General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lownote
(newbie) Sun 26-Nov-17 23:31:41
Print Post

Why is Fibre not activated after one month of operation?

[link to this post]

I receive phone service from New Star Networks who has me getting Business Broadband from Gamma. About six months ago OR/BT replaced my cabinet with a new one and made fibre service available. My ADSL service was only providing 9.5 down and 0.8 up. The NSN salesman assured me I could get 40/10 with FTTC fibre so I converted. I was not happy when my new service only provided 10.5/1.3. It was explained that I lived too far from the cabinet.

About 3 months ago OR/BT started installing a new Cabinet 13 in North Berwick about 300 yards from my house. I watched it installed with great anticipation. About a month ago, on the last day of work at the cabinet, I spoke to the 2 engineers working in the cabinet. One was doing the copper phone connections and the other guy had driven all the way across the country to install the fibre. He told me the fibre work would be done in 20 minutes.

The next night the new cabinet went live as confirmed by DSLChecker.bt.com but service availability showed only ADSL service and no fibre service. My serviceónow ADSL and not VDSLówas much steadier and speeds went to 11/1.3. However, Iím paying for fibre and not getting it. I have been unable to get any information from ORómy first inquiry took 14 days to answer and requested that I describe the problem again, which I did, and was informed I would have to wait 28 days for a response. NSN has been unable to provide me any information on when I can expect to get the service Iím paying for. Gamma responded quickly but told me they couldnít work directly with me because of their arrangement with NSN.

Can anyone explain why OR/BT would fail to activate the fibre service to this new cabinet? Is there a way to get this rectified and onto their work order list? Since Iím the only person in the neighbourhood connected to the new Cabinet 13 dumb enough to be paying for non-existent fibre service, Iím concerned that OR/BT doesnít even know that they have a problem. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Lownote
North Berwick, Scotland
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Nov-17 09:28:09
Print Post

Re: Why is Fibre not activated after one month of operation?

[re: Lownote] [link to this post]

Am a little confused over what actual service you have now, have your ADSL speeds from 9.5/8 to 11/1.3?

Or is the 11/1.3 from FTTC. On the original 40/10 assurance yours is a perfect example of misselling.

As for why not able to order, it usually takes a week or two from live for providers to process orders neatly, but as yours is an infill cabinet they will be a much longer period since Openreach has to wait and inform all providers about moving existing FTTC customers from the old to the new cabinet, and a date that suits all operators has to be agreed on i.e. the delay is not technical but administrative

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GorillaWheels
(member) Mon 27-Nov-17 11:23:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew unless Iím reading this wrong lownote has already gone onto a 40/10 package but isnít getting much improvement over his original ADSL speeds. Yes totally agree has been miss sold, but just because a new cabinet is going up 300 yards from his house he wonít be connected to this one will he, so it wonít be any advantage to him? If he did go to fibre a while back, he must be connected to a different cabinet and his distance from it must be the reason for lower VDSL speeds...or am I reading this wrong?

Dave in the Peopleís Republic of Cumbria
BTBroadband Infinity 1 with free Sept 2017 upgrade to 80 / 20
61.4 / 17.42 sync achieving approx.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GorillaWheels
(member) Mon 27-Nov-17 11:25:28
Print Post

Lownote when you do DSLChecker does it say you are served by cabinet 13? What FTTC speed prediction does it say for your landline or address?

Dave in the Peopleís Republic of Cumbria
BTBroadband Infinity 1 with free Sept 2017 upgrade to 80 / 20
61.4 / 17.42 sync achieving approx.
Standard User Lownote
(newbie) Mon 27-Nov-17 11:47:30
Print Post

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for your replies and comments. I was in Cabinet 6 for years which was over a mile from my house, and ADSL speeds were between 9 and 10 down and just below 1 up. After Cabinet 6 was fibre enabled, NSN switched me from ADSL on Plusnet to FTTC on Gamma. My speed barely changed, and when I complained, I was told that my distance prevented me from getting the speeds they had promised. The salesman is no longer with NSN.

When the new Cabinet 13 was built very close to my house, I was switched over from Cabinet 6 to Cabinet 13Ėshown in both DSLChecker and the Main OpenReach website. The OR website says they are accepting super fast orders but then says ďYour area is enabled for Superfast Fibre, but you may not be able to order a service because our engineers are carrying out some maintenance on the cabinet that connects to your home.Ē

After the switch from Cabinet 6 to Cabinet 13, the top portion of the page on DSLChecker that used to show FTTC speeds disappeared and now only ADSL performance is showing. As a result of this I assumed that I was only getting ADSL and not FTTC service. I hope Iím right since Iíll want to shoot myself if a brand new cabinet 300 yards from my house should be able to deliver FTTC at 80/40. There are other cabinets in the North Berwick Exchange that ARE delivering 80/40 FTTC service.

I hope Iíve answered all the questions, and given these answers, any other thoughts?

Lownote
North Berwick, Scotland
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 27-Nov-17 11:48:58
Print Post

FTTC is 80/20
Standard User Lownote
(newbie) Mon 27-Nov-17 11:54:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Oops. My bad. I meant 80/20.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 27-Nov-17 11:55:49
Print Post

Presume you were on cab 5 not cab 6?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Nov-17 11:57:33
Print Post

Okay you will still be getting the FTTC from the old cabinet hence the no change in speeds, and thus it is still a slow VDSL2 service.

As I explained existing customers take longer to switch over to the new cabinets, as while cabinet is live and working, Openreach need to liase with the wholesalers who liase with their retailers to agree a date to switch everyone over.

The maintenance is the Openreach shorthand for this process.

So its initially wait for a couple of weeks and pressure provider to make sure they understand and are actively chasing to get things sorted out. Then if after a month nothing has happened its use the fallback which is me and I pester Openreach to prod and make sure that everything is updating.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lownote
(newbie) Mon 27-Nov-17 12:09:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK. First, I was on Cabinet 6 and not Cabinet 5, although I seem to recall that they may have changed the number of the Cabinet from 5 to 6 when it was replaced with the new shiny green box.

If Iím still getting my FTTC service from Cabinet 6 despite it showing that Iím connected to Cabinet 13, that would certainly explain it. I made the heroic assumption that I had been fully moved because of the websites say I have, the OR engineer doing the copper wiring in the new cabinet told me I had been moved from 6 to 13, and because the speed of my broadband increased slightly and it got a lot more stable. The last reason may simply be because they split the load between two cabinets.

Iíll keep watching DSLChecker and the OR site to see when FTTC becomes available to order and hope that there will be some sort of automatic cut-over of my FTTC service then.

The waiting is of course very frustrating since I want to be able to synch servers I have here and in my office in Houston, Texas where Iím getting 250/50 through Comcast cable. The only way to do that now is via SneakerNet with an external 4TB hard drive.

Lownote
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to