General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Dec-17 23:17:25
Print Post

Master Socket and openreach modem

[link to this post]

Hi
Just moved into my new house and BT are installing a new line / FTTC on Thursday.
Currently the master Socket is behind the sofa in the front room.

My setup will be openreach modem -> pfSense router.
Ideally I'd like the pfSense router upstairs in the spare bedroom/office. But I want to make sure I get the best connection possible.

From the master Socket is an extension in the hall ( not needed ), from that is another extension going to the spare bedroom ( not needed ). This extension is simply done by connecting the wires into the existing extension faceplate (piggyback). So I'm trying to work out the best way to get the pfSense router in the bedroom.

As far as I can tell I have the following options..
1. Get BT to install the new line into the bedroom.
2. Get them to install a new faceplate on the existing master and use the extension cabling connected to the internal krone strip. This would stop the extensions working but would get the router upstairs. Would joining the two wire runs affect the connection ?
3. As there are two pairs in the extension cabling could I make a data link from the master up to the bedroom and plug the pfSense into that ?

Any other better way to do this ?

In about 2 months I'll need to move the master into another room so I'm open to suggestions, but I don't want to sacrifice speed, reliability and performance..

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 20-Dec-17 00:38:21
Print Post

Re: Master Socket and openreach modem

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

The best way is probably to install your own Cat5e or Cat6 cable from close to the master to where you want teh router and terminate te cable in a suitable RJ45 socket.

If you do that you minimise the amount of internal cabling that is carrying the VDSL signal and thus reducing the chance of picking up noise and interference from within your house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Dec-17 06:17:38
Print Post

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

Another option would be to order a shift of NTE, get a new copper feed run straight to the bedroom where required.... if the CP has put enough ‘TRC banding’ on the initial install by Openreach this may cover having this shifted on the first visit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Dec-17 07:46:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I've actually ordered this as a new line so the provider has advised I can get the master install where I want. If I get it installed in the upstairs bedroom, then I'll have to pay to get it moved in a couple of months when the office conversion is done.

All cabling is in the walls so trying to get a cable internally will be hard work.
  Print Thread

Jump to