General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(member) Fri 01-Dec-17 16:19:13
Print Post

VDSL Attenuation and Slow speeds

[link to this post]

Looking for a bit of advise here,

Just ordered a VDSL service at an address that the BT DSL Checker predicts a speed between 55 and 73mbps

Service was activated yesterday and the sync speed is 16mbps - clearly very poor

The BT HomeHub reports a line attenuation of 31/22.9dB

I found an attenuation to sync speed calculator for VDSL2 and it predicted a sync of 18mbps based on this attenuation, does that sound accurate?

Having tried BT "Technical" help they had no idea what attenuation actually was and suggested I wait a month before contacting them again. Clearly I don't want this to drag on past the cooling off period as I don't want to be stuck in an 18month contract for a service that performs so poorly.

Screenshot of Sync Speed: https://imgur.com/a/yq37l

Any ideas?
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Fri 01-Dec-17 16:20:52
Print Post

Re: VDSL Attenuation and Slow speeds

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

Yes, that does sound about right. But, either your line is faulty, or the checker is wrong. Do you know how long your line is (have you traced it to the cabinet)?

William Grimsley.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Dec-17 17:00:34
Print Post

Could you describe its set up within the property please ?

Is it on an extension, or is there extension wiring connected unfiltered to the NTE ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Fri 01-Dec-17 17:01:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Need to know how long his line length is, before we go into trying to fix it...

William Grimsley.
Standard User connormill
(member) Fri 01-Dec-17 17:07:14
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

I can see the cabinet, it's on the same road as my house.

I now know the line is faulty, just went out and picked up an analogue phone and the line noise is so high you can barely hear the dial tone.

When you can hear the dial tone it's very intermittent

BT live chat were next to useless insisting that despite this the line didn't show any faults and this was normal during the "Stabilisation" period.

I managed to get an Openreach appointment by being very firm with the agent who really didn't want to send one out.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Dec-17 17:32:32
Print Post

Unplug all the broadband hardware and if the phone is still bad, get that reported and fixing that dodgy connection/wire is likely to improve the broadband

NOISE ON THE PHONE WHEN ALL BROABDAND KIT IS UNPLUGGED IS NOT NORMAL

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User connormill
(member) Fri 01-Dec-17 17:37:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Unplug all the broadband hardware and if the phone is still bad, get that reported and fixing that dodgy connection/wire is likely to improve the broadband

NOISE ON THE PHONE WHEN ALL BROABDAND KIT IS UNPLUGGED IS NOT NORMAL

Done that, hence the "I now know the line is faulty"

For context the set up is line in - Old BT JB - NTE5 - BT Hub

nothing else int he house, noise is present at all times and it is very bad. Openreach are coming on Monday despite BT customer Services best efforts
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Dec-17 17:44:33
Print Post

I wonder if the pinhead who did your cab jumpering has ballsed it up ?

Badly terminated PC100 connection ....

If itís testing OK, then they will most likely have raised a CDTA task (conscience decision to appoint) come in, PQ test and that is sometimes that. MAKE SURE you see and hear them test the dial tone for noise. They should then use the TDR function on their tester to measure to the HR.

Standard User tomse43
(regular) Fri 01-Dec-17 19:29:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Slightly off topic but when I upgraded to FTTC, the person that did the upgrade somehow managed to unplug my line and I could hear someone's phone calls and getting their calls on my line but internet side was fine. Was very strange.

Reported the fault but an OR engineer knocked on my door asking if my line was working, unrelated to what he originally went to the cab for.
(experienced) Fri 01-Dec-17 21:02:48
Print Post

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

Yes, I've heard about a few of these issues. It's because the broadband (D side) is connected just to the cabinet, whereas the telephony (E side) is connected all the way back to the exchange, so they're entirely seperate. AFAIK, both the D and E side on ADSL, are both connected the same way, so if the E side is affected, the D side is too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 01-Dec-17 21:03:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to