General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scootymack
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 23:00:20
Print Post

Upto Speeds

[link to this post]

I currently have Upto 76 Mbps with BT but generally get around 40 - 50Mbps

I'm thinking of switching to Vodafones Upto 38Mbps

Should I get close to the 38 as the line can obviously handle more or would I expect a similar % drop in speeds ie maybe 20-30?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Dec-17 23:05:17
Print Post

Re: Upto Speeds

[re: scootymack] [link to this post]

You "shouldn't" experience a proportional drop in speeds.

What are the VDSL A and B lines in the table from this phone number query please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User scootymack
(newbie) Sat 09-Dec-17 23:07:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

VDSL Range A (Clean) 64.2 44.6 17.9 11.7 39.8 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 53.7 33.9 15.4 8 27.6 Available -- -- Yes --

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Dec-17 23:43:10
Print Post

From those figures I think your best move may be to see if BT will downgrade you to Infinity 1 (55/10 maximum connection speed) free of charge if saving a bit would be good, of course ending up on the lower tariff.

Before asking them about that though we should look at how your connection is organised in the house. It can make several Mbps difference.

Are you connecting through an extension socket ot the master socket? If the master, using a filtered faceplate or a dangly filter?

Are there any extension sockets on the premises? It is irrelevant whether you use them or not. Just their existence matters.
Edit: Typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Dec-17 23:44:26)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Dec-17 23:49:21
Print Post

My Vodafone 38mbps service has a down speed of 40mbps and a max attainable of 48131.

Late evening speed tests from this site often show download speeds of about 36mbps.

The BT Broadband availability checker for my line shows a lower expected speed than yours.

Michael Chare
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Dec-17 04:26:53
Print Post

In addition to RobertoS's advice, you should also carry out the Quiet Line Test , dialling 17070 on (hopefully) your Land-Line Phone.

Have you any idea what length your phone line is, from your modem, out to your PCP (assuming you are not on an Exchange-Only line); and onward to your FTTC (local VDSL source), which should be under 100 Metres from the PCP and may be adjacent to it.

Be wary, "my" FTTC is 10 Metres from my front door; and 40 Metres from "my" PCP, but the original phone wiring from PCP to house, the show-house on a green-field site and second nearest to the PCP, wanders 250 Metres to get to the house, so for FTTC-VDSL purposes, my phone line is about 300 Metres long!
Standard User scootymack
(newbie) Sun 10-Dec-17 08:03:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks,

My modem is connected straight into a new bt master socket with built in filter and there's no extensions running from it. My pc is connected to the modem via powerline adapter. Even when connected via Wi-Fi with mobile devices in the same room as router the speed test results can be as low as 30.

I had openreach out as I complained about speeds after bt advised they were upping my speed to upto 76mbps and I was only getting 30-40. They said the line was fine but had been capped at the cabinet for some reason. I haven't seen a great improvement since then and do notice a lot of fluctuation on speeds.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Dec-17 08:30:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by scootymack:
My modem is connected straight into a new bt master socket with built in filter and there's no extensions running from it. My pc is connected to the modem via powerline adapter. Even when connected via Wi-Fi with mobile devices in the same room as router the speed test results can be as low as 30.

You need to do a speed test connected directly to the router/modem, not via a powerline adapter or wi-fi, that is the only way to measure the true speed.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Dec-17 17:43:10
Print Post

Call BT go to cancellations, speak with retentions on getting switched to Unlimited BT Infinity 1, it should bring down the price considerably and is 55Meg ie not much reduction in speed.

Let us know how you get on - number to call 0800 800150 and reason for call "cancellations." Once through to cancellations let them know the price is too high, if they cannot bring the price down you will switch to Vodafone. Make it clear you are happy to go to Unlimited Infinity 1. Don't be afraid to ask for a manager if they say this is the best price, it usually isn't the best price the manager can do smile
Standard User scootymack
(newbie) Sun 10-Dec-17 21:39:59
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I appreciate that my internal connections wont give me true speed indications. However when we first moved in 9 months ago and got fibre connected on upto 55mbps I was getting 45-50 speed results regularly while still using wifi or powerline adapters.

I will defo phone BT and see if they will downgrade me and see what price they offer
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to