General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alexfooty
(newbie) Mon 20-Nov-17 16:41:31
Print Post

How long from new fibre cabinet installed to activation?

[link to this post]

Hi
We are served by cabinet 42 on the Prescot exchange.

A new larger fibre cabinet has recently been installed next to the old one. Work seems to have been completed and the pavement resurfaced.

How long, typically, should it take until the fibre broadband becomes active?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Nov-17 16:43:32
Print Post

Re: How long from new fibre cabinet installed to activation?

[re: alexfooty] [link to this post]

Typically a few months

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alexfooty
(newbie) Mon 20-Nov-17 17:00:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Typically a few months

Mant thanks

Any idea what causes the delay?

Also, I've seen some cabinets around with a notice saying "fibre broadband is here" pasted on them. Is the normal for all fibre cabinets when they become active?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 20-Nov-17 18:15:05
Print Post

Standing the cabinet is just the beginning. Cables have to be installed linking the 2 cabs, fibre has to be brought to the cabinet and the power company has to make a connection. None of that can start until the cabinet is stood and will typically require further excavations
The sticker should not be applied until the cabinet is ready for service but often they are placed prematurely, some have been in place years before they have been ready
Standard User alexfooty
(newbie) Mon 20-Nov-17 19:57:17
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Standing the cabinet is just the beginning. Cables have to be installed linking the 2 cabs, fibre has to be brought to the cabinet and the power company has to make a connection. None of that can start until the cabinet is stood and will typically require further excavations
The sticker should not be applied until the cabinet is ready for service but often they are placed prematurely, some have been in place years before they have been ready

Many thanks.

I suppose the good thing is that the process has, at least, been started.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Nov-17 07:19:00
Print Post

With the local FTTC, for some months prior to any work starting, the forecast In-Service Date was 31st May 2014.

The actual work started in November 2013; and was In-Service in mid-March 2014, so about 2.5 months early.

As well as the needs of individual cabinets, a total of about 28 around town were installed in that period, so that for example, the foundations for all were done apparently by one squad working through the various sites.

Almost exceptionally, the local FTTC does not have any "Superfast Broadband" adverts on it, only the small Warning Labels for Mains.

---------

In September 2017, the associated PCP Cabinet 1980's shell was replaced by a new one, which basically is very similar to the FTTC, apart from not having any ventilation louvres/slots in it.

I noted when the old shell had been removed, the internal wiring frame, was leaning forward about 20 degrees from the vertical.

Is this a design feature, for access?

This probably was the cause of some reduction and significant variability of BB speed, from the general disturbance of the wiring and joints (287 lines with about 90 upgraded to VDSL BB).

Over the past two weeks, this has improved; but not quite to the previous level and consistency.

That was using the SpeedOfMe Test site, where because of the plot presentation, it is quite obvious.

It did show up but not as obviously on TBB and BTW.

Nor anything using the Quiet Line Test.
Standard User dohmniq
(newbie) Tue 21-Nov-17 11:29:18
Print Post

alexfooty,

You might find it helpful to set up an alert from roadworks.org for the area between the new cabinet and the exchange.

Sometimes OpenReach need to clear ducts so they can pull the fibre through. Clearing ducts usually triggers a roadworks.org alert so you'd get the feeling that at least some sort of progress is being made.
Standard User alexfooty
(newbie) Tue 21-Nov-17 13:28:17
Print Post

[re: dohmniq] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for your informative replies.

Have set up alert with roadworks.org

Many thanks
Standard User TygerTyger2010
(regular) Tue 21-Nov-17 15:27:40
Print Post

Also, I've seen some cabinets around with a notice saying "fibre broadband is here" pasted on them. Is the normal for all fibre cabinets when they become active?

Just for reference our FTTC cabinets were live before the BT Infinity stickers were put on them, around a couple of months before if I recall correctly. I was looking at my exchange on samknows.com in the spring of 2015, and, Lo we had active FTTC. I had it ordered and up and running before they openly advertised the service as live on the cabinets.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1

Edited by TygerTyger2010 (Tue 21-Nov-17 15:28:39)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Nov-17 16:25:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by alexfooty:
Typically a few months

Mant thanks

Any idea what causes the delay?

I can confirm the 3 to 4 Months, our cabinet had its fibre cabinet installed July and I have just looked yesterday and its now live for everyone on it.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to