General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fuzed
(newbie) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:10:11
Print Post

understanding TBBX and Bursting

[link to this post]

I've moved over to a new provider the past week, and prior to these guys I was with SSE, I use test my net normally to do speed tests, but I noticed serious slow down on sat night - 9mb download speed around 11pm till midnight.

I left my previous supplier due to such issues.

I've emailed them and they've asked me to log results using thinkbroadband.

So I have been doing so, and noticed a bit of a difference on speed tests using the two sites.

I can see my tbbx is aroun 15-20mb bursting upto 65ish mb, but I would like to understand what this all means.

What is TBBX, and what is Bursting, what should I be getting on a line that I would normally get around 76mb on?

results hare here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15118130097...

thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:35:51
Print Post

Re: understanding TBBX and Bursting

[re: fuzed] [link to this post]

tabby is actual a single HTTP download, so is good for highlighting congestion, wireless and other issues, many speed tests don't offer this diagnostic but just the many downloads at once hence the HTTPx6 test getting close to your connection speed

Average speeds are the median speed during the test, the burst is the 85th percentile, and is included as some other testers have a tendency to only show a figure close to this.

I've not looked but it is possible Cloudscape may be using the same backhaul infrastructure as SSE which may explain a similarity in results

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fuzed
(newbie) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:43:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So basically I'm getting 20ish MB down instead of the speeds I should be getting due to congestion? These tests are being done using a wired connection, so I know its not wifi.

Is there any way to find out if cloudscape is using the same backhaul infrastructure? I know SSE were using Daisy, and daisy was the biggest issue. If this is the case I will be canceling the order.

I asked them if they were using daisy and I was told they didn't.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:49:20
Print Post

A number of providers who use TalkTalk Wholesale backhaul have had issues like you see and they have been getting it fixed as and when people raise it as an issue

If it is congestion when its quiet, e.g. 1am to 8am you should see the single download test improve

What activities does the problem actually show up with, other than speed testing?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fuzed
(newbie) Mon 27-Nov-17 20:52:57
Print Post

I've only just joined Cloudscape last Monday as I had major issues previously.

I noticed Saturday night that the connection was really poor whilst on a video call, so did some tests straight after and got a test my net speed of 9mb down.

So I knew there was an issue, but thought it may well be due to me moving to these guys last week

Edited by fuzed (Mon 27-Nov-17 21:03:05)

Standard User fuzed
(newbie) Tue 28-Nov-17 12:06:06
Print Post

I've done a few tests last night and noticed the speed increases late in the off peak periods, almost to the same speeds the connection seems to be running at.

I've provided this info to cloudscape who wan't me to test over the next five days, as I work full time I can only do this in the evenings, but they have asked if I could do it during the day, which I can not.

Is there a way to do some automated tests i.e. every hour or so, similar to test my net?

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Nov-17 12:19:47
Print Post

There is a version https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/index.php?... but this skips the single thread download but it will automatically do another test after a 15 minute wait from last one completing

Standard User fuzed
(newbie) Tue 28-Nov-17 12:21:12
Print Post

It needs to do the single thread so we can see what congestion were getting and when, thanks, will have to look into using remote access to do the tests.

Edited by fuzed (Tue 28-Nov-17 12:23:36)

Standard User Philce
(experienced) Sun 03-Dec-17 18:37:54
Print Post

Looks like there is a major outage today.
Connection keeps stalling and I’m having to use 3G.
Status page says “major maintenance, complete at 18.00”

Still down and no replies to support tickets.

Are you seeing issues today?
Standard User fuzed
(newbie) Sun 03-Dec-17 18:54:27
Print Post

[re: Philce] [link to this post]

I've been away since yesterday, so not been at home so unsure. Although my IP cameras been offline since yesterday. So could be an issue with all customers.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to