General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jacko0
(learned) Mon 18-Dec-17 17:08:03
Print Post

How much to regrade from ADSL to FTTC?

[link to this post]

Finally Kidbrook PCP2 cabinet has been upgraded (after a petition to Openreach)

I'm currently with Uno.net.uk for my ADSL and line rental. I asked for the costs to regrade to FTTC, seems a little expensive, or is that normal?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The initial, one-off, costs would be £45 for the line conversion and then £54 to activate the fibre.

The fibre packages we offer range from £22.49 for 100GB during peak hours to unmetered at £34.99. Do you have a preference for usage-based or unmetered?

The term of the service is 12 months at the installation address and you'll need a suitable modem/router with a VDSL modem inside.

The line rental would be £9.99 per month, plus the cost of the fibre above.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Dec-17 18:37:57
Print Post

Re: How much to regrade from ADSL to FTTC?

[re: jacko0] [link to this post]

Costs vary from provider to provider, but usually a setup fee covers both new customers joining or existing customers upgrading from ADSL to FTTC, and the cost varies from Free to £69.99

No idea what the line conversion charge is.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Dec-17 19:39:41
Print Post

These niche providers are always super expensive. By the time you join you will likely spend £200 as you also need to buy a VDSL router.

In your shoes I would switch provider, and in the process switch to fibre. You do not want metered for fibre in my view:

Prices right now, subject to change: All unlimited usage cap:
TalkTalk - Faster Fibre Broadband - £27.50 including line rental with free setup and free router:
https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/fibre/mk/

Sky Fibre - £28.88 including line rental with £9.95 setup and free router
http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/?DCMP=knc-GOO...

BT - Unlimited Infinity: £29.99 including line rental with £59.99 setup and free router. You get a £75 pre-paid master card though, which eats up the setup fee, and mastercard is accepted almost anywhere on the high street.
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broad...

Having used all 3 providers my best internet was with BT, the best customer support was with Sky.

The process of switching is super easy, assuming you have everything with UNO currently (phone, broadband and line rental). Just give the new provider your phone number as part of the order, and they will inform uno you're leaving and take over automatically. All you need to do is place the order with the new provider, do not cancel your line with UNO, if you cancel with the existing provider there is nothing for the new provider to takeover.

I am guessing you didn't take my advice to go for Infinity over here then?
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aaisp/f/4124304-100...

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 18-Dec-17 19:44:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jacko0
(learned) Mon 18-Dec-17 20:43:20
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I actually took your advice and did go with BT back then, but after a while the prices went up and I didn't want to spend so much on a bad ADSL line so I moved to Uno.net.

BT looks good as the regrade is free and the pre-paid card etc. Don't need a modem as I have a hacked Huawei HG612 that works on DSL and VDSL which I connect to a Ubiquiti Edge router.
Standard User jacko0
(learned) Mon 18-Dec-17 20:45:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, I think the line charge might be something to do with it being LLU, because if I try to do a fibre availability check and use my landline I always get an error. Something about it not being a BT line, but I have no idea.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Dec-17 00:54:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by jacko0:
I actually took your advice and did go with BT back then, but after a while the prices went up and I didn't want to spend so much on a bad ADSL line so I moved to Uno.net.

BT looks good as the regrade is free and the pre-paid card etc. Don't need a modem as I have a hacked Huawei HG612 that works on DSL and VDSL which I connect to a Ubiquiti Edge router.
As a reference the HG612 nowadays syncs quite poorly compared to newer devices. My Smarthub gets around 10Meg extra attainable speed. Might be best to hookup the smarthub and then the APs into that, and turn off the WiFi on the Smarthub if not required, this way you are getting latest modem and decent APs around the home. Naturally, each cabinet manufacturer is different, but I'd personally stay clear of an old HG612 nowadays.

With BT I always got a decent renewal price eventually, takes a lot of playing with cancellations smile

As you've had them before - you know the deal!

EDIT: It always pays to cycle around the providers, I generally go BT to TalkTalk to Sky and back again. If a provider offers a good retention, it will stop the cycle, otherwise off we go.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 19-Dec-17 01:44:23)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 19-Dec-17 19:51:53
Print Post

thats the only thing I can think off, a LLU to non LLU change.

Sadly the niche providers arent so niche anymore, it used to be you got yourself no traffic management as well as 1 month contracts.

But now on FTTC they still 12 months and the main players have scrapped traffic management, so the benefits are not as much as they used to be.

With uno of course you going to get personalised support as its not a huge corporate, that still has value, but the other benefits are not what they used to be. frown

With that said I tend to always say if you happy where you are then stay put, unless the financial implications are unacceptable, so if you can afford what uno quote then stay put if you happy with the service.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to