General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gtrman
(newbie) Sun 12-Nov-17 13:06:57
Print Post

BT offering almost worthless FTTC upgrade

[link to this post]

Last year I raised a case to get BT to upgrade my broadband to FTTC as I thought I was about 1500m from the new fibre-enabled cabinet . They eventually (after escalation to the Ombudsman) explained that it was not technically viable as I am actually 2200m from the cabinet. Surprisingly, BT Wholesale have recently started offereing VDSL on my line with an estimated download speed of 1.5 - 3.5, and upload speed of 0.8 to 1.2.

My ADSL was getting worse, sometimes down to 0.2 usually about 1.4. After more badgering BT raised a case to Openreach who have now fixed faults with my copper and I now get a magnificent 2.9M/s.

BT retail are trying to get me to pay an extra 84 quid a year for FTTC + the fixed costs of 60 quid for the hub. Not only that but they shamelessly round up the BT Wholesale download estimate to "2M to 4M". I call that lying.

I have had a verbal promise from the sales person that if VDSL turned out slower for download than ADSL that I would get a full refund, but I would want that in writing. Chances are that download would be about the same.

It's a lot of extra money for NOT-superfast broadband.

I think this is mis-selling.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sun 12-Nov-17 13:54:35
Print Post

Re: BT offering almost worthless FTTC upgrade

[re: gtrman] [link to this post]

They won't give you promises in writing. If you don't want to "upgrade" then don't. You can't really lose out though. All calls with BT sales staff are recorded. If there's any dispute then they check the call back. You can also ask the sales staff to put a note on your account stating that you've been promised a free regrade back to ADSL.

You've escalated to the ombudsmen that they won't let you offer FTTC. Now they will, you want specific personal guarantees in writing. I'm so glad I no longer work in customer services. I have a feeling you would be a nightmare to deal with smile

It can't do any harm to try it. You may get 5-6Mb. I've seen similar from slightly longer lines.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Nov-17 15:46:33
Print Post

Re: BT offering almost worthless FTTC upgrade

[re: gtrman] [link to this post]

You don't need to buy it from BT either, there are other operators who will deliver FTTC at lower prices.

Sales people are not the best for this sort of thing, go through the online sales path and speed ranges and minimum guaranteed are laid out nicely ready for a screenshot.

At 2200m the general advice is as you've found its a personal choice as to whether the upgrade is worth it, for some for work from home even a jump from 0.4 Mbps upload to 1 Mbps would make it a lot better. If you are on an old up to 8 Mbps ADSL service, you move off the more congested backhaul and get a much better IP Profile system too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to