General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User roughbeast
(member) Tue 21-Nov-17 18:55:45
Print Post

Sudden improvement in TBB speed test results

[link to this post]

Something has changed.

After years of getting TBB speed test results way below my actual speed I am suddenly getting results near my paid-for speed. Also the difference between the single and multi-thread tests is much reduced.

Does this mean that the TBB connection to my part of the VM network has been improved after so long, or has the quality of my own connection suddenly improved?

My Broadband Speed Test

Virgin Media: 300Mb/20Mb , land line, mobiles x4, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box. Superhub3 in modem-only mode. Using RT-N66U router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Nov-17 23:17:55
Print Post

Re: Sudden improvement in TBB speed test results

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

Tester is still the same, but Virgin Media has been doing various things to improve speeds for people so its probably the result of that.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Wed 22-Nov-17 02:48:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by roughbeast:
Something has changed.

After years of getting TBB speed test results way below my actual speed I am suddenly getting results near my paid-for speed.

Does this mean that the TBB connection to my part of the VM network has been improved after so long, or has the quality of my own connection suddenly improved?

My Broadband Speed Test

That doesn't really make sense; VM can't make your connection to a specific site any better, unless they really really wanted to, and were willing to spend lots of money. As a second point, an improvement to your local network consisting of "whatever" will of course make your connection better if it's done correctly; but that, by definition, won't be done just for you.

Your connection has got better - yay, etc.

If you want to make it even better then follow the generic steps from guidelines on here, nothing you've mentioned makes your connection's circumstances unique.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Wed 22-Nov-17 11:17:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User roughbeast
(member) Wed 22-Nov-17 07:51:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My speed tests on other multi-thread tests have not changed. They remain around 300-330Mb. Only TBB has changed.

Virgin Media: 300Mb/20Mb , land line, mobiles x4, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box. Superhub3 in modem-only mode. Using RT-N66U router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Nov-17 11:32:38
Print Post

As we've observed in news its all about the long term trend.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to