General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mendip
(newbie) Sat 25-Nov-17 14:58:42
Print Post

FTTP Connectorised Install Questions

[link to this post]

Good Afternoon All,

With a great deal of luck, a following wind, moon in the right phase etc. I should be having FTTP installed in a weeks time or so. I appreciate that a whole myriad of obstacles may occur, and it might be one year and a weeks time, but these problems are outside my control.

However, I do have a few questions which the Gurus on this forum might be able to help me with, in order to do everything within my power to ensure a smooth install for my part.

The aggregation Node is about 10 metres from my premises (in a duct and confirmed in place), and the Connectorised Block Terminator is about 7 meters from my presmises on a Telegraph pole (where the current copper lines are run to the premises at roof level), again in place.

I am assuming it will be a connectorised install because of the presence of the CBTs and I believe that a connectorised, ‘one stage install’ fibre installation will be conducted and I have the following questions:

1) What is/are the size/dimensions of the fibre 'connectors'? Ideally, I would like the Fibre ONT to be placed in the region of the existing OR copper faceplates. The cables for these travel through a small duct in an internal wall from initial premises entry, but I wonder whether it would be sufficient in size.

2) Would you recommend avoiding placing the ONT equipment in a heating room for the premises? This is currently where the OR copper cables enter at roof level (and then go through a wall into the office areas, and hence my question above).

I am happy to route Ethernet cables to and from the ONT final location to the distribution equipment, and indeed have different options available.

With the answers to the two questions above, I can plan and have a series of choices available for the OR Engineer on the day, to make sure that the process doesn't fail because of something I could have prevented.

Many, many thanks in advance if anyone is familiar with this process and can take the time to assist.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Nov-17 15:18:04
Print Post

Re: FTTP Connectorised Install Questions

[re: Mendip] [link to this post]

Don't have a size of the connector, but this is only added after the drop fibre has been run to the location of the ONT, so holes do not need to cope with connector, official duct and bend radius are given in https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/resources/sit...

A photo of a piece of the drop fibre, with the external black and then stripped back to the white indoors bit is something I just added to my twitter at https://twitter.com/MrSaffron/status/934440300151525381

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Nov-17 15:31:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Except the OP says they are fed OH, so a hybrid cable will be used, with a single copper pair affixed to the fibre itself...

The question I’d ask is ‘how big is this duct he refers to ? ‘ and is there draw cord in it ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Nov-17 15:37:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What difference to the size of cable does it make? Only seen the blown fibre versions of the copper/fibre hybrids, so next time its press event will see if a section of the hybrid can be obtained.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Mendip
(learned) Sat 25-Nov-17 15:53:08
Print Post

Thank you very much indeed for your response Mr Saffron and also the Twitter picture; so about 6mm from that picture. For some reason I imagined that 'Connectorised' meant the drop cables would be pre-terminated i.e. with connectors, but thanks to your clarification I now realise I am in error - thank you.

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Except the OP says they are fed OH, so a hybrid cable will be used, with a single copper pair affixed to the fibre itself...

The question I’d ask is ‘how big is this duct he refers to ? ‘ and is there draw cord in it ?

Thank you also Zarjaz. So am I correct in understanding that the Hybrid cable, will also run alongside, but not attached to the existing OH copper cables into the premises? It is not a problem, just trying to be clear in my mind.

To answer your questions, about 12mm diameter, and yes there is a draw cord in it. It could take another one, perhaps two at a push, Cat5e cables, but my concern was the width of the connectors, but I now realise that these are added after install.

Many thanks indeed for your kind help - it is really appreciated.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Nov-17 18:06:52
Print Post

The hybrid could be used to provide both, so use existing copper cable to pull through the hybrid, then you’ll have both where you want it.

Yes the ends are pre connected, BUT this is the end that plugs into the CBT .... then you run to wherever and then fit the end on which will go into the ONTE.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Nov-17 18:09:25
Print Post

I’ve none on my van right now, but there’s a couple of reels just round the corner from here, I’ll take a couple of pics tomorrow and email them to you Andrew.

Standard User Mendip
(learned) Mon 27-Nov-17 14:30:57
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The hybrid could be used to provide both, so use existing copper cable to pull through the hybrid, then you’ll have both where you want it.

Yes the ends are pre connected, BUT this is the end that plugs into the CBT .... then you run to wherever and then fit the end on which will go into the ONTE.

Thank you again Zarjaz, much appreciated and all clear now. Just to add that there is already an existing four pair cable, with all four pairs being used, so it will be interesting to see on the day what happens. Perhaps I will gain another pair - always handy....

I will revert back when the installation is complete and advise what actually happened, but I am sure it will be along the lines (no pun intended) you describe.

Once again many, many thanks.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Nov-17 16:42:32
Print Post

4 pair UG or 4 pair internal ? If the former, that sounds like a tight fit.

P.S Have taken pics of the hybrid connectorised cable and emailed them to Mr. S, would say it’s around 9 mm at its widest.

Edited by Zarjaz (Mon 27-Nov-17 20:46:36)

Print Thread

Jump to