You would be able to use the TP-Link wifi to access the Internet via the Now TV router.

It can be a cheap way to improve your wifi. especially if you already have the router.

As a solution it would cost less than buying a new wireless access point, though there are some good Wifi access points that you can get these days

Ah I get you now, Would I turn off the Now TV Hub WiFi in order not to have it conflict the other router ?

CJT.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Nov-17 19:58:53
Print Post

smile
I was and am perfectly calm. I see nothing "uncalm" in what I previously said.

Note that my original post was a reply to:-
In reply to a post by TTTJJJ:
If you're not planning on having the supplied router, you could always just use a VDSLmodem/router, there's plenty available online that combine the two so you needn't have a separate OR modem.

I think the only reason the OR existed back then was purely because devices capable of being a router and a modem for VDSL were too expensive and not widely available.
In my reply to you which upset you, my "both" was referring to the OP's ECI and the Huawei he is considering. The fact that both OR FTTC modems are in fact modem/routers locked down in bridge mode was irrelevant to the answer I was giving to the second paragraph in the quote above.

The mention of the Frog was merely pointing out that BT (did Openreach exist at the time?) didn't allow tinkering with the Frog either and it was the only allowed device.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Nov-17 22:23:19
Print Post

The mention of the Frog was merely pointing out that BT (did Openreach exist at the time?) didn't allow tinkering with the Frog either and it was the only allowed device.

Was that on the 512kbps service?

I was given an Alcatel modem. Black box, standalone, all locked down. I can't remember what I used as a router, though I'm pretty sure the Alcatel was just a modem ... perhaps I used a Linux server to perform routing.

However, that was for the original Demon trial, where they put us on the 2Mbps service.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 08:12:51
Print Post

The difference with the frog was that it was pretty much a dumb modem. All the settings you would generally tinker with in a router were controlled via the PC - so tinkering was possible because the interface to manage it all was the PC rather than in the modem. Barring flashing the firmware there was nothing else that could be done directly with the modem as there was nothing on it to change.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:06:14
Print Post

Ah I remember the Green Frog modem, I remember a company I worked for had ALL their PC's connected to a switch which I think in turn connected to one PC which the modem was connected to... so that we could share their internet.. that was back in 2002/2003..... I first had ADSL (so new at the time) with Metronet... and my partner (at the time) and I had to buy our own router!

Great service though, no "dialling in" smile

CJT.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Nov-17 12:17:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The main point in mentioning the Frog was that it was the only device you were supposed to use. As were the two FTTC "modems". I simply expressed it in a way that could be (and was) misinterpreted.

This continuing discussion of it is ridiculous. I reiterate for the second time, with a parenthesised insert in the quote from the post I was replying to for clarity as the post-chain isn't obvious, and mine with a suitable strikeout, that I was giving the reason for Openreach insisting on them being used frown. The mention of the Frog was purely that they did the same on ADSL when it was introduced.
In reply to a post by TTTJJJ:
I think the only reason the OR (Huawei and ECI "modems") existed back then was purely because devices capable of being a router and a modem for VDSL were too expensive and not widely available.
Is everybody happy now? frown

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:08:12
Print Post

..... except they were turquoise.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:09:15
Print Post

It's only a discussion Bob, you seem to be taking umbrage at something where no slight was intended.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:10:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I almost made a similar response but I know that some people see turquoise as turquoise, some as blue and others as green. It is a colour that seems to largely be in the eye of the beholder and I have had "discussions" with family members in the past on just that subject.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:16:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
..... except they were turquoise.

Oh so they were....

https://offog.org/notes/speedtouch-revival/speedtouc...

CJT.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:18:53
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yeah, considered putting a ‘ but maybe you are colour blind’ in there, but it seemed rude.

Came across a couple which were black (for no discernible reason).

I took the guts out of a turquoise one and my son used it as a bath toy.

My first Broadband ISP was Metronet too.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:20:37
Print Post

Stylish little blighters weren’t they. smile

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:21:58
Print Post

Or do you mean really ugly.. LOL

I can't quite decide wink

CJT.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:22:47
Print Post

And then there were the people that called them stingrays rather than frogs.
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:23:18
Print Post

Just a side note about MetroNet (probably will vanish one day)

The website still works: MetroNet

CJT.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Nov-17 13:25:56
Print Post

Nah, stylish, for sure.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to