General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aibreeze
(regular) Sun 10-Dec-17 10:59:51
Print Post

Exchange upgraded to Fibre, Uno or Zen?

[link to this post]

Recently discovered my exchange has finally been upgraded to allow for Fibre connections and currently looking who to go with. I'm currently with Uno who have been excellent in pretty much every way and I can't speak highly enough for their customer support. Still, I've always heard good things about Zen but they have always been so pricey that I never bothered but Fibre the prices aren't all that much different plus it comes with a bonus of a free router which makes it quite desirable. My only worry is I've been reading about people having problems with their Fibre connections from them, is this just an extreme minority and can it be resolved? I work from home and my internet connection is extremely important to me, I don't want to be stuck on a 12 month contract with problems that can't be fixed.

Also do they throttle in any way? Is unlimited truly unlimited? I'm a big gamer and pretty much download all my games and am about to get an Xbox One X for Christmas and I hear 4k games come at over 100gb so my connection will be getting a LOT of usage.

Any thoughts or advice would be highly appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Dec-17 11:26:40
Print Post

Re: Exchange upgraded to Fibre, Uno or Zen?

[re: aibreeze] [link to this post]

When exchanges are upgraded for fibre, this does not mean everyone can order, what does https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br... say for your postcode and house number?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Dec-17 12:43:53
Print Post

[re: aibreeze] [link to this post]

If you are using your phone line, Zen are very expensive for calls.

The Zen single thread speed issues are some configuration issue on their own LLU network and have in the vast majority of cases been resolved.

I'd stick with Uno if I were you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aibreeze
(regular) Sun 10-Dec-17 13:20:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
When exchanges are upgraded for fibre, this does not mean everyone can order, what does https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br... say for your postcode and house number?

That's what I checked initially, it's on the final stage, superfast accepting orders.

In reply to a post by jaydub:

The Zen single thread speed issues are some configuration issue on their own LLU network and have in the vast majority of cases been resolved.

Yeah I'm 95% likely to stick to Uno but thought it wouldn't hurt getting some opinions.

Edited by aibreeze (Sun 10-Dec-17 13:21:12)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 10-Dec-17 19:17:56
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:

Bit of a sweeping statement as you could a) have a call package or b) VoIP. No expensive calls with either. However the sum total of exchange line and broadband is more expensive than most other ISP with nothing special to offer.
  Print Thread

Jump to