General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 15-Dec-17 00:48:10
Print Post

FTTP did you move phone line over or keep it on copper

[link to this post]

Was talking to the engineer who don't my ONT install the other day and he said it was up to me if i move phone line over to fibre or leave it on copper, I was thinking it was best to leave it as it is in case of a longer power cut of something, just in case batteries ran out on the new ONT bit of kit (sorry don't know all the right lingo, it's all new to me)

Can i ask what others have done and also why?

All1
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Dec-17 01:26:15
Print Post

Re: FTTP did you move phone line over or keep it on copper

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

I move my phone number to VOIP because:

Saves cost of line and BT's expensive usage charges.

More reliable as long partly overhead line was always failing.

Better voicemail fracilities, email with sound file.

Avoids need to speak to Indian call centre.

Allows me to have nothing to do with BT who failed to provide a usable broadband service, and always threaten to charge me whenever there was a fault.

I don't have battery backup for the broadband but I do have battery operated phones, though I might have to get into my car and drive somewhere to get a good signal..

Michael Chare
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Dec-17 07:19:14
Print Post

If I was in your shoes I would keep the voice over copper, purely because it will be more reliable than FVA, ie will still work if no power or broadband. Yes FTTP is usually installed with a BBU unit but it will only last for a limited time in the event of a power cut. In a genuine life and death emergency at home, an always working landline is priceless.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Dec-17 07:58:31
Print Post

Who is your new ISP for FTTP ? Only BT Retail do an FVA service AFAIK.

If there is a decent mobile signal where you live, then Id not be too fussed about it.

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Fri 15-Dec-17 10:06:38
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Agreed. It's always a good idea to keep a phone line over copper active, and a corded landline phone to hand, just in case.

William Grimsley.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 15-Dec-17 10:07:00)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Dec-17 14:29:05
Print Post

We had everything moved over to Fibre, so I terminated my copper line in the BT80 Junction Box and connected up the supplied cable from the ONT to the NTE5A Master Socket which I moved closer to the ONT.

The main reason to moving everything to fibre was due to our copper line was that bad the line use to go dead when it was raining heavy, we also use to hear very loud screeching even when the Modem / Router was removed.

BT could never find the fault (so they say), they knew it was there so I was never charged when an engineer was sent out.

So moving it all over to new fibre and starting out fresh was out best option for us.

Granted the BBU might not last that long in a blackout, i.e. a few hours if that (not really had to try it yet), but we have packs and packs of rechargeable batteries to put in if the old ones go flat, so we are fine there.

What you really need to think about is would you benefit moving your phone line from copper to fibre (FVA), if not then don't, we benefited which was why we did.

Word of warning, if you move your phone line over to FVA you get a one off termination charge when you cease your copper line, I think ours was £35, hard to decode the stuff they put in our bill at the time (loads of refunds, discount's, compos, charges etc.), not too sure if they still do this charge so you might need to check before hand.

So its up to you.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 15-Dec-17 17:09:37
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

OK thanks for the replies folks.
It seems some moved because of poor phone line and i have no issue with my copper so i'll keep it, it's not let me down and i do have a corded phone hanging around somewhere as well so belt & braces to be safe, once again thanks guys.

All1
Standard User hoopla
(member) Tue 19-Dec-17 12:20:38
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
If I was in your shoes I would keep the voice over copper, purely because it will be more reliable than FVA, ie will still work if no power or broadband. Yes FTTP is usually installed with a BBU unit but it will only last for a limited time in the event of a power cut. In a genuine life and death emergency at home, an always working landline is priceless.
We only have FTTC but there has never been a phone plugged into the copper. VOIP all the time for us, at least for the last ten years.

But even if not, the UPS will keep things going for a few hours in a power cut, but it is fairly irrelevant anyway. Who would use a wired (not cordless) landline phone in a life and death situation? We all have mobiles. Far more convenient!
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Tue 19-Dec-17 13:02:00
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hoopla:
Who would use a wired (not cordless) landline phone in a life and death situation? We all have mobiles. Far more convenient!

Errrrr. Which United Kingdom do you live in ?? The one I live in doesn't have 100% mobile coverage.
More to the point, the house I live in doesn't have mobile coverage. I need to walk up the lane. Not very "convenient" in a life and death situation.
Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Tue 19-Dec-17 15:43:02
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

Also generally when theres been a power cut in our area the mobile mast has also been knocked out so would definitely prefer to keep copper as redundancy.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to