General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 27-Dec-17 18:45:57
Print Post

Am i losing the plot?

[link to this post]

I have had an intresting converstaion with BT call centre in Canterbury today and i'm not to sure who is pulling who's chain with this one but here goes.

I have had (what i call FTTP) installed at my place a white ONT box put on the wall etc about 2 weeks ago and this was done by OpenReach, i was told that i needed one more OR guy to come round and do something and order from isp and away i go.

So it would then be down to me to choose an ISP of my choice be that BT/Zen/Plusnet or whoever, now my understanding was no matter what ISP i went for I the same fibre (that OR put in) would be used, just the same as ADSL OR copper line is used then you pick your ISP, but according to todays call if i went for Zen now then Zen would have to install their own fibre network despite the fact i have OR coming in already, then if i moved to plusnet in 18 months they would have to instal their own fibre as well so in say 6 years i could hae tons of lines coming into the the flat.

Can someone explain who is right here, if BT are right it seems crazy, not to mention it's doing my head in

All1
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Dec-17 19:11:03
Print Post

Re: Am i losing the plot?

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Only a few ISPs support full fibre connections. They shouldn't need to install their own network but will need your connection to be GEA compatible (not entirely sure about that). I think the fact that you have FTTP makes that a moot point - I don't believe that OR will have installed FTTP then left you high and dry.

So you just need to sign up with one of the ISPs that supports full fibre.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 27-Dec-17 19:12:32)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Dec-17 19:18:31
Print Post

Yeah the one more visit would be for the engineer to do a test and also phone back with the serial number of the ONT so it knows to route your traffic to your ONT to decrypt.

As for them to install their own FTTP fibre I think that is rubbish, if that was the case then nobody would have FTTP when they move providers.
Also how would it work if you have more than one FTTP connection with different ISP, it uses the same fibre cable going into the ONT, so what they said doesn't make sense.

The way I see it FTTP is FTTP end of.
If the ISP are stating that then they have no clue or are confused.

My guesses they are confused.

I assume it was BT that said all this information.

What phone number did you call at BT?
I use 0800 587 4787 and have yet to have issues.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Dec-17 19:21:45
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Only a few ISPs support full fibre connections. They shouldn't need to install their own network but will need your connection to be GEA compatible (not entirely sure about that). I think the fact that you have FTTP makes that a moot point - I don't believe that OR will have installed FTTP then left you high and dry.

So you just need to sign up with one of the ISPs that supports full fibre.

While this is true as I found out when we got FTTP last year, the OP stated "BT/Zen/PlusNet" I know BT and Zen do FTTP due to these were the ones that I looked into, but chose BT due to the prices was a lot cheaper than Zen's.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Dec-17 20:09:07
Print Post

The call centre staff appear somewhat confused. What they told you is incorrect.

What lights are showing on the ONTE ?

Print Thread

Jump to