General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Tue 14-Nov-17 00:56:34
Print Post

Trying to find out what's going on...

[link to this post]

I've been spending the past couple of years following the status of fibre (fttc) for a friend at their house.
They're on a very long line which gets approx 2Mb on a good day. The cabinet was upgraded to fttc about a year ago, but the line was still too long to support fttc, so it was back to plain old ADSL.
Around that time I discovered that a fill in AIO cabinet was being installed around the corner, and the early part of the year saw a flurry of activity from BT.
Then it went quiet. I've been checking BT's DSL page ever since, looking for changes. Nothing so far.

However, I've just being doing some digging on the codelook page which has now thoroughly confused me.

Originally I thought the line was fed from cabinet 8 on the Askern exchange. The new AIO cabinet seemed to be labelled up as cab 13. But according to codelook the new cabinet is 8 and it went live in June.
Either way, the BT DSL checker shows cabinet 8 and always has done. The line is still showing as being really long.

Is there any way to find out which cabinet is which, and what the plans are? Or is the best plan to just sit in the DSL checker?

Many thanks!
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 14-Nov-17 08:30:43
Print Post

Re: Trying to find out what's going on...

[re: gromit69] [link to this post]

The new cabinet is 13 and did go live in June,. However not all the DPs in the post code were moved over (don't know why) so possible they are still on cab 8
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Nov-17 10:52:46
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

See more of this happening in the last 6 months, and at later dates we do see more moving across. Suspect staggering is down to the some DP's having no-one on existing service so co-ordination needed with providers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gromit69
(committed) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:33:09
Print Post

Re: Trying to find out what's going on... *DELETED*

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Post deleted by gromit69
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:35:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you both - I'm kinda thankful that something has actually happened.

Is there anyway to force a switch over - is it something the ISP can request?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:39:14
Print Post

Nope since if its tied to others being on existing cabinet needs all providers to agree timing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:55:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah rats!

Back to checking the DSL page every couple of weeks!

Thank you smile
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Nov-17 13:00:33
Print Post

The installation of an AIO, and copper re-arrangement, suggests that a BDUK project is subsidising the work.

They might be a point of contact to get any changes considered.
  Print Thread

Jump to