General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Fri 01-Dec-17 16:00:10
Print Post

Weird Fault

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

It's been a long time, since I was last on here, so I hope everyone's well.

Well, after I raised concerns about a line fault a while back, it looks like it's finally materialised, but I can't completely diagnose it as what I think is a HRJ fault.

Basically, the other day, after a solid 23 days uptime, there was a resync. Then, after that resync, most times the landline phone was used, the line would drop out completely, and then come back, a few minutes. However, once it didn't come back during the whole call, even after the landline phone was hung up. I then had to use the landline phone again, to get the Hub to resync. The other thing I've noticed, is that to my knowledge, the connection hasn't dropped when a call has come in, only when some have been made, going out.

Also, I've noticed that if the Hub does drop due to a landline phone call, but then reconnects during it, the DS rate can drop by nearly 10 Mb!

What is even weirder though, is that last night I disconnected the phone line completely from the master socket, and connected it again. Every time I've used the landline phone since then, it's not dropped out, only a slight drop in DS SNRM has been noted.

I've done several line tests, but only the usual slight buzzing is noted (I'm using a DECT landline phone).

I'm thinking there's something wrong somewhere, because I doubt this "quick fix" I made last night, will last forever.

What do you think?

Thanks!

William

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 01-Dec-17 18:13:55)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Dec-17 17:11:41
Print Post

Re: Weird Fault

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

How did you test the line. Did you ask a BT operator to test the line?

Michael Chare
(experienced) Fri 01-Dec-17 17:20:27
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I used the Openreach line test system (17070 option 2).

William Grimsley.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Dec-17 17:27:20
Print Post

I think I may have used a 151 (or 150) number in the past which does a proper test. Alternatively I would call the Indian call centre, either using a mobile with nothing connected to your master socket not even extension wiring or one phone just plugged into the internal socket.

Michael Chare
(experienced) Fri 01-Dec-17 18:12:51
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I'm not going to report a fault yet, as atm the connection seems to be fine, whether the landline phone is being used or not. But, if I need to, I think I'll go down the chat route, as the call centre isn't great, at the best of times.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 01-Dec-17 18:26:01)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Dec-17 19:51:42
Print Post

Sounds like the cable between the DECT base and the phone socket wasn't firmly home. Or a similar problem in that area that got fixed by you doing what you did.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(experienced) Fri 01-Dec-17 20:59:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Right, thanks Bob. smile

I'm just wondering, if the DS SNRM is still being affected when the landline phone is in use, then would that confirm that the issue is still present, even if its not affecting enough to cause the broadband to drop out? Also, AFAIK, nothing changed that would've affected the phone cable, so I don't know how it could've come loose... A mystery, I wonder if it'll come back. If it does, I would assume that I have an intermittent HRJ fault, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's me thinking the worse. LOL.

Just thought I'd mention (yes you know my relationship with DLM LOL), after all of these drop outs, DLM hasn't made any negative changes to my line, which really surprised me, to say how brutal it has been in the past, due to just a few resyncs. Maybe it's had an update/become more lenient.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 01-Dec-17 22:07:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Dec-17 22:00:51
Print Post

My SNRM drops by ~1.5dB when the landline is in use. AIUI that sort of thing is normal.

It has never caused a problem except when I was running with my sync-time SNRM set to 1dB smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(experienced) Fri 01-Dec-17 22:03:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, if that's normal, then apparently what I'm experiencing is better than that! I thought the phone line wasn't supposed to interfere with the broadband side, in any way?

William Grimsley.
(experienced) Sun 03-Dec-17 16:40:14
Print Post

I've just started uploading to MDWS again under the ID "Grimmybob". As of now, I can't see any that jumps out at me as being bad, but there are some fairly big DS SNRM dips. What do you guys think? Just to let you know, I'm not going to obsess over MDWS this time, I'm just monitoring them because of what happened earlier in the week. smile

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Sun 03-Dec-17 16:41:30)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to