General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Fri 01-Dec-17 22:54:42
Print Post

Fibre / conduit question

[link to this post]

We live between two villages that are Fibre enabled. But unluckily on some 2km of old copper cable. So only ADSL2+ unluckily. Had an Openreach engineer round today to look at an issue (pole down) and got talking about Fibre. And he said that they would be looking to replace the old copper (buried under ground and follows the road) with Firbe at some point. Hopefully within a couple of years. And it would be FTTP. Now I had sort of assumed this would never happen in my lifetime! As the line only supports probably a dozen or so properties.

I would have thought that the cost would be prohibitive!?

Out of interest... can they just pull fibre cable through the old conduit buried along the roadside (that currently contains the copper cable)? or do they have to put in all new conduit to support the fibre?

Sort of got my hopes up a bit. Though I suppose that he could have been talking rubbish.

----
Mike
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Dec-17 08:17:41
Print Post

Re: Fibre / conduit question

[re: MrBeeline] [link to this post]

If the ducting isn't blocked or full then yes fibre can be installed in it, and relatively cheaply. If its blocked then they may be able to clear the blockages.

It's when they have to replace ducts or install ducts where there aren't any, costs sore.

PS. Don't get you're hopes up too much, I doubt many engineers are privy to fibre expansion plans.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 02-Dec-17 10:41:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Dec-17 09:10:00
Print Post

Lots of talk of 10 million homes of full fibre from Openreach by mid 2020's but it is just talk, and given Chinese whispers I would treat it as such until https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br... starts to mention a FTTP journey

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pipcoo
(newbie) Sat 02-Dec-17 10:00:30
Print Post

I am in a similar situation to yourself and thought we would never get decent fixed BB but recently the OR checker has changed to showing FTTP in scope albeit with no timescale mentioned so there is hope. As MrSaffron has said keep looking on the OR website for any status changes and keep your fingers crossed ! It has also been suggested that the fibre could be strung overhead on the existing poles so this may be an option in your case as well if it turns out the ducting is blocked.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 02-Dec-17 11:11:25
Print Post

If that is 2km of copper from the cabinet, you should be able to get some level of FTTC - probably down in the 5-10 Mbps. How would that compare to your existing ADSL2+?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Sat 02-Dec-17 18:46:48
Print Post

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

Current cabling is all underground ducting by the roadside. Just for some mad reason, they decided 25m from my house, to stick a short pole up and run the last bit overhead! Not clever, as they put the one and only pole right under a VERY large Oak tree (been there over 200 years). God only knows why they ran half the distance to my house (approx 25m) with a buried armored cable and then decided to run the last 25m from a pole! Who knows... Maybe they ran out of cable. Was talking to the Openreach engineer because they are going to replace the pole (50 years old and knackered). Even the engineer thought it was mad and said "why didn't they just run an armored cable all the way to the house?" Good luck to them, as it will need to be done by hand, as there's no other way to access it. Sorry... I've digressed a bit.

----
Mike
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Sat 02-Dec-17 18:48:41
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Current ADSL2+ sync is around 11Mbps. So FTTC not really worth looking at. But a good suggestion otherwise.

----
Mike
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Sat 02-Dec-17 18:50:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your comments, appreciated. Not going to get my hopes up by the look of it.

TBC as they say.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

----
Mike
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Dec-17 19:01:27
Print Post

If that "2 kms" is from the exchange and you are NOT on an EO (Exchange Only - ie directly connected without an intervening PCP cabinet), then you could have distance/attenuation problems.

However, if there is a PCP (oldish Green Cabinet usually), then it would be that shorter distance to your house, which has the potential of higher VDSL speeds.

Assuming that you do have a PCP and the general fibre upgrade is done conventionally as has happened to over 90% of the present "Superfast Fibre", with an FTTC (VDSL) Cabinet nearby, you would have to add in that PCP to FTTC distance.

The fibre will go to the FTTC, new copper links will be added from the FTTC to the PCP, joined to your existing PCP to house via "old copper" wiring.

The way it is done, is to maintain existing phone services including alarms, 999 calls etc, even if you rarely or never use a land-line telephone. Legal requirements etc.

--------------

In the meantime, you should ensure that you are getting maximum performance from your present arrangements, particularly making sure that your phone line is "quiet" by doing the 17070 QLT Test, cleaning/tidying any internal extensions etc.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Dec-17 19:18:40
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

But why shouldn’t it be FTTP rather than C that was being discussed ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to