General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bob_lucas
(learned) Sat 23-Dec-17 11:17:23
Print Post

BT Infinity - guaranteed speeds

[link to this post]

I switched from TalkTalk ADSL to BT Infinity 1 in January 2017. My postcode is LE9 2EH and according to the BT Broadband Availability Checker, my connection to KIRBY MUXLOE Exchange is served by Cabinet 15.

Cabinet 15 is 285 metres from my home. The copper connection runs underground for 50% of the way. Then, it passes between three telegraph poles, before dipping underground again. Consequently, there will probably be at least five joints in the line.

BT provided a Home Hub 6 router which seems to work OK. My Windows 7 desktop computer has a wired connection to the router. My Windows 7 laptop and several Android devices connect via Wi-Fi.

When I switched from TalkTalk, BT estimated my download speeds would be between 54Mbps and 55Mb, with upload speeds between 9Mbps and 10Mb. I rarely achieved 54Mbps, although I usually achieved the minimum guaranteed speed of 50Mbps.

More recently, BT upgraded their Infinity 1 service to some subscribers at no extra charge. So in September 2017, I noticed a significant increase in download speeds. That lasted for a few weeks and on one occasion, my speeds peaked at 83.13 Mbps (up) and 17.42 Mbps (down). See https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15066049535...

Then, performance became erratic but subsequently stabilised at around 56 Mbps / 16 Mbps (tested, using a wired connection to my router).

The BT Broadband Availability Checker quotes the following figures:

VDSL Range A (Clean).
Downstream (Mbps) High 80, Low 65.4. Upstream (Mbps) High 20, Low 19. Downstream Handback Threshold (Mbps) 55.7

VDSL Range B (Impacted)
Downstream (Mbps) High 78.3, Low 51.9. Upstream (Mbps) High 20, Low 15.3. Downstream Handback Threshold (Mbps) 39.8

I have just re-contracted with BT for a further 18 months, in return for worthwhile discounts. BTís confirmation email estimates my download speed will be between 67Mbps and 80Mbps, and my upload speed will be between 19Mbps and 20Mbps. The minimum guaranteed speed I can expect should be 60Mbps.

I cannot achieve the minimum guaranteed speed of 60 Mbps and present average download speeds are usually around 55 Mbps, as per the speed test at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15138528687...

My router stats are as follows:

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084316+NQ64155250
Firmware version: SG4B1000B316
Firmware updated: 28-Sep-2017
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.64.0
DSL uptime: 12 Days, 22 Hours 53 Minutes 28 Seconds
Data rate: 19.00 Mbps / 60.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 23211 / 77309
Noise margin: 15.8 dB / 10.3 dB
Line attenuation: 16.8 dB
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 13237 MB Uploaded / 12258 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-RGPC
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Channel 11
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-RGPC-5
5 GHz wireless channel: Channel 36
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On
MAC address: AC:84:C9:B2:0F:B9
Software variant: -
Boot loader: 7.33.1

My connection appears to be very stable, and I have suffered no dropouts within the past 12 days. However, I do not understand why the router stats show a data rate of 19.00 Mbps / 60.00 Mbps, if the maximum data rate is 23211 / 77309. Consequently, I wonder whether BT have imposed a cap.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Dec-17 12:24:18
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity - guaranteed speeds

[re: bob_lucas] [link to this post]

Can you describe your set up please, whatís connected to what, and how in your property ? ( Iím talking telephone sockets, filters, etc)

Standard User bob_lucas
(learned) Sat 23-Dec-17 13:31:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The telegraph pole outside the property serves two houses. An overhead wire from the telegraph pole enters my home and terminates in a BT Openreach master socket, which was installed by Openreach several years ago. (see image at https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AADFEpDAswqbH-DHbYo4_q...

There is nothing plugged into the front of the master socket, but there are two wires connected to the rear of the faceplate. The first wire goes into my loft and splits into branches, which serve extension sockets in several rooms. All of the bell wires were disconnected a while ago. Three devices are plugged into these sockets (and each one has a filter):

Sky receivers (2)
BT6500 telephone base unit

The second wire, which is only three metres long, serves an extension socket in the adjoining room. My router, the fax connection from my printer/scanner and an ordinary telephone are connected to the extension socket (via a BT filter).

