General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bewA
(regular) Tue 28-Nov-17 06:08:19
Print Post

Just moved, speed questions

[link to this post]

So I just moved to a new area and everything is up and running as of yesterday thanks to BT (yep I said that)!

The BT wholesale checker suggested 40mb down on clean which was a little less than what I was currently getting, which is fine.
The line was activated yesterday and currently on fast path with no dlm but I'm getting 54998kbps and 9998kbps.
I'm on BT's 54/10 product as you may have guessed. However the confusion is the attainable rates being 114780kbps down & 36319kbps.

To me this means I could get the 80/20 product? however I've just started the honeymoon period so things could change, also if the product available is based on the wholesale checker I'll never be able to upgrade to the higher package.
My line has been active for 16hrs at the time of posting with 134 ES, but as you probably guessed a full 24 period hasn't completed.

I welcome your advice and thoughts!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Nov-17 07:59:37
Print Post

Re: Just moved, speed questions

[re: bewA] [link to this post]

Wholesale don't restrict the sales of the 40/10 and 80/20 products, there is a small advantage in terms of peak bandwidth (but so small most won't see it) beyond connection speed so selling what ever the retailer orders is the order of the day.

So its BT Consumer you would need to convince.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bewA
(regular) Tue 28-Nov-17 09:45:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks.

but essentially if my attainable rate is showing approx 110mb down then there's nothing to technically stop me from having the 80/20 product providing i can convince BT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Nov-17 10:33:16
Print Post

Looks that way

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bewA
(regular) Tue 28-Nov-17 20:49:26
Print Post

called BT and because it's showing on the system (fed from bt wholesale) that my line is capable of 40mbps they can't upgrade me to infinity 2. they've said they'll get someone to call me within 5 days but i'm not holding out much hope!
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Nov-17 10:29:13
Print Post

I believe Infinity 1 is getting a speed bump anyway:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7833-free-speed-...

Might be worth holding out for a little while and seeing if you get it for free.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Nov-17 11:04:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Though if BT Consumer is sifting and only upgrading those it thinks will benefit the poster may be missed off the list.

The answer to the puzzle is the actual property location and actual cabinet location - the Openreach and BT Wholesale checkers are not 100% correct and in addition to the FTTC and FTTP corrections we feed back, have found the odd location where their estimates are well out compared to reality and our model.

Standard User bewA
(regular) Wed 29-Nov-17 11:21:28
Print Post

that's precisely the issue, it's a database error. I just need to be speaking to the correct person who will flag it to be investigated.

i remember when my old place had an FTTC cabinet installed my property was flagged as getting 80mb even though 45mb was only achievable. certainly going by my attainable rate.

As soon as they update the system then i should qualify for an upgrade to infinity 2.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Nov-17 12:59:03
Print Post

PM sent with high level complaints email.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 29-Nov-17 13:00:53)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Dec-17 20:07:53
Print Post

Get any response on this one?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to