General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Nov-17 18:35:02
Print Post

Zen vs, IDNet vs Uno ?

[link to this post]

I've finally got a date to move into my new house.
I'm now trying to decide who is the best option for FTTC.

Zen looks good but call costs are expensive
IDNet look good but do I need elevated priority to guarantee bandwidth and throughput ?
Uno seem good, low cost and very helpful.

I'm currently using a pfSense box as my router ideally I'd like to keep this.

Anyone any good or bad comments about any of these providers or other suggestions ?

Thanks
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 27-Nov-17 18:57:41
Print Post

Re: Zen vs, IDNet vs Uno ?

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

Have you looked at VOIP for reduced call charges? Gigaset DECT kit is very cost effective and opens up a wide choice of call providers. That might level the playing field a bit perhaps.

Aquiss might be worth a look if you stick with using a standard POTS line for calls, or line rental with Pulse 8 (and possibly their broadband as well)

There's always AAISP if you're happy to spend a little more as well smile

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Nov-17 19:41:44
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm also trying to work out if ceasing my current line and taking over the line that is there or moving my line will be quicker. Any ideas ?

I don't mind loosing my current phone number.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Mon 27-Nov-17 19:43:29
Print Post

I've just switched from SKY 80/20 to ZEN 80/20. Sky wasn't bad at all but I did notice a bit of latency especially at peak times.

Connection to ZEN is pretty perfect, getting very low pings and constantly top speed. Also they give you a decent router. Overall really pleased I chose Zen.

Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 80000 20000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 76490 20947
Current throughput kbit/s 76490 19999
Seamless rate adaptation off off

Speed test (over Wifi)
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6829967120.png
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:10:13
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Just tried to call Zen to discuss this, but they are busy.
I waited a while and then hung up.

May try again shortly.
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:16:24
Print Post

I think they shut sales at 8pm:

9am - 8pm weekdays
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:25:28
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

OK I'll email them and see what they say.
Is it worth keeping the line with BT or moving it all to Zen ?

Thanks
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:25:47
Print Post

I was with Zen until recently, they didn't handle a line fault (broadband fault) I was having eventually forcing me to order a second line from AAISP which also had this issue and after four SFI engineers AAISP resolved it. I was also suffering with slow single threaded download speeds and intermittent packet loss (as it appears some other Zen users have been too - see forum category on here). I don't know if I can honestly recommend Zen at this time. IDNet and Uno however I've heard good things about them both (although never actually used them).

However if you can afford it, I would honestly and strongly recommend AAISP after my experience with them (since October). They've been nothing but superb! The staff you can directly speak to either on the phone, email or the IRC, know their stuff for sure. They even develop (or help develop?) the Firebrick router. The control panel is very informative and functional. The community on the IRC also know their stuff.

Edited by Ixel (Mon 27-Nov-17 20:29:42)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:26:38
Print Post

Zen have had some well documented single thread speed issues which impacts a small minority of users.

As you state, they are also very expensive for phone calls if you are thinking of migrating the phone line over to them.

IDNet also use Zen Wholesale for Backhaul (along with Fluid Data / TTB) and a few of their users have been impacted by single thread speed issues.

I've always been impressed by Uno when I've called them but they are a bit more expensive than IDNet. It's a shame their TalkSurf Fibre package is available at so few exchanges, because that is more competitively priced.

ferretuk's suggestions are all worthy of consideration. Pulse8 are dirt cheap for calls and they resell a TTBW service, which is pretty good. I have a lot of time for Martin Pitt at Aquiss and AAISP have probably the best reputation in the business (but at a cost).
Standard User jdigz7
(regular) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:31:24
Print Post

I've just switched to IDNet from a TTB line which hasn't went as smoothly as I hoped.

xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 1
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 23728 Kbps, Downstream rate = 121104 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate: 23728 kbps 121104 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power: 4.4 dBm 13.7 dBm
====================================================================================
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 U4 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 4.8 16.9 24.3 N/A N/A 8.7 20.2 30.7
Signal Attenuation(dB): 4.8 16.1 23.6 N/A N/A 10.9 20.0 30.7
SNR Margin(dB): 15.6 15.5 15.5 N/A N/A 17.8 17.8 17.8
TX Power(dBm): -11.1 -27.1 4.1 N/A N/A 11.0 7.8 7.0
#

My sync is as good as its gonna get for me but seems I'm suffering peak time performance issues every evening ( With no changes in the stats or re syncs) No noise on the line. Now i understand it's an 'upto' service but when i sync at top speed and the package price is £42 a month i kind of expect not to have such issues if i was on a budget ISP It would make sense but drops in speeds sometimes as low as 20-50mbit average when it comes into peak then only returns to 70+ late in the morning after midnight to me isn't acceptable.

and contacting support have told me they see 'no issues' so I've had to add the Traffic Priority option for £10 per month to see if that will make any sort of difference taking my total package price to £52 a month now. the dslchecker gives me a handback speed of 60MBit. Personally though i don't believe this is just an IDNet issue as a neighbour is having the same issue on Plusnet who also are using BTWholesale to provide on my exchange.

Can only wait and see if it makes any difference but not impressed so far. If it cant be remedied will have to look at another ISP like UNO who use TTB LLU at least then i know i will receive the peak time service i should expect.

Also to note the peak time issue isn't just a drop in download speed it's also causing minor packet loss and jitter on a otherwise good connection.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to