I hope this helps.

Edited by bob_lucas (Sat 23-Dec-17 13:33:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Dec-17 13:50:21
Print Post

Your link doesn't work for some reason ?

But from your very clear description (thank you) I is obvious that your internal set up is causing a 'bridge tap' fault. This will almost certainly be what is causing your speed issues.

I'm guessing your linked photo showed a 'normal' NTE ...... Is it possible to remove the front faceplate (causing the two attached extensions to be disconnected) Then plug the router in the test jack in the back of the NTE ... if possible post the same stats from the router again, this should show a pronounced increase in max attainable sync ....... Throughput won'y show any different due to a DLM cap.

Easiest next steps for you as a BT Retail customer is to ring them, explain your lack of speed (and no more) and hopefully they'll arrange a 'Broadband Boost' visit from Openreach .... a bit of jiggery-pokery with the wiring, and you'll be sorted.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Dec-17 15:00:15
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity - guaranteed speeds *DELETED*

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Post deleted by PaulKirby

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 23-Dec-17 15:03:05)

Standard User bob_lucas
(learned) Sat 23-Dec-17 15:58:31
Print Post

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I don't know why you were unable to view the picture. (I wish thinkbroadband would allow subscribers to upload picture files directly to the forum). However, I agree with your assumption that I probably have a standard NTE5 or NTE5A master socket. The master socket, which is clearly labelled Openreach BT, has a single output faceplate. I vaguely recall that when the Openreach engineer installed it, he said it was the latest version, which included a bell wire filter. It is not a NTE5C (with a curved front).

Your reference to a Bridge Tap prompted a Google search which in turn, led me back to the BT Broadband Availability Checker. I hadn't noticed the additional information at the foot of the page, which said:

Premises environment - Bridge Tap No; VRI No; and NTEFaceplate No. Last Test Date 14-05-2017.

I don't know whether that proves conclusively whether broadband performance is, or is not affected by a Bridge Tap. Furthermore, the quality of the ancient copper cable between the Cabinet and my home is also suspect and over the years, I have experienced far too many line faults.

Unfortunately, further investigations using the test socket will have to wait until after Christmas, because the socket is in an inaccessible position behind heavy furniture. However, I will go down that route as soon as possible. I presume there would be no charge for a call-out by a BTOR engineer, for a Broadband boost.

Incidentally, would it help, if I replace the master socket faceplate with a Pressac (or similar) filtered faceplate, which has separate voice and ADSL connections? If so, I could run a Cat 5 wire directly from the data terminals at the back of the filtered faceplate to a new outlet box and RJ11 socket, behind the router - and connect the telephone extensions to the other terminals.

Edited by bob_lucas (Sat 23-Dec-17 16:08:17)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Dec-17 16:34:06
Print Post

Really not sure why that checker says no to a bridge tap ? But then these things arenít 100% assured.

Not sure if your solution with the Pressac would achieve the same , but thatís because Iíve not tried one.

If you go the Boost route youíll get an end to end pair quality test and verify the pair itself. Plus the engineer can do a DLM reset once theyíve resolved any issues.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Dec-17 18:47:00
Print Post

I don't know why you were unable to view the picture.
Quite possibly because ). has been added to the end of the url. Removing the ). I was then asked to log in to view the picture something I thought would have been unnecessary.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Dec-17 11:41:39
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I can't see it even having signed in and removed the ). I'm getting You donít have access to this content. Youíre signed in as ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User bob_lucas
(learned) Sun 24-Dec-17 11:49:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I can't see it even having signed in and removed the ). I'm getting You donít have access to this content. Youíre signed in as ....

Should be OK now.

I shall have to find a different way to upload pictures. Dropbox used to be fine but now, it doesn't seem to permit third party access to files, even if I enable sharing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to