General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Dec-17 15:22:06
Print Post

Re: Not the best advert for G.Fast

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The way I see it, they should be working on ways to increase the speeds of lines that are slow, not to increase speeds of lines close to the cabinet that may already have a good speed.
The two aren't mutually eclusive and see no reason why Openreach shouldn't do both. Remember that BT is a business and should be free to invest its resources where it thinks it will get the best return.
Standard User arendall667
(regular) Tue 26-Dec-17 16:49:35
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. Using Google maps I'm about 140 meters from the cabinet. No idea if the wires take the most direct route as I live in a tower block (1st floor) and they are underground.

Anthony
Standard User arfster
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Dec-17 21:06:06
Print Post

[re: arendall667] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arendall667:
Thanks for the replies. Using Google maps I'm about 140 meters from the cabinet. No idea if the wires take the most direct route as I live in a tower block (1st floor) and they are underground.

I'd have guessed at least double - you're on the borderline of 80mbit.

Still, I'd have thought any line that could manage 80 with fttc would do better with gfast. Anyone got an up to date speed/distance chart?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 30-Dec-17 12:26:40
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

g.fast uses higher tones which are weaker. It has much more tones available but those tones drop off quicker over distance,

for a 67 low estimate on 'clean' you dont need to be on top of the cabinet, a line around 300-400m should get that estimate for FTTC.

Given openreach I think set a limit of 350m for g.fast I am surprised the line has g.fast marked as available as I am guessing its a bit over 350m. Have openreach decided to push it to longer distances?

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 30-Dec-17 12:28:13)

Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Sat 30-Dec-17 13:00:48
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
Given openreach I think set a limit of 350m for g.fast I am surprised the line has g.fast marked as available as I am guessing its a bit over 350m. Have openreach decided to push it to longer distances?

It might show it as available, but may not be able to order it because of the 350m limit (also below 100Mb limit).
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to