General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ninjaef
(newbie) Thu 04-Jan-18 10:27:42
Print Post

IPTV glitching jitter and picture corruption

[link to this post]

Hi

I am experiencing blockiness and glitching, jitter etc when whatching IPTV on LAN devices (wifi not used for this). The problem is apparent on any "channel" any device. Need help please.

* My broadband is 40Mb, FTTC where the cabinet is about 200metres away.

* Link speeds are 40Mbps / 11Mpbs

* This is a newbuild house on a newbuild estate so there is only one telephone socket in the house (we didnt want any landlines), behind the router. There is no faceplate on the socket, it is simply a connection block between the ASDL cable from the router, and the wires coming in from the cabinet. There is a BT filter on the ADSL cable.

* Various types of devices used: PC, Laptop, Raspberry PI3, Ubuntu server, MAGbox - so hardly the device(s) if it fails on all of them.

* Five different providers used now, all different servers , same result - so unlikely to be the provider. Other users of the provider report no such issues. Problem with NowTV, NetFlix, Amazon prime, Hulu and more.

* Ive looked at the incoming stream, and most of them are MPEG2/X.264 encoded. So should ne no problem in decoding and playing these common codecs.

Steps taken:

* Flashed the router with the latest VCF firmware so that is upto date.

* Disconnected all , ALL, LAN devices bar the device watching IPTV

* Replaced filter

* Replaced ADSL cable

* Use CAT5 LAN cable

STILL SAME!

I am advised that IPTV uses special protocols and settings and is sensitive to errors, and that it could be down to packet loss so to check FEC , QoS , router config and a few more. I have no idea how to do this or diagnose this problem. I would add that the rest of the broadband experience is fine, speed no complaints etc.

I am able to log in to the ruouter's web interface and navigate around, but there doesnt seem to be a SSH interface or anything useful for deep-debugging.

I have created a BQM using ThinkBroadband's monitor service which will measure lost packets and latency . I will run this for two days and come back with the results. Thus far latency is about 20ms and pcket loss is around 0% or so the graph indicates by absence of a red bar in the timeline. The monitor has been running since 6am today. i will let it run.

Can anyone please help by providing appropriate instructions to get me up and running. Thanks.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 10:43:26
Print Post

Re: IPTV glitching jitter and picture corruption

[re: ninjaef] [link to this post]

What ISP and what router are you using?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Jan-18 10:45:04
Print Post

Got a link to a speed test done at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Jan-18 11:01:23
Print Post

What speed do you get on fast.com (speed test on Netflix's own servers)?

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Thu 04-Jan-18 11:04:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by ninjaef:
Hi

I am experiencing blockiness and glitching, jitter etc when whatching IPTV on LAN devices (wifi not used for this). The problem is apparent on any "channel" any device. Need help please.

I am advised that IPTV uses special protocols and settings and is sensitive to errors, and that it could be down to packet loss so to check FEC , QoS , router config and a few more.

If you are using such services as Netflix/Amazon then it's not IPTV, it's what's called "OTT Streaming". Therefore what you've been advised about special protocols does not apply.

What's the connection speed between your router and your device (i.e. 10Mb/s 100Mb/s or 1Gbps)?

Also have you tried using a different LAN cable (Cat 6 would be better)?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 11:06:20
Print Post

This is a newbuild house on a newbuild estate so there is only one telephone socket in the house (we didnt want any landlines), behind the router. There is no faceplate on the socket, it is simply a connection block between the ASDL cable from the router, and the wires coming in from the cabinet. There is a BT filter on the ADSL cable.

I would suspect that you are not connected to the master socket, so all bets are off ...... first guess would be heavy errors due to a bridge tap on the internal wiring.

Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Thu 04-Jan-18 11:11:51
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I did think about that, but then wasn't sure as they said they have been monitoring the line and have seen no errors
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 11:29:39
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

It could be nothing, but in my experience wiring within new builds is often iffy.

A bit weird that the OP can't get any stats from their current router ?

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 11:32:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

A bit weird that the OP can't get any stats from their current router ?
Don't think that has been said - just that SSH isn't available. Stats may well be available but until the OP starts responding to requests we are running in a hundred different directions with nothing to give us any clue as to whether any of them are valid.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 11:40:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

but until the OP starts responding to requests we are running in a hundred different directions with nothing to give us any clue as to whether any of them are valid.

Known as 'The Openreach Gambit' I believe wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to