General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andyfr
(member) Thu 16-Nov-17 11:45:52
Print Post

Internal preparation for FTTP installation

[link to this post]

Following on from my previous post, I put the fibre drop cable in the ducting and itís now at the house ready for the next phase. I want to get prepared inside ready for installation.

I have Ethernet cabling terminating at a patch panel in an under stairs cupboard and a switch and modem router to complete the network. The internal walls are partition so I have managed to conceal the cabling by running it under the floor. The cupboard is 2.5 metres from the outside wall and Iím thinking about putting conduit under the floor so that the fibre can come up inside the wall. What size conduit should I use?

The patch panel has keystone sockets and I have a couple of empty ones, could I get a fibre keystone socket?

I have been told that we will get the choice between BT and Zen as ISP, I got a Draytek 2860 a few months ago will it be possible to use this instead of a supplied one from the ISP?

Andyfr
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 16-Nov-17 11:57:24
Print Post

Re: Internal preparation for FTTP installation

[re: andyfr] [link to this post]

Are you sure the WAN throughput on the Draytek will be sufficient to max out your fibre speed?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Nov-17 12:08:37
Print Post

Fibre patch panels are feasible, but the Openreach tech will want to terminate their fibre and see it plugged into the ONT.

Plug/socket names escape me for fibre that Openreach ONT are using.

On the conduit the Openreach developers guide will (link somewhere but not at hand) will say what diameter for internal

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyfr
(member) Thu 16-Nov-17 12:12:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Fibre patch panels are feasible, but the Openreach tech will want to terminate their fibre and see it plugged into the ONT.

Plug/socket names escape me for fibre that Openreach ONT are using.

On the conduit the Openreach developers guide will (link somewhere but not at hand) will say what diameter for internal

Hi Andrew

Thanks for that. Should I have the conduit go up inside the wall ready for the tech?

Andyfr
Standard User andyfr
(member) Thu 16-Nov-17 12:14:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Are you sure the WAN throughput on the Draytek will be sufficient to max out your fibre speed?

According to the Draytek site it's 300 and as I will be going for 80 it should be fine.

Andyfr
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 16-Nov-17 12:15:36
Print Post

Indeed. Shouldn't be a problem then.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Nov-17 12:18:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by andyfr:
I got a Draytek 2860 a few months ago will it be possible to use this instead of a supplied one from the ISP?

The Draytek 2860 should be ok as it has gigabit WAN ports. Just be aware though, if wifi coverage is important then the 2860 is nothing special as are pretty much all Draytek routers wrt wifi. In that case might be worth getting a router such as Synology RT2600ac or Netgear R7800 which are amongst the best for wifi coverage.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User andyfr
(member) Thu 16-Nov-17 12:20:57
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I've installed RJ45 sockets throughout the house so very little wi-fi needed.

Andyfr
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Nov-17 12:34:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by andyfr:
I've installed RJ45 sockets throughout the house so very little wi-fi needed.

Our computers & set-top boxes are wired, but a good proportion of usage comes from tablets and mobiles now, so good wifi is a must.

If I were prepping a house nowadays, I'd also figure where to put one or two WiFi access points. I'd choose something that mounted on the ceiling, and put RJ45 cabling there (not sure of the form factor though). I'd make sure I could deliver PoE to those points too.

I currently use an Xclaim Xi2, but if buying today, I'd go for a Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Nov-17 16:48:09
Print Post

Data transfer rates over wifi tend to run at 1/4 to 1/3 the nominal connection speed!

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to