General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Thu 07-Dec-17 20:27:21
Print Post

VDSL2 line down due to "network authentication" problem

[link to this post]

I wonder whether anyone has come across a problem where the Openreach engineer says that one of our VDSL2 lines has a 'network authentication' problem. Our Draytek 2860 router shows a solid DSL light, but the router won't connect. And no, this has nothing to do with the router username and password to connect to BT!

There are apparently about nine other businesses connected to the local exchange with the same problem, which is now with third-level Openreach support, and we've been down for four days - so far...

Edited by John_Gray (Thu 07-Dec-17 20:28:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Dec-17 15:41:06
Print Post

Re: VDSL2 line down due to "network authentication" problem

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

The PPPoE side needs to see the authentication system and the relay mechanism that passes on query to the provider itself and if that is not working then you can have issues, it may actually affect more people but until they try and reauthenticate it won't matter.

Generally if its the authentication server side it affects a lot of people, so if very local that would make it unusual. Another possibility is that the issue is in fibre side at the cabinet or the handover exchange i.e. you have VDSL2 sync but traffic can go no further

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Fri 08-Dec-17 16:37:25
Print Post

Is it near Stroud, Gloucestershire and has it been resolved?

Edited by witchunt (Fri 08-Dec-17 16:38:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User John_Gray
(member) Fri 08-Dec-17 21:40:57
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Yes, and yes - at 06:30 this morning, as if by magic!

[I wonder how you managed to guess correctly...?]
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Fri 08-Dec-17 21:43:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

> Another possibility is that the issue is in fibre side at the cabinet or the handover exchange i.e. you have VDSL2 sync but traffic can go no further

That's what it seemed like, since the router was showing a solid DSL light.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 09-Dec-17 08:10:24
Print Post

Seems there was some reconfiguring of the network at the headend and some users were not able to reconnect. It was resolved remotely.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 09-Dec-17 09:07:45
Print Post

I see it quite a lot on individual lines, we usually resolve it by a lift and shift at the cabinet. In other words moving the line onto a different DSLAM port.

However when that doesn’t work it gets escalated further, I remember about a year ago crossed fibre at the headend caused the issue. All lines would sync, but many (off that headend) wouldn’t authenticate. I remember seeing the guy working at the headend that presumably caused the problem. Luckily it was resolved within a few hours but affected hundreds of customers.

Icaras

Edited by Icaras (Sat 09-Dec-17 09:08:29)

Print Thread

Jump to