General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 12-Dec-17 20:52:38
Print Post

FTTP: anything to be aware of?

[link to this post]

I changed jobs last year and am expected to work from home if I can't get in due to the weather.

My ADSL is usually reliable but when I was facing the prospect of possibly having to work from home on Monday it decides to become unstable which I suspect is due to noise (line is 3 km as calculated by Openreach when they last came)

Luckily I was able to get in on Monday but have bitten the bullet and ordered FTTP through Zen today.

I've been advised about the two stage process but was wondering if there's anything I need to be aware of during or following the install?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 8800NL
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Dec-17 20:59:00
Print Post

Re: FTTP: anything to be aware of?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Not really, think where you are going to request the ONT to go (wall mounted, power supply close by)
This should be within 25/30 meters of the CSP the first guys fit. .....

Zen seem clued up, should be easy enough.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 12-Dec-17 21:04:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Chhers Zarjaz

Always found them to be excellent so was only one choice.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Awaiting Zen FTTP
Router: Netgear D6400
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Dec-17 21:18:21
Print Post

Get the router set up when delivered, so you should be able to plug it in a confirm service straight away.

Zen donít pay for a Ďmanaged installí , so once the ONT is up and running, thatís that.

Whereabouts in the country are you ?

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Wed 13-Dec-17 19:59:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Milton Keynes

Good to know.

I'm going to be at work when the install is done and one of my parents is going to be here so will make sure the router is in situ with an ethernet cable (cat 6) popped through the hole in the side of the cupboard where it lives so it's a plug and play job.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Awaiting Zen FTTP
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 13-Dec-17 20:09:23
Print Post

I think you should take the day off and be there
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Dec-17 20:53:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I think you should take the day off and be there

Agreed, if I left it for my parents to handle all the install, who knows where it would of been put.

From the first engineer visit (external work) I was able to choose where the External CSP was to be installed.
And when the second engineer visit (internal work) I again was able to choose where the ONT + BBU was to be installed.

But when choosing these locations you really need to be realistic.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 13-Dec-17 20:54:54)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Dec-17 22:09:19
Print Post

Zen will provide a Fritzbox router, but this will need configuration, itís not difficult ... but in the couple Iíve seen the punter didnít already have a connection with Zen ... so may muddy the waters.

Milton Keynes, ah, so it wonít be me then.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Dec-17 22:11:41
Print Post

I kinda agree ....

but an X marks the spot for the ONT, and a parent proficient at making tea should do the trick. wink

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 15-Dec-17 20:10:01
Print Post

Day is booked off.

No problem with configuring routers, just wondered if TR-069 is used to push the details.

Router is here and I'm going to connect it tomorrow in ADSL mode to test the wireless strength, if it's not as good as my D6400 I'll switch back to that as it has a gig WAN port so should be fine.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to