General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Terryphi
(member) Tue 12-Dec-17 09:48:25
Print Post

Upload speed has dropped

[link to this post]

When I upgraded to FTTC in 2015 I enjoyed download speeds of over 36mbps and upload speeds of over 7mbps. I was very happy with this as I am about 1200 metres from the cabinet. As I was one of the first connections to the cabinet I expected performance to drop slightly over time. Download speed has stayed steady at around 36mbps but upload speed has gradually dropped to the current rate of just over 4mbps.
Checking my router stats it shows this:
B0 Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps) 4729
B0 Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps) 40000

Is this compatible with the 40/10 service I am supposed to be getting?

IDNet Fibre Lite
Running on Linux Mint 18.3 Mate
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 12-Dec-17 09:56:31
Print Post

Re: Upload speed has dropped

[re: Terryphi] [link to this post]

What does www.dslchecker.bt.com estimate for your line ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Dec-17 10:04:59
Print Post

[re: Terryphi] [link to this post]

Full 40 Mbps sync at 1.2km breaks pretty much all prediction models your upload speed is more in line with a 1.2km long line

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Terryphi
(member) Tue 12-Dec-17 10:15:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply Mr Saffron. Confirmed my view that I am lucky to have such a good download speed.
I can live with the upload speed.

IDNet Fibre Lite
Running on Linux Mint 18.3 Mate
Standard User colinshead
(newbie) Tue 12-Dec-17 10:24:30
Print Post

Hi

I have this issue all the time with my Plusnet fibre connection. I am 350 metres from the cabinet on a 55/10 Mbs circuit. When the service is functioning normally I get download around 49/50 Mbs and upload 8/9 Mbs (the line is impacted, old cabling and lots of cross talk).

Whenever things go a little pear shaped the first to suffer is the upload speed, it drops off sometimes to about 2 Mbs whilst download speed is pretty much maintained.

I believe that the DSLAM in the cabinet is programmed to try and maintain the download speed in preference to upload speed, which frankly is nonsense in my opinion, the obsession with download speed is driven largely perhaps by the marketing guys in the major ISP's, in reality many folk like myself would prefer a more balanced approach so that on-line backup etc. becomes more realistic.

Plusnet are very good at getting Openreach out to fix the problems, generally after a port reset the service returns to 'normal' at least for a few months !
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Dec-17 10:28:22
Print Post

[re: colinshead] [link to this post]

It could just be that the frequencies used for upload are the ones that are getting hit by noise.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Dec-17 10:44:06
Print Post

[re: colinshead] [link to this post]

Are you talking about the connection speed dropping off, or the performance measured by speed tests and observations on moving files around. In which case if its speed tests then nothing to do with the VDSL2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Tue 12-Dec-17 10:52:32
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Agreed. My upload speed is fairly inferior to my download speed, which would suggest that the voice side is slight impacted (I can tell via the QLT), seen as the upload frequencies are close to the ones used for voice.

William Grimsley.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Dec-17 11:04:37
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

There is the gap between the lowest frequencies that VDSL2 use and the voice bands which are filled with ADSL and ADSL2+

More frequency bins are allocated to the downstream side, hence why you can get more bits of download than upload usually, and the old ADSL adage that upload performs good on long distance lines does not apply due to the interleaving of the U and D bands

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Tue 12-Dec-17 11:06:51
Print Post

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the information.

William Grimsley.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to